U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

944 posts, read 1,452,863 times

Advertisements

I am putting together a trip to Moscow & St. Petersburg,

How many days do I need for both cities to really enjoy and are there any other cities / towns you suggest I visit.

I assume I will not need a car and when I travel from Moscow to St. Peters I can take a flight or there is a overnight train I hear is 8 hrs and nice.

Hotel Moscow - Ritz Carlton

Hotel St. Pete - ? Considering the W or the Astoria

Musem St. Pete - Vodka Museum

I enjoy museums, art/photography, architecture, flea markets, consignment shopping, Vodka tastings, Caviar, fine dinning, hidden hole in the wall dinning and shopping, Hip lounges, bars and clubs, live music. and off the beatten track things of interest.

I would also like to buy a Russian Sable fur coat whilst I am there.

If you can give me any ideas I would really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,350,632 times
I'm at lunch so I don't have much time to type right now, so I'll just address the coat.

A sable coat bought in Russia may be cheaper than elsewhere, but will still cost at least $10,000. (I'm just guessing and that's if you can get one)

You can get a minimum quality full lengh mink coat in Russia for $3,000 or $4,000 and up up up. Fox will cost at least twice that. Five years in Russia and I never saw a full length sable coat.

It may also be possible that even if you could find and afford a sable coat, getting it out of Russia is one formidable problem, and getting it into the US could be an even bigger problem.

You might want to do a whole lot of research first.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I'm at lunch so I don't have much time to type right now, so I'll just address the coat.

A sable coat bought in Russia may be cheaper than elsewhere, but will still cost at least $10,000. (I'm just guessing and that's if you can get one)

You can get a minimum quality full lengh mink coat in Russia for $3,000 or $4,000 and up up up. Fox will cost at least twice that. Five years in Russia and I never saw a full length sable coat.

It may also be possible that even if you could find and afford a sable coat, getting it out of Russia is one formidable problem, and getting it into the US could be an even bigger problem.

You might want to do a whole lot of research first.

Thank you for taking the time out of your lunch to tell me this.... I am looking for a over the knee coat. Now that you mentioned about how to get it out to the country and into the US I will deff. do my research.

Again thank you for your time and this information

Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,046,431 times
My advice:

If you take the train, see if you can buy it in advance. The ticket agent in Moscow was rude and unhelpful, and thus I couldn't go to St. Petersburg. She outright refused to sell me a ticket, and had an overall bad attitude.

Honestly, 3-4 days in Moscow is enough. You can see pretty much all the prestigious buildings in a day (if you keep a relatively brisk pace) but could allow for two... really depending on what you want to see and do. I stayed seven, and that was too long for that city. For the first time ever in my life (and likewise the only time since then) I changed my plane ticket to go back early. In my experience, Russia takes a lot of patience and a bit of a thick skin, because the people aren't exactly warm and cuddly, nor are they particularly helpful if you have a question. I don't know about the hotels you've listed, but I stayed in a B&B and the people who ran it were nice... albeit they were expats from Western Europe.

I don't regret going, because I always wanted to go, and I think it's worth the trip. However, of all the places I've ever been, Russia is one of maybe three places I would never return. I'm not sure what kind of traveler you are, but I would recommend (as with any city) to explore as much by foot as possible. But I absolutely love taking in cities by foot. Like azoria, I'm in a time-crunch now and have to leave for work soon, but if you want, when I get back I could dig through my pictures and post them here if you would like to see (and I would try to limit them to the city's less-prestigious sights.)

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM

38 posts, read 53,550 times
I have just returned from Moscow and St. Petersburg, and I must say that Russia is an interesting country.I have always wanted to visit it, and this visit wasn't a disappointment, even though it was certainly too expensive.

Sure, the people aren't exactly the friendliest, but I've met disgustingly rude as well as friendly people in EVERY country I've been to. Strangely enough, Russia isn't a place I would like to live/study/work in, but I would most definitely want to return again as a tourist, as there remains so much of the country I have not seen.

If I had lots of time, I would spend a week in St. Petersburg. There is so much to see and so much history to experience. 4 or 5 days for Moscow would be sufficient. Don't plan your schedule too tight, because many of the tourist attractions (eg. Lenin's mausoleum) can be open one day and closed randomly the next, without warning.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM

thank you for the posts.

I am not into graves or prisons or anything depressing.

I am interested in architecture, music, the art/ music/ deff. the fashion scene.

I figured out where I am going to stay in St. Petersburg - The Grand Hotel Europe --- Found out they have the Caviar Bar which I will deff. try out.

Is there a museum where they have Faberge Eggs on display, also any galleries for up and coming artists and also shops or schools for up and coming Fashion Designers?

Few other questions that I am going to add.

Where should I spend my weekends for the best Night life Moscow or Petersburg and any suggestions where I should go? I am looking for something very hip.

Do they have signs in english or is every thing in Russian? I don't speak a ounce of Russian so I may consider taking a course before I leave to learn some basics.

Do they have Tour bus rides some big cities like Paris, London, NY to name a few have double Decker buses where you can get on and get off for the entire day and they tour all the main sights.

Would you suggest I visit any other countries that are close by? looking on a map I notice Finland looks very close to st. petersburgh and there are a few other Eastern / Slavic countries close by.

consinment shops or thrift shops, vintage, fleamarkets I would be very interested in these

Spa treatments?

Lastly I appreciate all the posts and info but, please for the sake of others who are Russian or not I KNOW that there are friendly and unfriendly people ALL OVER THE WORLD . I rather you suggest places that you had a great experience or maybe ones you may thing are not worth it... I don't want this thread to turn out to become a war. thanks

i just found this site http://www.frommers.com/destinations...448021122.html

http://rt.com/

http://expat.ru/phonedir.php?cid=95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37n5L3iKz7w

Last edited by =Lavender=; 05-03-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,350,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Is there a museum where they have Faberge Eggs on display
You have heard of the Hermitage, yes?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You have heard of the Hermitage, yes?
NOOOOOOOOOOO Care to educate me on it????

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,296,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post

Would you suggest I visit any other countries that are close by? looking on a map I notice Finland looks very close to st. petersburgh and there are a few other Eastern / Slavic countries close by.

consinment shops or thrift shops, vintage, fleamarkets I would be very interested in these

See if you can get a cruise/ferry from St. Petersburg to Helsinki and Stockholm across the Baltic Sea. There are plenty of tours departing from Stockholm, but I don't know if any originate from St.P. There is ferry service between Helsinki and St.P, and there should also be one from Helsinki to Stockholm, so you can probably piece your own itinerary together.

What to shop for? Baltic amber jewelry!!! If you're interested, do some research about the different colors of amber, places of origin, and jewelry styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or