Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Cancun police find 12 decomposing inside caverns - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100619/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_mexico - broken link)

According to several reports the violence around there has been rising lately, just something to keep in mind and monitor.

I did go to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen in March and everything seemed normal, but the situation changes fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I have a good friend that sometimes spends 3-4 months there a year for the past 15 years. He says there are some key areas to avoid like the border, but that definitely it is starting to get a lot worse over the whole country.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
We just got back from Puerto Vallarta, which is not a massive tourist trap like Cancun and all the resorts are amid locals, and we had no issues. We're planning another trip to another part of Mexico in the near future. I love travel warnings, since that's how we got this awesome deal. Our resort was practically deserted, which was nice for us.

Cancun was built with tourists in mind. They have armed guards all over the place. Puerto Vallarta is basically hotels in a very local, residential area. We ventured out into places most tourists wouldn't and lived to tell about it. If you have a trip planned to Cancun, I wouldn't sweat it. The warnings have been around for quite some time. We live near the border, which is much more dangerous than a trip to Cancun. The violence is mostly concentrated near border cities, not resort towns like Cancun.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,171 times
Yeah Cancun seems to be protected fairly well but its only a matter of time before some sort of drug and cartel/gang violence erupt there...armed guards or not.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I thought some tourists got caught in a crossfire in PV. I'm nervous about traveling to Mexico.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We just got back from Puerto Vallarta, which is not a massive tourist trap like Cancun and all the resorts are amid locals, and we had no issues. We're planning another trip to another part of Mexico in the near future. I love travel warnings, since that's how we got this awesome deal. Our resort was practically deserted, which was nice for us.

Cancun was built with tourists in mind. They have armed guards all over the place. Puerto Vallarta is basically hotels in a very local, residential area. We ventured out into places most tourists wouldn't and lived to tell about it. If you have a trip planned to Cancun, I wouldn't sweat it. The warnings have been around for quite some time. We live near the border, which is much more dangerous than a trip to Cancun. The violence is mostly concentrated near border cities, not resort towns like Cancun.

--We ventured out into places most tourists wouldn't and lived to tell about it---

and if things would have gone wrong, your relatives can always go on tv and cry for the US govt to rescue you at taxpayers' expense.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--We ventured out into places most tourists wouldn't and lived to tell about it---

and if things would have gone wrong, your relatives can always go on tv and cry for the US govt to rescue you at taxpayers' expense.
I highly doubt it for two reasons. One, most of them had no idea we even went away for the weekend (our families live 2,000+ miles away), and we both have dual citizenship and firmly believe our respective countries have way more pull in these situations than the US. Look at Natalee Holloway, being a US citizen got her family nowhere.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
I would say that traveling to Cancun is about as dangerous as traveling to NYC or Detroit or any big US City. Its just that its a foreign country that scares people. Cancun isnt dangerous, its a tourist mecca.

G Man

Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I thought some tourists got caught in a crossfire in PV. I'm nervous about traveling to Mexico.
Yes, they did. They were shot. My husband's cousin went to Mexico for their honeymoon. They were at the beach snorkeling and when they came out of the water, everyone was gone, exept for men with guns standing their. The froze, and didn't know what to do. The men pointed to guns at them and told them to leave. They spent the rest of their time trying to get an early flight back home.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
I'm not going back to Cancun for awhile. I have visited The Mayan Riviera twice in the last few years, and both times I was pulled over by police and extorted within 15 minutes of leaving the Cancun airport. They would trump up a bogus charge, intimidate us a bit and take my license, telling me I could pay the fine in court. That's my cue to offer to "pay the fine now", giving him $20-$40 to get my license back. It's considered a "gringo tax" by some who shrug it off. It really bums me out and makes me feel victimized and unwelcome, so I'm going to explore friendlier pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel