U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,694 posts, read 40,062,283 times

Advertisements

US Domestic = SWA, it makes 'Cattle-car' as fun (and fast) as possible. While I really like the free bags (coolers of Fresh Salmon for me). ... I greatly appreciate the SPEEDY seating and not waiting for everyone to jam their junk in every little place WHILE looking for a specific seat. SWA hit that correctly. Get'em in, get'em seated, get going!!!

International = Singapore and Thai.
Gosh do they ever take care of you.... I have been known to ask if I could just continue on wherever they are going next...but their lounges are superb if you MUST get off the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 AM

38,131 posts, read 55,931,837 times
Southwest for domestic
Air France for international
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,095,397 times
Jetblue for domestic. I mostly fly it from NYC-West Palm Beach to visit family. The service is unpretentious, lacks tawdry gimmicks, and is eminently bearable for a 3 hour flight. On the particular route I fly, I mostly am with "regulars"/snowbirds who winter in Florida or the family who visits them. My only criticism is that the JFK terminal is filled with "kettles" who make for a sometimes hilarious, more often annoying amateur hour.

BA/Qantas for international. They're not the best objectively, but they go where I need them to go and their business class is the best value dollar for dollar. BA's "Club World" business class is a silver standard for what trans-atlantic service should be. Qantas flies the A380 and offers some of the finest champagne one can get in any business class. Their wine selection (all Australian) consistently wins industry awards.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,920,196 times
Continental now United for domestic
British Airways for International

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 28,866 times
Domestic I'd have to say United. It's the least terrible out of the US airlines.
International it's a tie between El Al (Israeli airline) and Virgin Atlantic.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:23 AM

384 posts, read 878,452 times
None are fun any more! Years ago I would have said Alaska - but they have succumbed to the times and are on par with the other US airlines.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,048,484 times
Domestic: American. I've never had a bad experience with them, and for some reason their seats seem to be a bit more comfortable.

International: It's close between Asiana and Thai, but I think the latter just barely beats the former. I've taken both on long flights and couldn't stay awake on either because the seats were so comfortable. But the open bar thing Thai had going for it was a plus. I took them from Seoul to Bangkok and back and the flight attendant continuously walked the drink cart up and down the aisle and made cocktails for people.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM

492 posts, read 1,242,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
All domestic carriers suck in the US. The legacy carriers are terrible, Southwest is like flying on amateur hour (infrequent flyers who don't know basic plane etiquette).
Been flying over 40 years, What is basic plane etiquette?
Thanks

Last edited by lcole07; 05-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM

6,088 posts, read 8,387,197 times
If I had to choose I'd say Southwest. At least I get free checked bags. They also have the cheapest pet fee I could find. And by cheap I mean 75 dollars each way.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,196,269 times
All US carriers suck compared to their international counterparts. If I had to choose, it would be Delta because I fly them the most.

International: Emirates, by a long shot. Best experience I've ever had on an aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or