U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,979,910 times

Advertisements

I often times fly home over the weekend on a high frequency route out of Milwaukee. The planes are usually not full. Can I go to the airport and go to the airline desk and ask to fly that same day and get a good deal on a ticket? If I planned on going home and didn't get to it really woudn't bother me since I live so close to the airport and parking is very cheap. Do airlines do this or would the price of the ticket be really high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,080 times
Sorry, I dont know of any airline who still does this. Try one of the ticket consolidators...Orbitz, etc....that's probably as good as its going to get. Walk up fares are usually awful, even on day of travel.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM

11,929 posts, read 21,508,334 times
The airlines place a premium on last minute walk-up fares, the effect is the opposite of what you want to accomplish. The only way to do what you want to do is work for an airline or know someone who does to get you a "buddy pass".

Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
I tried doing that once, it would have cost me $1500 for a 55 minute flight.

It is possible in some other countries, but not the USA.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
That's sad that airlines would rather fly planes at less than full capacity versus selling last-minute stand-by tickets at a discount.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I often times fly home over the weekend on a high frequency route out of Milwaukee. The planes are usually not full. Can I go to the airport and go to the airline desk and ask to fly that same day and get a good deal on a ticket? If I planned on going home and didn't get to it really woudn't bother me since I live so close to the airport and parking is very cheap. Do airlines do this or would the price of the ticket be really high?

Not really. Last minute fares are some of the MOST EXPENSIVE fares out there.

However, if you fly Southwest, there is a way you can do it. Book a weekend fare a minimum of two or three weeks in advance. If you decide to go, you have the ticket. If NOT, rebook it for another weekend as there is NO CHANGE FEE. Sure, you will have some money ties up in prepaid fares BUT that should not be an issue if you are doing it frequently.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
With yield management the airline know most of the planes are flying mostly full, The last minute walk up are priced that way, so they can pay to bump someone off the plane, and pay them off. Even if there were extra seats, they would not discount them to get any warm body on the plane. What that would cause it the last minute flyer to not book there seats 1 week out, and just take there chance of getting a deeply discounted seat. If you have the time to kill, over a few flight cycle there is bound to be a few open seats, the airline does not want to 'discount' them for those types of passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or