Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 AM

136 posts, read 141,826 times

Advertisements

Please do not park your small RV or pickup truck with a 6 foot trailer in the truck parking spots at rest areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Truck drivers have very strict federal guidelines on the hours we can drive and we need every single spot we can get!

There is nothing more disappointing than thinking you see a spot at a rest area, going to pull in and seeing a Mini Van with a pop up camper behind it hogging the whole spot!

Car parking lots at rest areas are hardly ever full, or even close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Please do not park your small RV or pickup truck with a 6 foot trailer in the truck parking spots at rest areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Truck drivers have very strict federal guidelines on the hours we can drive and we need every single spot we can get!

There is nothing more disappointing than thinking you see a spot at a rest area, going to pull in and seeing a Mini Van with a pop up camper behind it hogging the whole spot!

Car parking lots at rest areas are hardly ever full, or even close!
Amen.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic for this thread & forum

Most people are serious mental midgets.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Perhaps your state highway system could post signs to that effect. NO campers in these spots. It might be a good idea to suggest that to them.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Perhaps your state highway system could post signs to that effect. NO campers in these spots. It might be a good idea to suggest that to them.
My state? I have been to 43 states in my career. Happens everywhere.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
It's not about the hrs you can drive and where you chose to spend your down time it's about the size of your vehicle and how the rest area is designed.

Your reason makes no scene as not all truckers hrs or service hrs will not be the same. Trucks come and go at all hrs.

What about this sign at some rest areas?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It's not about the hrs you can drive and where you chose to spend your down time it's about the size of your vehicle and how the rest area is designed.

Your reason makes no scene as not all truckers hrs or service hrs will not be the same. Trucks come and go at all hrs.

What about this sign at some rest areas?
No, they aren't all on the same schedule. Does every trucker in America have to be on the same schedule for a rest area to get full? No, your logic is flawed.

Rest areas and truck stops are always full at night. Always.

As for the signs, that should pertain to large motor homes. Those I understand being in the truck parking spots. What kills me is, car parking lots at rest areas are pretty much always nearly completely empty! A pickup truck with a small trailer will fit in 3 parking spots sideways, maybe 4. Truck parking areas fill up way before a car parking lot will.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
My state? I have been to 43 states in my career. Happens everywhere.
Big whoop. I've drven through 48 plus 10 Canadian provinces and I'm not even a professional driver.

At some rest areas there are no places for cars pulling trailers to park in the car areas, and in others, cars with trailers are specifically directed to the truck parking area.

They pay the same tolls as a big rig, and are entitled to use the rest areas as well. For un-tolled highways you always have the option of getting off and pulling into a truck stop. Moderator cut: See Comment Get on the radio and ask how the parking is up ahead before you get to the point that you're in overdrive mode.

By the way, I don't own a trailer.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker of the ideas.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Big whoop. I've drven through 48 plus 10 Canadian provinces and I'm not even a professional driver.

At some rest areas there are no places for cars pulling trailers to park in the car areas, and in others, cars with trailers are specifically directed to the truck parking area.

They pay the same tolls as a big rig, and are entitled to use the rest areas as well. For un-tolled highways you always have the option of getting off and pulling into a truck stop. Moderator cut: See Comment Get on the radio and ask how the parking is up ahead before you get to the point that you're in overdrive mode.

By the way, I don't own a trailer.
Moderator cut: See Comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker of the ideas.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Why do you think that you are entitled to that parking space when the car pulling the trailer might also need it? Where would you like them to go? The car parking isn't equipped for trailers in most rest areas. They have just as much right to that space as you do.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why do you think that you are entitled to that parking space when the car pulling the trailer might also need it? Where would you like them to go? The car parking isn't equipped for trailers in most rest areas. They have just as much right to that space as you do.
BS. There is room for them 99% of the time.

Like I said, a large motor home or somebody pulling a large trailer, I have no problem with them parking in the truck parking....But I have seen people driving vehicles barely larger than regular pickup truck parked in there. Hell I've even seen just regular old cars parked there, no trailer or anything. Blocking an entire spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel