Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times

Advertisements

I attended a lecture on travel by someone who mentioned he goes on trips of up to six weeks with just a carry on. Wardrobe consists of two pairs pants, shirts and underpants plus outerwear. Some folks insist on several suitcases even for a few days. Anyone else? Has this been discussed before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,963,956 times
Lots of folks LOVE to "pack light"....I have no desire to do that! My mother can...she's good at it, but I don't like being relegated to wearing the same things over and over...I like fresh clothes! And, I don't want to be handwashing in the bathroom sink!
I will bring the absolute maximum allowed (if there is a limit imposed!)...I've got no problem with bringing bunches of stuff!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 AM

943 posts, read 1,839,663 times
I get the impression this was a MAN who gave this lecture??? Its easier for a man vs a women to pack light.

I noticed to that you did not mention him/her packing shoes/ sneakers or other footwear.

One suggestion I have is to buy your toiletries when you get to your destination or repack them in smaller containers.

Being a women I need one large suitcase and a weekend bag.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,810,083 times
I've been overseas three times (trips lasting from 7-10 days), and have never taken more than a carry-on bag. I'd rather do laundry on the road than be burdened with having to carry multiple suitcases.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,958,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Its easier for a man vs a women to pack light.

Being a women I need one large suitcase and a weekend bag.

I am a woman and I always travel with a carry on backpack. No wheels, either.

I take a couple pairs of pants, maybe a dress, a couple pairs of shoes, shirts etc, toiletries, and various underthings. I have to be methodical, but I've been doing it for years and it is very liberating. Sometimes I wash things out in the sink, if the trip is 3 weeks I might pay to get laundry done, which is part of my vacation treat.

I like nice, decent-quality clothes, but don't need a zillion outfits. Nobody really cares if I'm wearing the same beige shirt again that I wore last week.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 AM

327 posts, read 643,633 times
I travel for about 3 weeks at a time with just a carry on backpack. This backpack also holds my 15inch laptop plus charger. I never bring toiletries, I just buy something when I arrive to where I am going.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM

2,923 posts, read 5,597,251 times
i just use a backpack like this:

trip length isn't particularly important, i have went for 6 months living out of a backpack that size.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,676,732 times
I can do up to two weeks with a carry on and my laptop bag, for work or vacation.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I attended a lecture on travel by someone who mentioned he goes on trips of up to six weeks with just a carry on. Wardrobe consists of two pairs pants, shirts and underpants plus outerwear. Some folks insist on several suitcases even for a few days. Anyone else? Has this been discussed before?
Just a carry on is best especially since they make you pay for checked in bags on many planes. Why pay $25 for a bunch of clothes you may not end up wearing and also when you see how they handle the luggage, you get so you prefer to just travel light and hold onto your stuff.

I think the more experience one has in traveling the lighter they go because packing and unpacking gets to be a drag and you learn after a while that you really don't need to lug around a bunch of suitcases. They become a burden, a big hassle.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,267,652 times
Well, it's hard for me because I don't want to wear the same thing for days, plus I like to have something in case the weather turns. And having problem feet, I cannot take only the ones on my feet.

I also have lots of back problems, so I pack all kind of treatment crap (a lacross ball, smaller hot-ice pack, and a "knobber" that takes next to no room). And I'm one of those girly-girls who cannot leave all makeup and other personal care at home.

I've managed to pack all into one of those pull-along carry-ons but that's only for departure. I tend to buy stuff on trips, so I always stuff an extra soft case into my carry-on for the return trip.

Those of you who are healthy enough to do with less are lucky. But, then, I agree with the one poster who isn't concerned about narrowing down to just one small bag. I've never been, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel