Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times

Advertisements

On a trip by car, last November, I was surprised that a motel we stopped at about 9:00 PM refused to take cash as a payment.

The older guy said we needed a credit card or an extra $200 damage deposit in case the room got trashed. ( the wife and I are 63)

What I don't understand is, --if--there was damages, shouldn't he have to proceed in court to collect and not the other way around--( him deducting the damages from my credit card and ---I--having to contest it )

I knew one has to make a damage deposit when leasing an apartment.
I didn't know the same applies for renting a motel for one night !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
Not really. The hotel I work at will autmatically charge a $200 smoking fee if there is any evidence that someone has smoked in the room. We have also charged guests when they left their room a mess (like disgustingly messy). We always take pictures and people have refuted it, but it never escalated to court.

However, for guests that are on a cash basis, we do not collect a damage fee. Most likely this motel had experienced a guest in the past who caused some damage to the room, thus forcing a rule where all guests must supply an extra deposit.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I don't see how they can charge it when if you don't sign all you have top do is dispute the charge. Then they have to take you to court or nothing.Never heard of this before.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
It could be that it is a way for the owner of the motel to prevent theft by employees. The older guy at the desk could have been an employee rather than the owner.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
When you are running a motel, you are by definition, dealing with a transient population. How on earth could he sue you when he doesn't know who you are or anything? Yeah, might ask for an ID, but your ID might be fake, the address could be wrong, you could be moving, etc. I've never tried to pay cash for a hotel, but they always ask for a credit card for damages or incidentals - even when I have a free night with points or have prepaid with priceline.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Yep....it's almost impossible to rent a motel/hotel room without a credit card or a bank debit card. Only a locally owned cheaper motel will take cash in our area.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Use to be if you were paying by cash you had to pay at check in. If you did not put down a deposit you were blocked from calling long distance, pay per view. and room service.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM

164 posts, read 838,399 times
Put the room on the credit card when checking in, then pay cash when checking out......

We do it all the time.....

Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
On a trip by car, last November, I was surprised that a motel we stopped at about 9:00 PM refused to take cash as a payment.

The older guy said we needed a credit card or an extra $200 damage deposit in case the room got trashed. ( the wife and I are 63)

What I don't understand is, --if--there was damages, shouldn't he have to proceed in court to collect and not the other way around--( him deducting the damages from my credit card and ---I--having to contest it )

I knew one has to make a damage deposit when leasing an apartment.
I didn't know the same applies for renting a motel for one night !
Sign in using a credit card telling them you will be paying in cash when you check out.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i'm surprised that this comes as a surprise to some ..... it's been many years since i've stayed at a place that does it any other way

you don't settle your account until checkout, however the owners do want to protect themselves and it's part of your agreement when you decide to stay a night there

i've stayed at cheaper motels on a cash basis where you've had to let them hold a deposit - they sent housekeeping to the room to make sure everything was OK with it before giving us the money back

not a big deal - i've never had them actually charge me for anything from a deposit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel