U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 AM

136 posts, read 105,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I like the slang phrase the Germans use -- Elefantrennen. It literally translates to "Elephant Race", and describes these overtakes almost perfectly.

When I go to overtake, I get it done with quickly. I drive a small car, and it's very easy for me to hide in a truck's blind spot. I usually pull into the passing lane a good distance behind the truck, downshift, and accelerate. Once past the truck, I give them about 50-100 feet before pulling back into the right lane. I wish more people would give trucks more room. For some reason, they don't understand the concept that trucks are HEAVY. It takes a lot of power, and a lot of distance, to bring them to a stop. If you merge your minivan 20 feet in front of a truck, of course they're going to get mad at you. If you, for some reason, had to come to an emergency stop, there is NO WAY the truck can brake as fast as you can. You WILL get rear ended. 20-30,000 lbs through your back window isn't my idea of a good time.

On another note, one thing I've seen truckers do that irks me is drive in the far left, on a multi-lane (>2 lanes) highway. In a perfect world, all stretches of interstate would be 3 lanes per side, instead of two, and trucks would be restricted to the two right lanes, leaving the far left lane open for cars to pass. There's large stretches of highway in Kentucky that are like this, and while there's no law in place limiting trucks to the right two lanes, trucks generally leave the far left lane open. This doesn't seem to be the case in Phoenix. Here, truckers use whatever lane they please. They even drive in the HOV lane (which CLEARLY states no commercial vehicles). Please, truckers, be reasonable when choosing a lane. Your truck is limited to 70 mph, and the average speeds on these highways is 80-90 mph. You become an obstacle when you're that far left.
Car, truck, motorcycle, minivan....NOBODY should be driving in the far left lane unless they are passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,367,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Car, truck, motorcycle, minivan....NOBODY should be driving in the far left lane unless they are passing.
Agreed. It's state law in some places, and I always adhere to it. Left lane is for passing only. Trucks and cars alike, if you're camped in the left lane, with your cruise set to the speed limit, I am going to come up behind you, high beams flashing, until you move over. Passing on the right is dangerous, and stupid.

Motorcycles are another thing. Believe it or not, many cars can stop faster than bikes. Unless you want a biker flying into your car, you (referring to any driver, in general here) need to give them more room. Even though motorcycles are light (about 10% the weight of your average vehicle), and have large brakes (usually 12" discs up front, about what a sport-tuned car has), it takes longer to stop because it's easier to lock the brakes. In a modern car, you can hold the brake pedal to the floor, and stop quickly. ABS kicks in, and your car comes to a controlled stop. In a bike, if you were to lay on the brakes, the brakes would lock up, the bike would slide, and the rider would be in hospital for road rash (or worse). While some newer bikes have ABS, it's just not as good as ABS in a car, and they are still at risk for locking the brakes.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Agreed. It's state law in some places, and I always adhere to it. Left lane is for passing only. Trucks and cars alike, if you're camped in the left lane, with your cruise set to the speed limit, I am going to come up behind you, high beams flashing, until you move over. Passing on the right is dangerous, and stupid.
It's illegal to flash hi beams in some states. If after a half mile or so the person in the left lane doesn't move into the empty center or right lane, I'll pass on the right. Sometimes there's no option, because some people are oblivious.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Tell taht to the Moderator cut: see comment truckers who take all three lanes at the red light facing up hill near my house. It takes three light cycles to get through sometimes, because they are so damn inconsiderate and can only get one truck through at a time. This morning one of them was at a dead stop in the center lane through two cycles. I finally went around, because they were obviously distracted or something. If they were disabled, they would have had their flashers on--or at least you would think.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: no name-calling period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel