U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM

9,918 posts, read 20,643,986 times

Advertisements

Well, if it's okay for the car with trailer to break the parking rule, why don't you just pull your semi into the car area?

It doesn't really matter what's in that space. If the car with trailer wasn't in there, there could be another truck there instead and the place would be just as full when you arrived. You're just having that emotional "Man if that stupid car wasn't in that spot I could park there!"

Whining about the cars with trailers here or anywhere else won't change anything. If you want them not to park on the truck side, you're going to have to get the states to change the parking rules and sign the places accordingly. It can't be a vague "Hey look, at night when there are *probably* not that many cars in the 'Cars Only' parking lot, you really should park your car with trailer over there." In many of these stops you can't tell how full they are before reaching the parking area, so it can't be judged solely by how many cars are in the car parking lot. It will never get across to enough people unless it's a hard and fast rule. And it's not because people are stupid. It's because it's what the damn signs tell them to do. Yeah, probably if I park a car with trailer on the car side and a cop comes, he'd give me a warning and tell me to leave. But if he's giving me a ticket for some stupid reason, and I say "Hey I did it because I'm leaving a space for a truck", that's not going to be a defense now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM

136 posts, read 106,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, if it's okay for the car with trailer to break the parking rule, why don't you just pull your semi into the car area?

It doesn't really matter what's in that space. If the car with trailer wasn't in there, there could be another truck there instead and the place would be just as full when you arrived. You're just having that emotional "Man if that stupid car wasn't in that spot I could park there!"
Moderator cut: personal comments not permitted

I'm not the only truck driver on the road. I don't want the cars to leave ME a spot, I want the cars to leave other truck drivers a spot. For every spot that a 4 wheeler takes in a truck parking lot, that is one more truck driver that has to go down the road and look for another spot.

I am talking about being courteous to truck drivers....What was I thinking? We get no respect or consideration on the road as it is, why should I expect this issue to be any different? We are on the road for a living. We HAVE to find a place to park after a certain amount of time by law. You don't. I am able to plan well and can always get a spot in time, but it is much harder than you might think, with the amount of regulations placed on us, not to mention unforeseen circumstances.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,940,651 times
Most professional OTR truckers I know use Truck Stops instead of roadside rest areas. As a professsional, they feel that truck stops are part of their professional business model of trucking and using and counting on roadside rest areas is for emergencies. However, as professionals, they recognize that the rest areas along highways are for all users and that the state agency responsible calls the shots as to who parks where, If they don't set aside or restrict the lenghty spots for just OTR truckers, its a first come firdst serve and OTR truckers have no more rights to a spot than Joe and his trailer.

I think the people you should be addressing this to is the agency that runs the truck stops, not the users who are using it as directed.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,769,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post

I'm not the only truck driver on the road. I don't want the cars to leave ME a spot, I want the cars to leave other truck drivers a spot. For every spot that a 4 wheeler takes in a truck parking lot, that is one more truck driver that has to go down the road and look for another spot.

I am talking about being courteous to truck drivers....What was I thinking? We get no respect or consideration on the road as it is, why should I expect this issue to be any different? We are on the road for a living. We HAVE to find a place to park after a certain amount of time by law. You don't. I am able to plan well and can always get a spot in time, but it is much harder than you might think, with the amount of regulations placed on us, not to mention unforeseen circumstances.
Not all truck drivers are courteous. In fact one tried to kill me last week while I was driving my Roadster in the right lane (of four) doing the speed limit. A trucker came flying up behind me not five feet off my bumper. Did he really think I was going to speed up for him when I was in the appropriate lane doing 70? If he wanted to get on someone's bumper, he should have been on the bumper of one of the semi's in the other three lanes. He was being a bully. The cars pulling trailers have every right to use those spots and in some cases are obliged to. Don't like it? Write your congressman.

I have to get places to make a living, and yet I'm often delayed by trucks going through the mountain two abreast going 15 mph under the speed limit and not allowing anyone to pass them. Maybe we should take about how rude and illogical that is.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM

9,918 posts, read 20,643,986 times
Quote:

Did you read the rest of my post? Moderator cut: no personal comments permitted

You're hardly being courteous to the "4 wheelers" as you derisively refer to them. So why are you deserving of any courtesy in return?

I know you have to park after a certain number of hours, and that these places don't have enough space. But that's not really the point of what you were proposing.

Here, let me repeat:

Whining about the cars with trailers here or anywhere else won't change anything. If you want them not to park on the truck side, you're going to have to get the states to change the parking rules and sign the places accordingly. It can't be a vague "Hey look, at night when there are *probably* not that many cars in the 'Cars Only' parking lot, you really should park your car with trailer over there." In many of these stops you can't tell how full they are before reaching the parking area, so it can't be judged solely by how many cars are in the car parking lot. It will never get across to enough people unless it's a hard and fast rule. And it's not because people are stupid. It's because it's what the damn signs tell them to do. Yeah, probably if I park a car with trailer on the car side and a cop comes, he'd give me a warning and tell me to leave. But if he's giving me a ticket for some stupid reason, and I say "Hey I did it because I'm leaving a space for a truck", that's not going to be a defense now is it?

Moderator cut: orphaned

FWIW, you won't ever find me taking up any of your precious spaces with a trailer or RV. Don't have any plans to. And I don't doubt there are many hardships of driving a rig professionally. I generally don't mind driving, but I don't think I could take up that kind of gig. I have respect for that. . So it's not personal. I'm just trying to figure out how you expect a great swath of American public to disobey the posted signage of the rest stops without explicitly changing those rules.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,940,651 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

The professional OTR truckers I know use truck stops because they are known entities with known services. Its not a crap shoot to them to plan on using truck Stop A or B or C along the way. Those are service areas for them. If this is your business, planning rest periods with rest services is key. To base you business on free roadside rest areas is to ignore the fact that they may or may not be open and there may or may not be a spot. Just because you feel you are entitled to a spot over some "RV" or "POV with trailer", reality is you are just another vehicle on the road and its first come first served. Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-21-2012 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post/comments referred to have been removed

Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,381,297 times
Most of the public rest stops I've seen direct cars / trucks with trailers, and RVs into the truck area, because they are longer than a standard parking space... I understand the complaint, as truckers are required to stop after a certain number of hours, but "4 wheelers" pulling trailers are human, and have to stop, too.

Granted, I've always stopped in shopping centers (Walmart, for example, likes having RVs in their lots -- it's free security).

If you're going to complain about cars / trucks with trailers in RV spots, at least accept the fact that truckers do a LOT of annoying things on the roads. I've been tailgated by truckers, at faster-than-reasonable speeds, all the time. And when the highway gets twisty, they just HAVE to pass the truck in front of them on the next uphill stretch! I realize most trucks have very low speed limiters (68-70 mph in some cases), but can you not radio the truck you're trying to pass, and ask him to slow down for just a minute so you can pass him quicker?

I show truckers as much respect as possible on the roads, but for the love of Jebus, get off my bumper.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,174,652 times

MOD NOTE:

OK.. Lets calm down. attacking someone who disagrees w/you goes against the spirit of this forum. We are here to help each other!

Per City-Data's
Terms of Service (ToS) you agreed to when you registered to become a City-Data member:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.
Quote:
Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.
Quote:
Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Back to Topic!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 AM

136 posts, read 106,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post

If you're going to complain about cars / trucks with trailers in RV spots, at least accept the fact that truckers do a LOT of annoying things on the roads. I've been tailgated by truckers, at faster-than-reasonable speeds, all the time. And when the highway gets twisty, they just HAVE to pass the truck in front of them on the next uphill stretch! I realize most trucks have very low speed limiters (68-70 mph in some cases), but can you not radio the truck you're trying to pass, and ask him to slow down for just a minute so you can pass him quicker?

I show truckers as much respect as possible on the roads, but for the love of Jebus, get off my bumper.
This is a huge problem among truckers now! I'm glad you brought this up. In a perfect world, every driver would have a cb radio and have it tuned in to channel 19, but they don't. Many are just clueless.

We call these "the worlds slowest drag races" and they are extremely annoying. When another big truck goes to pass me, I always slow down for a minute, unless he is gonna blow my doors off....It is safer and more convenient for everybody. But many drivers do not understand this concept, or just don't care.

Now, I don't know why 4 wheelers insist on passing at .5 mph faster than I am going, so that it takes forever to get by me. There is no reason to be riding next to a big truck when you don't have to. And say I'm governed at 70mph, 4 wheelers will pass me, and then run about 68 mph!

I could probably type all night about the idiots on the road, both truck drivers and 4 wheelers alike...But I won't.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,381,297 times
Quote:
...We call these "the worlds slowest drag races" and they are extremely annoying....Now, I don't know why 4 wheelers insist on passing at .5 mph faster than I am going, so that it takes forever to get by me. There is no reason to be riding next to a big truck when you don't have to...
I like the slang phrase the Germans use -- Elefantrennen. It literally translates to "Elephant Race", and describes these overtakes almost perfectly.

When I go to overtake, I get it done with quickly. I drive a small car, and it's very easy for me to hide in a truck's blind spot. I usually pull into the passing lane a good distance behind the truck, downshift, and accelerate. Once past the truck, I give them about 50-100 feet before pulling back into the right lane. I wish more people would give trucks more room. For some reason, they don't understand the concept that trucks are HEAVY. It takes a lot of power, and a lot of distance, to bring them to a stop. If you merge your minivan 20 feet in front of a truck, of course they're going to get mad at you. If you, for some reason, had to come to an emergency stop, there is NO WAY the truck can brake as fast as you can. You WILL get rear ended. 20-30,000 lbs through your back window isn't my idea of a good time.

On another note, one thing I've seen truckers do that irks me is drive in the far left, on a multi-lane (>2 lanes) highway. In a perfect world, all stretches of interstate would be 3 lanes per side, instead of two, and trucks would be restricted to the two right lanes, leaving the far left lane open for cars to pass. There's large stretches of highway in Kentucky that are like this, and while there's no law in place limiting trucks to the right two lanes, trucks generally leave the far left lane open. This doesn't seem to be the case in Phoenix. Here, truckers use whatever lane they please. They even drive in the HOV lane (which CLEARLY states no commercial vehicles). Please, truckers, be reasonable when choosing a lane. Your truck is limited to 70 mph, and the average speeds on these highways is 80-90 mph. You become an obstacle when you're that far left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel