U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,173 times

Advertisements

Two:

1. late '90's in Paris around the touristy Bastille area and went out for dinner. We had one of our small dogs with us (as was often the case back then) and all well-behaved dogs are welcome in the restaurants. Seating was quite snug, as is usual. Seated next to us was a German family of tourists. The patriarch spoke very good English and asked if he could give our pet the rest of steak; he cut it up for her and placed it in front of her, she was happy! As we're chatting, (we're from the U.S.) the topic of euthanasia for pets that are not adopted from kill shelters comes up. The elderly German gentleman thought this was incredible and so morally offensive and claims, "We don't do that in Germany" - irony.

2. My Mom and brother visit Paris in 1994, her first trip abroad and she makes no effort to learn any French phrases but they were able to get around on the subway system quite handily. Sadly, she is was not very learned about public transportation and decided to use the restroom in the subway - surprise! - he is held up by 2 teenage girls but she stands her ground, yells for help and runs. The day she got her pictures developed, we were all very excited. My brother had taken her picture on the subway and in the background are the 2 girls that had tried to mug her! Funny now, but she certainly learned a very valuable travel lesson, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

544 posts, read 886,707 times
My first trip abroad to France in 1997 - were were held up at De Gaulle's customs for what seemed like forever. Then, we heard a big bang and after a bit the line started moving.

When we got through customs, there was underwear all over the place. Someone had left a suspicious suitcase and the gendarmes blew it up! It was quite an introduction to a life spent traveling.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM

10,657 posts, read 9,038,488 times
Well, my experiences are tame in comparison. The most memorable one actually happened when I was a kid. Our family often joked that the makers of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies followed our family around to model the Griswolds after our family.

My father planned a grand trip from our home in Southern Georgia to visit all of the East Coast historic spots. This included DC, Philly, Gettysburg, etc. Since my sister and I suffered from 'she-touched-me-itis', my Dad decided to rent one of those big conversion vans. You know the ones - with the little 'skylights' that are kind of raised up, a sofa that turns into the bed in the back, etc. Real 70s mobile.

My mom went to pick it up and the guy at the rental office told her "Lady, please be careful with it. It's brand new, it only has 50 miles on it." She responded 'of course' and proceeded on.

We visited the various sites/cities and finally got to Philly. Parking was quickly a problem. Finally found a parking garage. It was one of those where you go up about 8 floors in a spiral and then park starting at the top and going down. Up and up we went. As we got to the top, the ceiling beams looked pretty low. My mother, with a bit of worry in her voice says, "that looks pretty low."

My father, in true Griswold fashion, says "nah, it's fine," and gunned it. I don't think I'll ever forget that sound. It was the sound of quite sturdy and large concrete beams ripping open the roof. All of a sudden, people appeared out of nowhere! We all just sat there with our mouths agape, quite as church mice. As you can imagine this caused quite the stir in the parking garage. We ended up having to back down those 8 slights of spirals. We get to the bottom, the parking garage attendants direct us to the oversized vehicles section, and park. Right before my dad gets out to talk to the parking garage management, my mother looks over at my father and says, "you're bringing it back to the rental office."

At this point, we all just busted out laughing - except my dad of course. The rest of the trip was spent in blue tarp glory - quite interesting at 55 mph on the highway! We never rented a van again.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM

701 posts, read 1,271,053 times
When I was 14, I went on a student trip to Monaco and while we were walking around, I tried to cross the street. Unfortunately, I just looked both ways and not on the ground, which proved to be my undoing because there were swinging chains along the sidewalk.

I promptly tripped and toppled into the street, broke my grandmother's watch, and when I opened my eyes I ended up staring right at the front tire of a vespa. I popped back up, completely unharmed, and completed my walk across the street even though my group leader damn near had a heart attack from watching me and about half of my 30+ group members were freaking out. Apparently there was also screaming. I didn't hear a thing!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM

213 posts, read 724,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Two:

1. late '90's in Paris around the touristy Bastille area and went out for dinner. We had one of our small dogs with us (as was often the case back then) and all well-behaved dogs are welcome in the restaurants. Seating was quite snug, as is usual. Seated next to us was a German family of tourists. The patriarch spoke very good English and asked if he could give our pet the rest of steak; he cut it up for her and placed it in front of her, she was happy! As we're chatting, (we're from the U.S.) the topic of euthanasia for pets that are not adopted from kill shelters comes up. The elderly German gentleman thought this was incredible and so morally offensive and claims, "We don't do that in Germany" - irony.
It is interesting that you mention it. German people are famed for being dog-lovers. Even during the height of Holocaust, the German citizens took care of their pets, especially the dogs, even if they happened to be the pets of those who subsequently perished in the holocaust.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
In Las Vegas I drank too much and threw up in the limo our tour group hired. I had to pay for the cleaning costs . What's MORE...I left my camera in a cab. Had no idea what cab company it was so I phoned 'em all. As luck would have it first one was a charm! Only problem is I was at the Grand Canyon by that time. It was only after returning from the States that I got it back. It seemed someone - maybe the taxi driver or someone else - had left a little 'present.' He took a photo of himself in his underwear wearing sunglasses! Funny, weird and creepy at the same time.

I also took the wrong bus (after a full day walking down the Strip in 105F heat) and ended up in some ghetto. Already related this story about 3 times now, but I basically got conned out of $20. Sitting at bus stop. Guy wants to sell me phone, I refuse about 3 times then cave in (still suspicious, but I was in an unfamiliar, dumpy part of town and he looked 'gangster'). He says he has to make a call and runs away with my $20 and 'my' phone. It was probably stolen anyway. I'm just glad to get out of there.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. On a cruise about twenty years ago in the Southern Caribbean, we took a Delta flight home. We were supposed to go to Atlanta, but ended up making an emergency landing in Miami. It was quite a sight to see sparks coming out of the engine that failed and watch the fire trucks all around us on the ground as we landed.

2. My son got sick during a trip we took to Eastern Canada in 2004. I ended up hospitalizing him in New Brunswick. Had a firsthand experience with the Canadian healthcare system that I found to be quite positive.

3. I found a large alligator golfing on a golf course in Cancun, Mexico that scared the bejeezus out of me.
Oh I ended up in hospital 3 times in the US, and was in a psych ward for 2 weeks in Boston. It's a LOOOONG story, though. Needless to say it was a unique, if unplanned, travel experience.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM

5,326 posts, read 11,045,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh I ended up in hospital 3 times in the US, and was in a psych ward for 2 weeks in Boston. It's a LOOOONG story, though. Needless to say it was a unique, if unplanned, travel experience.
3 times in a hospital ?
2 weeks in a Psych ward ?

I do not care how long of a story ... , we need to read about that !!!
How about weekly installments !?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
... 3. I found a large alligator golfing on a golf course in Cancun, Mexico that scared the bejeezus out of me.
Amazing, what those alligators can do. But if he was busy golfing, he probably wasn't interested in you. Now if he'd been stalking ...

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
3 times in a hospital ?
2 weeks in a Psych ward ?

I do not care how long of a story ... , we need to read about that !!!
How about weekly installments !?
I've said too much .

It probably belongs more in the health/psychology forum, but if you're really interested I will get around to it soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or