U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Thailand 24 55.81%
Vietnam 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
You're absolutely right, hARRIER : I visited 3 Communist countries : former Yougoslavia , former GDR and Algeria- yuck! only Yougoslavia was somehow ok, but the least Communist of the 3.
I sweared NEVER to go to a Commie country again, whatever good publicity it receives from travellers and medias...
Went to Vietnam and China had no problem there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Vietnam has many beautiful places and delicious foods.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM

905 posts, read 3,067,735 times
I voted Vietnam because I have been to Thailand twice. I love Thailand, but look forward to visiting Vietnam one day!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,252,854 times
Having been to both several times I'd go with Thailand. I love thai food and the thai people are really lovely. I have friends who live in Phuket and Bangkok too. There is great golf in Thailand too.
If you stay away from the main touristy areas you ill find some beautiful beaches and countryside.

Whenever we have been I am glad many tourists have the worry about being scammed / robbed that is perpetuated by people who have never been to Thailand. It means they stay in Patong (or similar), eat at the chain restaurants/Mc Donalds that they are familiar with and don't ruin the rest of the places

Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Having been to both several times I'd go with Thailand. I love thai food and the thai people are really lovely. I have friends who live in Phuket and Bangkok too. There is great golf in Thailand too.
If you stay away from the main touristy areas you ill find some beautiful beaches and countryside.

Whenever we have been I am glad many tourists have the worry about being scammed / robbed that is perpetuated by people who have never been to Thailand. It means they stay in Patong (or similar), eat at the chain restaurants/Mc Donalds that they are familiar with and don't ruin the rest of the places
I found both the scamming and especially the touts worse in Vietnam. Maybe it's harder to hide among the hoards of tourists. Vietnam is still an emerging tourist market but it's growing rapidly.

Worst part was the beach at Nha Trang. So polluted, and there was a sad looking aquarium with fish swimming in bare concrete tanks.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 863 times
Smile Pros/Cons of Vietnam and Thai Lan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Where would you rather vacation and why?

I've been to both. I think I'd go back to Vietnam, fewer tourists, cheaper, nicer scenery IMO.
I have lived in Vietnam, and visited Thailand 4 or 5 times. I am going to admit I am bias, but I would recommend Vietnam.

I also did a break down of pros/cons below.

Pros/Cons of Vietnam:

Pros:
Cheap. Super super cheap. I used to buy beers for 50 cents.
Amazing food - Banh Mi (1.00 on the street) is the best sandwich you will ever have. Pho soup is savory, delicious, and a great hangover cure.
Fun night life with a city that literally never sleeps. Always a nearby sandwich shop or place to play some pool.
Beautiful country (Nature, streets, countryside)

Cons:
Actual cons some of the locals will run on you - like 2 X or more on the price of some items. If you learn how to stand your ground on a price and say no this can be avoided
The word for Too expensive in Vietnamese is mắc qua pronounced Mack Qwah.
Petty theft - I actually got my phone stolen WHILE I WAS TALKING ON IT!(Motorcycle Bandit). This can be avoided if you don’t take your phone out near the street.
Not as used to tourism as Thailand, thus not as accessible. This can be a benefit from time to time as you might get a special treatment as your presence can be a rarity.

Pros/Cons of Thailand:

Pros:
Also amazing food. Papaya salad and pad thai to name a couple.
Also a beautiful country.
Easy visa scenario. You don’t need a visa - just a passport (if you are from usa)
Beautiful temples.

Cons:
So used to tourists that at times the niceness of locals, even when they are authentically being nice, can be interpreted as fake.
Slightly more “touristy” than Vietnam. Especially in Bangkok and Phuket. This can be good depending on what type of traveler you are. For me it was a bit of a turn off from time to time.
More expensive than Vietnam. Overall it is still very cheap!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,396,193 times
Thai food is much better than Vietnamese food. Vietnamese is nice but not nearly as diverse as in Thailand, and also very similar to the food in southern China

Old 09-18-2017, 04:00 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
I picked Vietnam but really I want to go to both. Thanks geyuseke for the comparisons. There are so many places in that region for us to visit. Now that I am in my travel life things will begin to be very busy.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
We have been to Thailand already, so I voted Vietnam. However, I'd go back to Thailand in a second. One of favorite counties.

ETA: just realized that this is a thread from 2012. Oh well - it's still a fun topic.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
From what I've heard from other travelers and temporary residents in the region:

You'll always encounter rip-off artists and people working scams, but that such behavior is basically woven into the cultural fabric in Vietnam and it's hard to trust anyone; so if you want a Vietnam-like experience without having to evaluate the motives behind everyone's every move, go to Cambodia instead.

Or so I've been told.
Thailand is worse with scams than Vietnam, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or