U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,410 times

Advertisements

What do you think? I am looking into my finally ETSing from the freaking Army vacation which is going to happen approximately 7 months from now. Now my family happens to be from Indonesia so I am no stranger to the region and I've been looking extensively into these countries. They seem to be perfect places for a single guy like myself to party and unwind. So anyone have any experience with these countries? Which one is better buck for the bang?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM

328 posts, read 574,198 times
If you like to party then time your vacation around the full moon and to to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party. They have one each month during the full moon.

Singapore is just a big city with a lot of rules, I wouldn't consider it a place to unwind. Go to Koh Phangan to party then hop the ferry to Ko Tao to relax and go diving. You can fly into Koh Samui which is about a 30 minute ferry ride to Koh Phangan.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM

38 posts, read 53,563 times
Bang for the buck or buck for the bang?

It really depends on what you are looking to do. Thailand generally gives you better value for money (but not necessarily quality). There're many more things to "do" as well (festivals, national parks, the great outdoors) and more places to party and get wild. Singapore has a number of high-end clubs which are expensive and exclusive, if that's the kind you dig.

Tell us more about yourself and what your ideal vacation is like, and we can give you more suggestions.

I am from Singapore and I have lived in Thailand, so perhaps I can give you a suggestion or two!

Old 12-12-2017, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 453 times
aside from "vacations" , which is more preferable to have my internship, Singapore or Thailand?

Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,583,756 times
You couldn't have picked two more opposite choices, Singapore is a pricey place with parks, modernized neighborhoods easy to get around to & lots of rules & regulations to make sure it runs like clockwork. Thailand is just the opposite with little observed regulation - their national motto could be "mai pen rai" or "don't worry about it" concerning most "rules" - which makes for a much cheaper & full-of-surprises stay, mostly good but with some bumps, which to me makes Thailand more interesting but also more effort may be needed unless you are drinking & lounging on the beach most of your stay.

Also unfair is that you are asking to compare essentially a city with an entire country. As a: perfect place for a single guy like myself to party and unwind. ... Which one is better buck for the bang? ... it's Thailand all the way unless you are very well off & "partying" means mingling with class-conscious professionals in fancy clubs to network.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Default Internship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkitek View Post
aside from "vacations" , which is more preferable to have my internship, Singapore or Thailand?
INTERNSHIP?

all about the career field ! (and studies)

Thailand is PERFECT for some careers (including Medical)
Singapore for others (especially finance)

If lodging is FREE, (and you have some money to burn) choose Singapore, as you can get nearly anywhere from there VERY CHEAP every weekend! (similar from Bangkok, but more complex (2 airports))

Language skills?

Cultural exchange ? = Thailand

Econo internship (I. E. YOU PAY) = Thailand (best opportunities for low budget)

How long of internship? Try to become a Singapore PR!!! most desired passport in the world!

I LOVE both, but I HATE shopping (both can get on my nerves)
Thailand is EZr to escape (to countryside)
Singapore parks are GREAT (cuz everyone is 'shopping')

Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Why not both?
You only need 2 days in Singapore to check out all the attractions.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM

5,923 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
You only need 2 days in Singapore to check out all the attractions.
This is a great point, especially since Air Asia flights between them are so cheap. We've actually booked flights from Thailand to Singapore as "burner tickets" so we had proof of onward travel to secure a visa to Thailand, $30 flight that we had no intention of taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel