U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM

30 posts, read 25,333 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum, coming here because I would like to start traveling more. I am just here to get info and opinions on different places.

I guess I should start off by asking a question. I am from the NY/NJ city area, 25 year old woman, and I would love to visit the south. I want to go to a smaller town. Can anyone suggest some good places to go to. I wouldn't mind taking a road trip or even taking a plane and then driving through a few places.

I hear the people in the south are so nice and polite and I would just love to experience how it is down there. I would like to go to a rodeo and I love outdoor activities, and would like to try the food. Also, I love the accent <3 so I wouldn't mind seeing a few sexy cowboys! Nice change from the guys over here I'm sure....

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you !
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:06 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,960,180 times
I don't know about the number of sexy cowboys, but there are a number southern areas I'd recommend. Charleston, SC has a beautiful downtown, great food, lots of history and great outdoor activities. It would be a long, but do-able road trip. I also like the upstate parts of North and South Carolina and Georgia - Hendersonville area in NC (many will promote Asheville, but I wasn't a fan), Greenville, SC and areas around Dahlonega, GA - hilly to mountainous, outdoor activities, some charming towns. Smallish southern cities have always appealed to me when I've visited.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,002,463 times
1. Charleston, SC
2. The Great Smokey Mountains national park area of western NC/eastern TN. Cherokee is an interesting town to visit. Also, I agree with the last person about Dahlonega, GA and parts of northern GA.
3. New Orleans- pretty far for you, but awesome city. Not a town, but the French Quarter is great.
4. Savannah, GA- close to Charleston, SC, similar feel
5. FL panhandle a.k.a. "The Redneck Riviera"- towns such as Destin, Fort Walton Beach, and Pensacola. A drive along the FL panhandle is really interesting as well.

I would also add that you're gonna have difficulty finding a "sexy cowboy". For every one of those, you'll encounter 100 Billy Bobs with goatees, missing teeth, and ones who say "we don't like your kind around here...".

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,695,918 times
It's not actually a part of the South, but Ft. Worth, TX might fit your agenda. So too would Austin. Both have plenty of interesting things to see and do, an active night life for young people and cowboys, some of them genuine.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Ma763 thank u for the great suggestions. Have u visited all of these places?

Nolefan34 thank u, I know just like w any other guys it has to be 100 bad ones to one good but oh well. That's another thing I'm hoping the people will be welcoming.. I'm just so sick of nj I wish I had family in other places.

Hi stillkit ya I was wondering about Texas also but I didn't know if it would be too cityish. Although I am looking for some fun nightlife so thank u for mentioning that.

Anyone else have any suggestions. I just remembered something funny.. There was this boy I met online when I was like 16 he was from Louisiana I would talk to him on the phone and all I "loved" him we were supposed to go visit eachother and be together lol. Then both our parents got a 400 phone bill and that was that. I remember how much I loved his accent and how he was different though. Anyway I would like to visit New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana, not for him haha.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM

72,146 posts, read 83,834,323 times
I completely agree with Noelfan except for New Orleans, if you are looking to find the real south, the small towns, the friendly people, NOLA isn't for you. It is a great place for partying and food, but I do not think it represents the south. Charleston is at the top of our list and Savanah right below it. There are also some awesome small towns in Va. I would consider, depending on time of year and number of days or weeks you have, to maybe fly into Reagan airport in VA and rent a car, you can drive the entire eastern area into Florida. If you don't want to drive quite that much, maybe you should consider flying into Atlanta. Another true southern state with history and wonderful people is Mississippi.

Coming tothis website is a great starting point. I would recommend you also log onto some of the individual states and ask about things to do and see.

Good luck, keep us posted and have a wonderful trip whenever you take it. The south is a world of its own.

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I completely agree with Noelfan except for New Orleans, if you are looking to find the real south, the small towns, the friendly people, NOLA isn't for you. It is a great place for partying and food, but I do not think it represents the south. Charleston is at the top of our list and Savanah right below it. There are also some awesome small towns in Va. I would consider, depending on time of year and number of days or weeks you have, to maybe fly into Reagan airport in VA and rent a car, you can drive the entire eastern area into Florida. If you don't want to drive quite that much, maybe you should consider flying into Atlanta. Another true southern state with history and wonderful people is Mississippi.

Nita
Ya Charleston and Savanah are sounding good. I would like to do some driving around later on, but I think for my first trip I will just fly in somewhere.Mississippi sounds good too. I kind of figured New Orleans was like that, obviously not having the small town vibe, but I def would like to visit one day. Idk about Atlanta someone I know moved there. I always thought it was more of like a party kind of town like NY. I know all the rappers go there and stuff lol, it just doesn't seem like a small southern town, cool place to visit though I'm sure.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Been looking through some SC forums. I was wondering do people have "southern" accents in SC, not really right? I kind of wanted to go to a place where people have a heavy accent just to here how they speak, I love it. Mississippi would have a heavier accent right? Also, what specific towns in Mississippi would be nice to visit? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I literally know ZERO about anywhere South. I have been out of the country, but have actually never been anywhere out of state except upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel