U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 AM

38 posts, read 53,628 times

Advertisements

Good day people!

My family is coming to Europe in June this year for a month-long holiday (and to visit me). We will be visiting the following countries:

England
France
Italy
Sweden
Norway
Iceland

We are somewhat interested in museums and shopping, quite interested in culture/architectural marvels, and very interested in nature/scenery/outdoor activities.

Can anyone suggest places in these countries highly worth visiting, or activities worth trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
In England, London is the main attraction. But I also suggesting Wales (which is part of the U.K. but not part of England.) In England I would suggest Bath for the Roman Baths, Hastings and Canterbury.

In France, Paris is the main attraction. I would suggest visiting the areas of Normandy & Brittany in the northeast and in the South, I suggest Marseille, Avignon, Aix-en-Province and Nice. Also visiting Monaco.

In Italy besides Rome, one should visit Florence and Venice.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM

737 posts, read 2,250,487 times
Budget? How many people? Rent an apt. or get hotel rooms? Mode of transportation? Active people and is there a general interest in architecture, history, food, wine, shopping?

A month is a fair amount of time, so that is a great thing. The above questions could be answered so that you can get more information from the forum.

Chava61 has given you some ideas that are great for me, but who knows what is best for the group?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Budget? How many people? Rent an apt. or get hotel rooms? Mode of transportation? Active people and is there a general interest in architecture, history, food, wine, shopping?

A month is a fair amount of time, so that is a great thing. The above questions could be answered so that you can get more information from the forum.

Chava61 has given you some ideas that are great for me, but who knows what is best for the group?

We are a group of 4, and we don't really have a budget but we would try to save on unnecessary luxuries like expensive hotels, expensive restaurants, first class cabins and the like. A simple place to stay is good enough for us!

We are looking to travel between the countries by flying or by train, and we are open to the possibility of driving within the countries, if that is a good idea.

We are most interested in history/culture, architecture, nature/the outdoors and shopping.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,812,640 times
England - London (SO much historical/artistic stuff to see it will blow your mind). Also, if time, York, Hadrian's Wall, Bath and Stonehenge.
France - Paris for the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Left Bank. Also, Versailles just for the sheer effrontery of the French royalty.
Italy - I would go see all the Roman ruins in Rome, Pompeii, Herculaneum as well as Venice and Florence (watch out for pick-pockets!)
Iceland - I'd book onto a guided tour that will take you all around the island. You can stop at the Blue Lagoon, all the waterfalls (Top 10 Best Iceland Waterfalls - our list of the best that we've visited), ride some Icelandic ponies and Thingvellir where you can see the American and Eurasian tectonic plates being torn apart by the mid-Atlantic ridge.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM

8,264 posts, read 11,130,236 times
Don't skip the Viking Ships Museum in Oslo. Despite the name it also includes the Kon-Tiki and Amundson's Fram.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

Wow looks like there're many more things to do than I thought! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In England, London is the main attraction. But I also suggesting Wales (which is part of the U.K. but not part of England.) In England I would suggest Bath for the Roman Baths, Hastings and Canterbury.

In France, Paris is the main attraction. I would suggest visiting the areas of Normandy & Brittany in the northeast and in the South, I suggest Marseille, Avignon, Aix-en-Province and Nice. Also visiting Monaco.

In Italy besides Rome, one should visit Florence and Venice.
I'd also highly recommend the Loire Valley in France, it's not too far from Paris (south) and is just stunning.
I was at Versailles, Paris and Fontainbleau during the past weekend.
Versailles is filled with wall-to-wall people and beauty; Fontainbleau is delightful and great if you want remove yourself from the madding crowds.
If you don't feel like going in the buildings, the gardens are a delight (and free).

I'd also suggest that you go to your local library (if you have a US library nearby) and borrow some travel books. For a good overview with photos, try the DK Eyewitness books.
Don't lock yourself into a too strenuous itinerary. A month is not a very long time.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4d View Post
Good day people!

My family is coming to Europe in June this year for a month-long holiday (and to visit me). We will be visiting the following countries:

England
France
Italy
Sweden
Norway
Iceland

We are somewhat interested in museums and shopping, quite interested in culture/architectural marvels, and very interested in nature/scenery/outdoor activities.

Can anyone suggest places in these countries highly worth visiting, or activities worth trying?
Remember when you set your itinerary that travel time between countries is probably a day from one to another. That's more than a week with your plans.
That only gives you 3 weeks to sight/cultural-see. With 6 countries, that's 2 per week.
Trim it down, perhaps a "Capitals of Europe" tour to encompass all of your countries? There's always culture in the capitals and each has surrounding countryside worth seeing.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,675,459 times
In France, you oughtto go and see La Camargue in the south and the city of Aigues-Mortes. It's still one of my favourite spots in France and I've seen a lot of this country. Brittanny is also worthwile seeing, beautiful nature-and-ocean scenery.

In England, Canterbury is interesting, albeit very touristy. The Lake District in the NorthWest is also worth a visit (even more so when you're a romantic ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel