U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,629,477 times

Advertisements

I was once a breath away from taking a brief vacation in Malta, while the rest of my family was in Sicily. For Sicilians, getting there is a joke....either on a ferry/hydrofoil from the eastern coast of Sicily or an Air Malta flight. I've always been interested in the fusion of Sicilian, Arabic and English culture, and in what the place would feel like. I didn't go, in the end, but I'm still intrigued by it.

What is Valletta, the capital, like? What languages are most advantageous? I heard they speak Maltese, Italian, Sicilian, and English. Do they drive on the left? If so, are there buses to get you to see all the interesting and scenic points on the island(s)? Is it expensive? How is the food? What are the Maltese like, especially to tourists? Is the "Blue Lagoon" worth the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,972,300 times
Malta is a very cute island.
Maltese and English are the most commonly used languages, but all stores etc use English so it won't be an issue for you.
Valetta is a small town, very nice, full of history, and entirely walkable. You can visit most of it in a day. There is a large roundabout at the entrance of town with buses leaving for most places on the island. Taxis can be a good option too.
I went there about 10 years ago and enjoyed my stay. I can't remember what prices were like then, but don't forget it's an island, and very touristic, so things can be expensive, it all depends on what you are planning to do, where you are planning to stay etc.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Great question as I'm interested in any / all answers myself.
Hubbie was there in the Navy and it's one of the few places in all the places he was he would like to revisit.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was once a breath away from taking a brief vacation in Malta, while the rest of my family was in Sicily. For Sicilians, getting there is a joke....either on a ferry/hydrofoil from the eastern coast of Sicily or an Air Malta flight. I've always been interested in the fusion of Sicilian, Arabic and English culture, and in what the place would feel like. I didn't go, in the end, but I'm still intrigued by it.

What is Valletta, the capital, like? What languages are most advantageous? I heard they speak Maltese, Italian, Sicilian, and English. Do they drive on the left? If so, are there buses to get you to see all the interesting and scenic points on the island(s)? Is it expensive? How is the food? What are the Maltese like, especially to tourists? Is the "Blue Lagoon" worth the trip?
I have been to Malta twice. Once for a conference and once on a cruise. I loved the place!!!

Grand Harbour and Valletta are very historic. Interesting, walkable and safe. Medina is also worth a visit. Do use the local buses. They are old, picturesque, safe, clean and cheap. It cost us 49 cents to get from Valletta to Medina.

Just about everyone speaks English and we found the people to be very pleasant and friendly. Food was okay. Not great but good. They use the Euro but we found prices to be very reasonable.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,629,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have been to Malta twice. Once for a conference and once on a cruise. I loved the place!!!

Grand Harbour and Valletta are very historic. Interesting, walkable and safe. Medina is also worth a visit. Do use the local buses. They are old, picturesque, safe, clean and cheap. It cost us 49 cents to get from Valletta to Medina.

Just about everyone speaks English and we found the people to be very pleasant and friendly. Food was okay. Not great but good. They use the Euro but we found prices to be very reasonable.
What is their food like? Which cuisines does it resemble?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What is their food like? Which cuisines does it resemble?
It was pretty standard European fare. I don't recall anything specifically 'Maltese'. I had fish one day (it is, after all, an island) and thought it was rather average. There was less fish and sea food than I expected.

To be honest, I am having difficulty remembering the specifics of what we ate which suggests that it was unremarkable. But neither do I remember it being bad. Hence why I said good, not great.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,280,587 times
My mother and her family (obviously) are Maltese and I can tell you Malta has a very distinct cuisine - however, you won't get it at any restaurants there for some reason. What they sell is much blander and tourist-friendly.

Maltese food tends to be spicy (the only European food I believe to be spicy). I think this may have to do with its strategic position in history as a trading post. Curry is very common, and most dishes are rice-based. Rabbit and Chicken are popular meats.

There are Maltese versions of italian food (such as ravoli and spagetti) and I do find the Maltese versions better. As for vegetables, chokos (chayote) and squash are often used. It is a shame that so few people get to try authentic food there.

The language is a fascinating mix of Spanish, Italian, English and 14th Century Arabic. Out of all them it probably resembles Arabic the most.

There are more maltese living in Australia than Malta - it was one of the major destinations for Maltese immigrants 40-50 years ago.

I have been to Malta and couldn't enjoy it. Too small and provincial for me

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,344,637 times
I was once planning a trip to Malta. I never went there, though.

This is a link to give you some idea of what Maltese cuisine is:

Maltese cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or