Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

I have at least 15,000 airline miles.

News, DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Racking-up 10-million frequent flier miles, like the George Clooney character in “Up in the Air” sounds like something you only see in the movies until you meet Jack Vroom of Dallas.

“I amassed not quite 38 million miles,” Vroom said.

Dallas Man Racks Up 38 Million Airline Miles « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
In my account right now, about 600,000. I've used at least that many in the past.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,702 times
It took me 20 years of constant international travel to hit 7.5 million on Northwest. Can't imagine how you could get much more and actually spend time at your destination.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I rarely seem to have enough miles to actually use them to get a free ticket especially now that the airlines make it even harder to do so.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM

181 posts, read 155,370 times
I had 30,000 but I got rid of them for Marriott points which I find I get more use out of. Plus, I pay for most of my flights.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In my account right now, about 600,000. I've used at least that many in the past.
Dude use those miles, you just never know when the airlines will suddenly say "oh those miles are no good anymore". The airlines are constantly devaluing. You will wake up one day and find them worthless.

As for me I still have a few hundred thousand in my account. I am working on my second million miles of actual travel on Delta, but no telling how many miles I accrued via credit cards, specials, etc. 5 million maybe?

38 million miles the guy was playing the system. The airlines closed most of the loopholes on that. Looks like, from the article, American airlines caught him misbehaving and revoked them all anyways. That was from 3 years ago so it would be interesting to see how that played out.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Between United, American, Delta, Southwest, Marriott, and Starwood, I have a bit more than a million points. I'm planning to retire in 8 years and burn through them.

My personal life travel pattern has changed. I used to take 3 or 4 major travel trips every year and burn through everything. Skiing in Chile most summers. A Europe trip. A western ski trip. A few quick trips to somewhere warm in the winter to cut the edge off. I've mostly stopped doing that over the last half dozen years and the miles and points pile up quickly.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Wow how do some of you accrue hundreds of thousands of miles? I get a lot of miles through credit card bonuses and credit card spending, but even 300,000 is a lot...and especially if you're saving them for a rainy day.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wow how do some of you accrue hundreds of thousands of miles? I get a lot of miles through credit card bonuses and credit card spending, but even 300,000 is a lot...and especially if you're saving them for a rainy day.
You have ti know how miles/points are awarded and play the game.

Example, I had to fly to Florida on business. I had several hotels and resorts I could stay at in the area. I figured I would spend X amount on plane fare, hotel and car rental. Using my frequent flyer number and credit card tied to that airline, I would get a certain amount of miles. But, if I booked that same trip, staying at select resorts and using their preferred rental car in a vacation package booked through the airline, I got triple points.

Another example is knowing who are their partners. An airline frequent flyer program often comes with partners such as hotels, rental cars, restaurants, and a host of services. If two items are the same price, why not use the one that gives bonus miles versus nothing to you. And, even when using them, you charge it all to the credit card from the airlines resulting in more miles for charging it to the credit card.

Of course the main way we get miles is loyalty to the airline. If you take 10 flights a year on 5 different airlines you not likely to get many miles booked to each the individual airline account, but if you used only one airline, all the miles are on one account.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
For most of us? Work travel - lots of trips to China and India with my butt in coach class, knees against the seat in front of me, for 15 hours straight, with a screaming child in the aisle over.

Combine that with playing the game of credit cards and hotels, etc. The problem is so many people are playing the game that miles are being devalued every year. Those that are saving miles "for a rainy day" are taking a huge risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel