U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM

30 posts, read 96,538 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I am trying to book a vacation to South Beach through Expedia, I don't have a credit card and will be using my debit card to make the purchase. I know with sites like Expedia I will be paying for the trip upfront but I am really nervous about the hotel "hold". Will the hotel still place a hold on my account for incidentals? If so what could I expect that hold amount to be? Does each hotel have a different hold amount? Hope someone can give me some helpful info!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 AM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR3124 View Post
Hi,

So I am trying to book a vacation to South Beach through Expedia, I don't have a credit card and will be using my debit card to make the purchase. I know with sites like Expedia I will be paying for the trip upfront but I am really nervous about the hotel "hold". Will the hotel still place a hold on my account for incidentals? If so what could I expect that hold amount to be? Does each hotel have a different hold amount? Hope someone can give me some helpful info!

Thanks!
I would contact the hotel directly to find out before you purchase the package. Also, I would research the hotel prices on their website as they may have discounts, etc. Often, the hotels are more willing to work with you if you are able to book directly through them. I used to use Expedia a lot but have found booking directly with hotels and airlines offered way more flexibility than through a third party site such as Expedia. Just my two cents.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
I've seen signs at hotel check in desks stating holds of anything from $25 to $500 or more will be placed on debit cards. The nicer the hotel, the higher the hold it seems.

You really need to call the hotel directly to learn about their policies.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 AM

5,188 posts, read 13,370,726 times
You shouldn't use a debit card to book online....they provide you NO protection! And, I agree...call the hotel directly....3rd party bookings are a pain!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM

30 posts, read 96,538 times
Thanks for your responses! Will definitely be calling the hotel! And cb at sea...debit card is all I have so i kind of have no other choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or