U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,256,249 times

Advertisements

My daughter's high school chorus is going to London this December to sing in a choral festival. For $3100 each person gets:

Round trip economy class air travel

6 nights accommodation at the Grovesnor Hotel; Victoria Station

Continental buffet breakfast - 6 meals.
Two dinners

4 meal Vouchers with a value of Ј 10.00 British Pounds each (appx US$ 16),

Round trip transfers from London airport to hotel
Half-day educational tour of London's West End and City with professional guide.
Half-day educational tour to either Windsor or Oxford,

Full day educational tour to either Cambridge & Ely or to Canterbury & Dover

One Transport for London 'Oyster Card' per person pre loaded with sufficient money for 18 (eighteen) single journey tickets on London's underground or busses.

MP3 player loaded with a range of five (5) specially commissioned audio guided, historical, cultural and entertaining audio walks of London.

Arrangements for a strictly student orientated and controlled 'New Year's Eve Celebration' at your London hotel.

Insurance Policy.
All tips and taxes to all service providers. It is considered appropriate for a gratuity to be presented to the Resource Person at the end of the tour. This is not included.

It would be fun to travel with the group of parents from the school (we are new and don't know these people). I'm not a world traveler by any stretch. But it occurs to me that I could buy my own plane ticket and book a cheaper hotel nearby (My daughter doesn't need me!) That would free me from my share of chaperoning duties (which will be minimal as there are many parents going) However, I know myself and I feel like I'll spend too much time dithering over what to do and how much each choice costs, whereas with the all inclusive trip those decisions would be made for me.

I'm not made of money...we will be doing fundraising but I can't do much of that since I work full time. this will have to go on the credit card and be paid off over time. I am also considering taking my younger daughter (12) with me. so that would be $9,300 for the whole family minus whatever fundraising we can do.

WWYD? Group tour, or go on my own with more freedom?

Last edited by librarySue; 04-27-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
How Old is your daughter who's class is going on the trip.

Half the fun is going with the group, Allot of the thing on the itinerary you will not be able to duplicate if you go as a family vacation.
Unless you are one of chaperones, you should not go, and her little sister definitely should NOT Go. This her older sister experience.

So The choice is we (all 3) of us will to as a family vacation, and she does not go with the school. or Just she goes with the school.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Have your daughter who goes, take you and little sis back for a tour next yr (on your own, and see all of UK for about 1/3rd the price).

Attending as a non-participant / tag-a-long will be too complicated and a disruption to D1 and the group. Since you don't have deep relationships with group, just let them go, it would be frustrating to infiltrate at this point. (these trips pack lots of 'process' baggage.... earning money, sharing the pain...)

Take D2 someplace really fun, but not as special as D1's trip.

Save the bones for a significantly special trip (as a family).

You can do this MUCH cheaper than $3,100 per person. And be safe, have a great time, and LOTS of fun.

I have traveled (and lived) overseas with my kids during our 'homeschooling' yrs. Usually stayed in private guest homes for $10/night (including at least one meal). I could pick hosts with kids close in age, based on their profiles of accommodations. We had a great time. I doubt if we ever spent more than $3k/month traveling as a family. We did about 12 - 15 different countries in Europe alone. (also did Asia, but not SA or Africa)

Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,256,249 times
Thanks for the thoughts, stealth. To be clear...our presence would not be a disruption...this is billed as a family trip and at this point the family members going outnumber the students. D1 will have to do some rehearsing and singing for the festival that we won't be a part of......

I do like the idea of taking D2 somewhere else...we could hit some place WARM that week. Have to decide by June 1

Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,664,473 times
Let your daughter go without you for a couple of reasons:

1. It's more fun for her if Mom isn't tagging along. Our senior class went to New Orleans in 1967 with only the principal and his wife as chaperones and it was that very lack of supervision which made the trip memorable. We did things we've have never done with Mom or Dad right there.

Consider it a learning and coming of age experience for her. Of course, you have to trust her to do that. If you don't trust her, she already knows that and will see your presence as just more evidence of it.

Give her room to be an adult.

2. You can't afford it. If you have to put $9000 on a credit card, you can do without it. Why risk your family's financial well being on something you don't really need? Best save that for emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel