U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times

Advertisements

Even though I descend the "Cut in the Hill" (I-71/75 as it goes down to the Ohio River and Cincinnati) several times a week, the view of Cincinnati's skyline always takes my breath away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM

71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I have driven coast to coast by car for years just because I love to do it.
It's very fascinating to see not only the landscape change as your trip progresses but also to see the culture change as well.

I just get so excited about it!

This thread makes me want to jump in the car right now and drive!!
The only time I didn't get excited was driving across Texas from the NM boarder to say about Dallas. Well I did get excited, I got excited, knowing we would soon see some decent scenery again.. I agree about the culture. That is the best part of driving vacations.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,297,822 times
I just discovered the Travel forum! Nice to see some familiar "faces"! Yes, the journey is at least as important as the destination as far as I'm concerned. We love road trips, and while not all scenery is equally exciting traveling in the American West (95 in Nevada between Nampa, ID and Winnemucca can be a challenge...sand and sagebrush hour after hour after hour...), the sheer vastness of the sky and the horizon is always an uplifting experience for us. Good for the eyes, if you're used to cityscapes! We usually bring CDs with movie soundtracks, and those big themes go really well with the grandeur of the landscape. Try listening to the Gladiator or a collection of Western movie themes while driving through the West!

And it's interesting to see, when traveling in Europe, that even densely populated countries actually have a lot of beautiful open countryside in-between the towns. Of course most of that is managed, not wild, but it's still "nature"! In Europe I prefer the train to the highways.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,617,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4d View Post
I've increasingly learnt that the journey is often as important as the destination, and in some cases, the journey is the destination!

I'm one who enjoys looking at scenery, especially when taking long bus trips. Naturally the type of scenery which I do not see often would interest me the most. I wouldn't really bother with the scenery in my native country (or the lack of)!
Yes. Some of the best trips are when you stop for a while in some place you didn't intend to stop in, and you find all kinds of surprises or meet some interesting people you didn't expect to find.

I like trips where the journey is the destination, or the destination is just one portion of the journey.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I just discovered the Travel forum! Nice to see some familiar "faces"! Yes, the journey is at least as important as the destination as far as I'm concerned. We love road trips, and while not all scenery is equally exciting traveling in the American West (95 in Nevada between Nampa, ID and Winnemucca can be a challenge...sand and sagebrush hour after hour after hour...), the sheer vastness of the sky and the horizon is always an uplifting experience for us. Good for the eyes, if you're used to cityscapes! We usually bring CDs with movie soundtracks, and those big themes go really well with the grandeur of the landscape. Try listening to the Gladiator or a collection of Western movie themes while driving through the West!

And it's interesting to see, when traveling in Europe, that even densely populated countries actually have a lot of beautiful open countryside in-between the towns. Of course most of that is managed, not wild, but it's still "nature"! In Europe I prefer the train to the highways.
Yes I feel the right landscape really brings the music to life and vice versa! It feels like you're in a movie! Some songs are also great soundtracks driving through the city.

When going across the US, whenever I was in the passenger seat I'd play songs somehow related to the state/area we were travelling through. In California I put on say the Beach Boys, with some Buddy Holly through Texas and Frank Sinatra as we were approaching the Big Apple.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM

43,547 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Whenever we fly to the islands, I get super excited looking at the water changing colors and the little reefs here and there...

My pulse actually quickens.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
My wife and I identify all the birds we see when traveling. We keep a notebook, listing every species of bird we have seen in each county we go through. We have a rule that each county has to be validated by at least three species, even if we have to pull off the highway down a back road looking for some, or in winter, driving down residential streets looking for a yard feeder. We don't have to see them all, it's OK to identify them by voice. It can be very hard to find even a single bird in the desert southwest at 3 oclock on a summer afternoon.

We've logged three or more species of birds in 2,268 counties.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Who doesn't?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,297,822 times
Couple of people I know; getting there is all they're interested in. "Seen one rock, you've seen 'em all!" Good rocks wasted on ingrates!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM

10,657 posts, read 9,036,543 times
Whenever we travel, we always like to build in a little extra time for the getting there part. My husband and I will stop at anything that looks interesting and I love finding those funky little attractions that, while modest, can actually make for an enjoyable time. You get to meet the most interesting people if you stop and visit a bit along the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or