U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,117,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
Been flying over 40 years, What is basic plane etiquette?
Thanks
A lot of times people from the back of the plane will push forward while people in front haven't stood up yet or are in the process of collecting their carry-ons. Many times on Southwest, people either A. Are oblivious because they don't fly often or at all (hence the "Amateur Hour" moniker) or B. Are rude and don't care that etiquette dictates that people in the front of the plane step off the plane first and we all fall in line behind them.

Either way it is frustrating and rude. Just one of many reasons I hate Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM

38,908 posts, read 20,229,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
If I had to choose I'd say Southwest. At least I get free checked bags. They also have the cheapest pet fee I could find. And by cheap I mean 75 dollars each way.
According to my cousin, they are not only the cheapest that she found for her dog, they also allowed the pet to ride next to her in a kennel. I believe she mentioned that American would have required the dog to be in the luggage area, which isn't the safest way of transporting a pet and they were more costly than SW.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
A lot of times people from the back of the plane will push forward while people in front haven't stood up yet or are in the process of collecting their carry-ons. Many times on Southwest, people either A. Are oblivious because they don't fly often or at all (hence the "Amateur Hour" moniker) or B. Are rude and don't care that etiquette dictates that people in the front of the plane step off the plane first and we all fall in line behind them.

Either way it is frustrating and rude. Just one of many reasons I hate Southwest.
I believe that same phenomenon is present in other airlines besides Southwest ... I've flown many carriers and passengers act the same on all of them.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,117,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I believe that same phenomenon is present in other airlines besides Southwest ... I've flown many carriers and passengers act the same on all of them.
I have had the opposite experience. I fly (mainly domestic) for work 2-3x per month. I have never experienced this on any other airline, just Southwest. It drives me nuts.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,769,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
If I had to choose I'd say Southwest. At least I get free checked bags. They also have the cheapest pet fee I could find. And by cheap I mean 75 dollars each way.
A lot of sweeping generalizations, of course. Obviously varies by route and date and time of day. Southwest can be cheaper but in some cases isn't, even taking into account two (not unlimited) free bags up to 50 lbs. each. And one shouldn't expect $75 coast to coast or almost anywhere during peak times. And lack of interline agreements means that when you connect with another airline you have to transfer your bags, get a new boarding pass, etc. I do think Southwest is usually worth checking, but it is definitely not always the best option.

People complain about airline service but most buy based on price, even as fuel costs have risen. Air travel in the U.S. is less expensive than in many places. We spend time in Brazil, where one used to always get a meal evenon a short flight. Then it went to hot, foil-wrapped sandwiches. Now you may be lucky to get crackers and chps. And not beer on all flights. If you have a big budget and/or a company paying your way, your options are greater.

Bottom line for most people is that the best airline is the one that will get you from Point A to Point B for the lowest cost, with safety and, ideally, shortest amount of time.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,769,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
According to my cousin, they are not only the cheapest that she found for her dog, they also allowed the pet to ride next to her in a kennel. I believe she mentioned that American would have required the dog to be in the luggage area, which isn't the safest way of transporting a pet and they were more costly than SW.
Not really true. Most airlines will allow a limited number of smaller animals, in small carriers, to travel in the cabin. If a certain number are already booked for the cabin and/or the pet is over a certain size, it must be in the luggage hold (which is pressurized/heated/cooled, though you need to verify that in advance). You can guess that other passengers often complain about pets in the cabin, due to noise, allergies, etc. I'm guessing Southwest doesn't allow a dog of any size to ride "next" to a passenger, unless perhaps if it's a service animal, but must fit under the seat (a very small animal). Many airlines limit the times of year when pets can travel, due to a number of lawsuits resulting from mishaps. I took my two cats to overseas assignments as far away as Mozambique and Brazil. There were two, and with large enough carriers that they were always in the luggage hold. Never had a problem. I used Lufthansa, KLM, American, South African Airways and United.

And, again, Southwest is not always the chapest airline, even taking into account baggage fees. But worth checking (and you must check them specifically since they don't appear on Web sites such as Expedia, Kayak, etc.). BTW, Southwest may be great for pets on short trips, but for trans-continental trips I'd want mine to travel non-stop, and that's tough to do with Southwest.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Well ... I'll be flying on my first international airline in a few weeks - Air Canada ... It should be interesting ....

Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM

634 posts, read 1,504,960 times
I like Thai Airways and Singapre Airlines and Lufthansa. :-) Lufthansa : only airline going nonstop frankfurt to miami, always on time when i fly. Thai Airways and Singapore Air : i love the food they serve, very good business class, fantastic service!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,338,281 times
When I travel, I use Toronto's Porter airlines for any destination they travel to. For all other destinations, I use WestJet if possible. Neither of these airlines charge extra for checked baggage, and do their best to make flying a pleasure (especially Porter). Porter has the whole 1930's thing going on... The flight attendant's wear retro uniforms, they provide free snacks and alcoholic beverages and only fly turbo prop planes!

On the other hand, due to their constant labour disputes and altogether arrogant attitudes, I try to avoid Air Canada like a plague ship run aground.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:36 AM

21,393 posts, read 24,237,187 times
For short hops nationally: JetBlue
For the rest of the nation: Delta
Internationally: Delta, Emirates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or