U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,646,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Many "tourists" do not want to do anything "different". That would be a red flag signalling that their travels are motivated by something weird like curiosity. Seeing or experiencing "something different" should never be the objective of traveling.
I totally agree. For me, it's the variety of the US (been in 42 states, but want to see the Great Lakes and the UP of Mich.), Eastern Canada, Mediterranean Europe, the Southern Cone of South America, and maybe, Brazil.

I have "some" curiosity to go to Tokyo and Hong Kong, but it's really only the above travel destinations that interest me, having enjoyed them so much in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,148,829 times
Hell, no. For one thing, I don't want any of my money going to them if I can avoid it.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,060,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Probably not.

Too expensive.
I don't like long flights.
Nothing much I'd want to see there.
I live in Southern California - plenty of Korean culture, restaurants, here.

The above also applies to South Korea, Asia, Australia, Africa or basically any place that is longer than about a six hour flight.

Travel is a hassle and it is expensive. Don't want to deal with jet lag. I can get 70% the satisfaction seeing online something I can see in person plus it is more comfortable, I can read descriptions or hear audio content and it's FREE.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 881 times
Have any of you read the book "Escape from Camp 14" by Blaine Harden? I joined a book club this summer and one of the genre of books was war/heroism. I found this book quite by mistake at a local library. I'd like to say that I enjoyed the book but that would be sadistic. More like I was thankful for the horrible information that this book contained. I had read Yahoo articles and posts about this horrible country;but what an eye-opener this book was. The horrific living conditions that these people bear and having to "pay the price" for "sins" of their fore-fathers is beyond sad. We Americans are blessed with so much but why does our president chose to look the other way? And now the latest is that North Koreans will be sent to prison (death) camps for not mourning enough or being insincere when Kim Jong iL died. I pray for this nation often. To this I'd say "really?" but this is really what is truly happening.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,148,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably not.

Too expensive.
I don't like long flights.
Nothing much I'd want to see there.
I live in Southern California - plenty of Korean culture, restaurants, here.

The above also applies to South Korea, Asia, Australia, Africa or basically any place that is longer than about a six hour flight.

Travel is a hassle and it is expensive. Don't want to deal with jet lag. I can get 70% the satisfaction seeing online something I can see in person plus it is more comfortable, I can read descriptions or hear audio content and it's FREE.
Your post reminded me of another reason not to travel to Worst Korea. If I want to be treated poorly by Koreans, I can just go to a restaurant here. I've been to all sorts of ethnic restaurants and have never been treated more like an "outsider" than at a Korean restaurant run by Korean immigrants.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Your post reminded me of another reason not to travel to Worst Korea. If I want to be treated poorly by Koreans, I can just go to a restaurant here. I've been to all sorts of ethnic restaurants and have never been treated more like an "outsider" than at a Korean restaurant run by Korean immigrants.
Be happy that you DON'T have a Korean supermarket in your area.

At the Super H Mart locally, I had this woman hit me three or four times with her cart in the produce section. I looked over at my Korean friends and they let me know that this was NOT unusual behavior. I am about the size of a NFL lineman so it set me back a bit.

Once I checked her into the Kimchee counter, the behavior stopped.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,362,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not on your life! I spent the better part of two years on and near the DMZ. Looked across to North Korea many times. Was ambushed by North Korean soldiers. Participated in the hunt for the assassination team that tried to kill the South Korean president in 1968. Was there when the USS Pueblo was taken and was hustled back up to the border.

Seen and experienced enough of North Korea to last me a lifetime. Not interested!
Well said, Curmudgeon! Did a DMZ tour while assigned to Kunsan AB ('79-'80) Although I was never involved in combat operations during my USAF career, the DMZ was the next closest thing. Just the few hours our group spent there was a real eye-opener.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You will never understand the emotional power of the Pieta until you are standing in front of it. You will never fully appreciate the sound of the bells in Elizabeth Tower at Westminster until you hear them in person. You will never be able to picture the gleen of the stones in the streets in Dubrovnik until you see them with your own eyes. The smell of the canals in Venice, the texture of the dust on the Acropolis, the color of the water in the Caribbean, the lush green of the mountains in Tahiti, the aromas of the Napa Valley, the taste of John Dory reeled in 15 minutes earlier in New Zealand.

You might think you are getting 70%. The reality is that it's 20% at best. You just don't know better but think you do, which is rather sad.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
To be fair your mileage may vary, that poster might go stand in front of Westminster, hear those bells and say "meh I wish I'd stayed at that pub in Shoreditch for another pint" instead of getting all misty-eyed. People appreciate different things.

On topic = I'd go, be interesting to see. I certainly don't plan to restrict my travels for fear of perceived support for a country's government.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
To be fair your mileage may vary, that poster might go stand in front of Westminster, hear those bells and say "meh I wish I'd stayed at that pub in Shoreditch for another pint" instead of getting all misty-eyed. People appreciate different things.
True, however you helped me make my point--at least they went someplace to try something new (like the pub at Shoreditch) instead of staying home and assuming that they can actually experience something from their computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel