U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

I am planning on traveling to California in a few weeks, possibly arrinving in San Diego or LAX..am thinking of taking the coast up to San Francisco then taking the Coast Starlight train to Seattle..I only have about 10 days..any suggestions, also thinking of just flying into San Fran and then going up to Seattle..I am just looking for any suggestions on what the best troute would be and things that are a must see!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
If you're going to drive north, you simply MUST take the Pacific Coast Highway from wherever you start to wherever you're going.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,993,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you're going to drive north, you simply MUST take the Pacific Coast Highway from wherever you start to wherever you're going.
Agreed. I did the great-California road trip two years ago. I started out in southern Big Sur, drove Highway 1 to Monteray, then skipped up to San Fran, then up to the redwoods, turning around just north of Eureka, I believe.

Besides driving Hwy 1, I would also say a must is Point Lobos, south of Monteray. I would also say that it would be a damn shame to miss the redwoods.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,768,423 times
i say go for gold and see it all, start in SD.

was based in ventura the last three months and was doing daily commutes to santa monica along PCH or santa barbara. even when i was having a down day i knew at least i'd have some nice scenery to look foward to on my commute, which always propped me up.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,829,122 times
Another vote for Hwy 1...There is nothing like it. Yosemite is another must see.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,294,624 times
The Pacific coast highway and sights along it are spectacular. Rent a convertible and don't hurry.

Going over the mountains to Pinnacles State park is not a bad diversion. Consider the Hearst castle and don't forget Carmel, nice to visit even if Clint isn't mayor anymore.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM

6,069 posts, read 9,533,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i say go for gold and see it all, start in SD.

was based in ventura the last three months and was doing daily commutes to santa monica along PCH or santa barbara. even when i was having a down day i knew at least i'd have some nice scenery to look foward to on my commute, which always propped me up.
Trouble with starting in SD is that the PCH isn't continuous. Going through Camp Pendleton you'd be on I-5, but that's not a very long stretch. OC on PCH will be nice. But then you get to get through LA. Ick! Given only 10 days and depending how fast the OP wants to travel, it may be better to start north of LA.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Trouble with starting in SD is that the PCH isn't continuous. Going through Camp Pendleton you'd be on I-5, but that's not a very long stretch. OC on PCH will be nice. But then you get to get through LA. Ick! Given only 10 days and depending how fast the OP wants to travel, it may be better to start north of LA.
Yeah, but then he would miss San Clemente and Dana Point and Laguna Beach and the little ferry to Balboa Island and Redondo Beach Marina and going under LAX and Malibu!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM

14,258 posts, read 14,144,864 times
Near to Hearst Castle is a nice town called Morro Bay.

Has anyone mentioned the Monterey Bay Aquarium yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or