U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM

213 posts, read 724,763 times

Advertisements

@FlyMIA: Excellent suggestion. I am sure the FA would be able to direct them along the right path.

@Budke: Thank you for the information. I was hoping they wouldn't have to go through that but from your post it seems like they do have to go through Passport Control and security. Thank you for the information.

And yes, they have around 2.5 hrs between the two flights. Assuming their baggage is checked all the way through to Dallas, they could disembark and straight away make it for Terminal 3.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,308,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It isn't any more difficult getting around Heathrow than most of the major international terminals and I would think that if the planes are on time 2 hours should be more than enough to make the transfer.

Heathrow: Travel between terminals
Good link, but there actually are no directions how to get from 5 to 3. It took me another 2-3 links to get to the right site. This is where the info is, in the Flight Connections site:

Heathrow: Terminal 5 International Connecting to Terminal 3 International

Designated busses will take them to T3, departing every 10 minutes or so. So: not the train, apparently!!!

I suggest that you (Abpat) e-mail, fax or print out and send that page to your parents. Connection time is minimum 90 minutes! So that may be some cause for concern. I'm sure the 90 minutes include going through passport control and security.

Another thing about Heathrow (at least Terminal 5--I have not traveled through 3) is that the actual gates are not announced until about 30 minutes before boarding, so you can't sit in front of the gate and relax and wait--you have to check the monitors constantly for when the gate information comes up (hard if you have jet lag), and then quickly move to the gate which may be quite a distance away, even perhaps by a connecting train. T3 may be smaller than T5, so the gates may be more accessible--but I found the process in T5 to be really annoying.

I don't want to give you the impression that your elderly parents will be overwhelmed by the complexity of Heathrow, but just make sure they know ahead of time what they'll have to do--and they'll need to ask questions all the time to make sure they're going the right way. They probably won't have time to do any airport shopping.

Incoming passengers are told to fill out British immigration forms, but since your folks are transferring to an international flight, they won't have to do that. Also, tell your parents to keep a close eye on all their travel documents, and keep them in a special big travel wallet/pouch. That sounds so obvious, but when you're elderly and have traveled for 10 + hours already (?) you may get easily distracted and just stuff the papers in the bag, in the shuffle. And then, when you need to produce them, there is this sinking feeling...

On the upside, Heathrow is full of people from everywhere, and all ages, and it seems that most of them get to where they're going. Signs everywhere, like another poster said. So with the proper preparation, (and make sure your parents know to drink water now and again!) they should be fine.

PS Just saw your post about 2 1/2 hours in-between flights. That should be okay, then, if the flight is on time.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 05-11-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Adding PS

Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

@Clark: Thank you so much for this informative post. This answers a lot of questions, both asked and unasked.

I could not find the link while trawling through Heathrow's website last night but I did stumble upon a Youtube video on Heathrow's channel that walks one through the process:

Heathrow Flight Connections video - YouTube

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

180 posts, read 425,959 times
I just came back home vacation and I flew from New Delhi, India to London, Heathrow. My flight was an hour late and I had roughly two hours to make my way from terminal 5 to 3. I barely made my flight because I had to pick up my ticket from London to DFW in Heathrow. If they have their tickets already printed out, it shouldn't be a problem but I had to stand in line to get my last ticket home (I started off in Kathmandu, Nepal). The bus ride from terminal 5 to 3 is about ten minutes. What was great about London's airport were there were plenty of airport staff in purple vests or sashes that are there to help answer passenger's questions. Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Thank you so much for the information!

I have been thinking about the boarding pass and how Indian airports do not allow the actual boarding pass to be printed at home. You can do the web-check-in at home but you would still need to get to the check-in counter to get the boarding pass issued to you.

Would it make sense if I do their London-DFW check-in before they leave India and get them their boarding pass printed, so that they do not have to go through that process at Heathrow?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM

180 posts, read 425,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post

I have been thinking about the boarding pass and how Indian airports do not allow the actual boarding pass to be printed at home. You can do the web-check-in at home but you would still need to get to the check-in counter to get the boarding pass issued to you.

Would it make sense if I do their London-DFW check-in before they leave India and get them their boarding pass printed, so that they do not have to go through that process at Heathrow?
Not sure to be honest. I've only passed through India but my short experience were that they have some of the toughest security checks/measures that I've been through. Leaving from DFW to KTM, I recieved all 3 of my boarding passes. Coming home from KTM, I only recieved 2 and was told I had to pick up my ticket in Heathrow. It wouldn't have been a problem, but my flight was late, and there were long lines through security and the ticket counter. Navigating Heathrow wasn't that bad. Just follow the signs for "international transfers", short train ride, then to terminal 3 shuttles. And when in doubt, ask Heathrow staff. They are by far some of the nicest airport staff who are pros dealing with cranky, tired massive amounts of international travelers.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,308,204 times
Quote:

In my experience you can't go on the British Airways website (assuming they're flying BA) and get your seat assignment and boarding pass until 24 hours before departure. You can probably request that the London-DFW boarding pass be e-mailed to you as a confirmation. You should be able to forward it by e-mail (so they can print it out) or print it out and fax it to your parents in time before their departure, but if they rely on you getting it printed and mailed, there probably won't be enough time.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM

They are flying the HYD-Heathrow leg on a BA flight and the Heathrow-DFW leg on AA flight (code-share).

Considering there is a 12 hr gap between the two flights, I think I will be able to satisfy the 24 hr rule and get their boarding passes emailed to them, before they leave for the Hyd airport.

I hope the above sentence made sense.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,714,135 times
Quote:
The layover time is around 2 hrs.
I know I'd be a tiny bit nervous with a 2 hour layover that included a change to terminal 5, since they'll have to go thru security again (despite bus traveling in the secure zone) and if their timing is poor could in theory be waiting 15 minutes to catch that bus.

They'll probably be fine, just saying cutting it kinda close.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Yeah. I had assumed because I booked both the flights through BA website, and even though the second flight is on AA, it is still named as BAXXXX. So I assumed that BA will be obligated to make alternative arrangements if the second flight is missed due to the first flight arriving late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or