U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,793,580 times

Advertisements

Domestic: Frontier (clean and new Airbuses with individual TVs, good on-time performance, cheap flights from my home airport (Denver), easy/"inexpensive" frequent flyer status + mileage redemption)
International: Virgin, British Airways, Emirates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM

231 posts, read 384,615 times
Domestic - none but I tolerate US Airways
International - (easy) Qatar and Thai.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM

6,553 posts, read 4,508,554 times
Inteternational: Lufthansa. Haven't flown British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay, Singapore, Emirates, etc all of which are probably better then Lufthansa, but of the 4 international flights i've flown (Lufthansa, Icelandair, Aer Lingus and British Midlands [UK based]) Lufthansa wins with Aer Lingus in second

Domestic: Jet Blue. Love the TV's at the seats which I flew them more. United is second. I know most people hate them (though I agree its gotten worse since the merger) but I've never had a terrible expierince. Also, Newark is a hub for them, and of the 3 NYC airports I'd prefer to fly out of Newark then LaGuardia or JFK even though its the furthest away from my house.

Canadian and my personal favorite airline: Porter airlines. They only fly Dash-8's and only fly from select cities, but its great. Whenever I go to Toronto I ALWAYS fly them. Flies you right into the Toronto island Airport meaning your a 450 foot ferry ride to the city. Where I stay in Toronto (the Rennaisannce) is only about a 15 minute walk from the ferry so I can save on cab money. Also, on that airline every beverage is free, even alchoholic drinks!

Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM

161 posts, read 745,910 times
US- Southwest or Allegiant

International- Turkish Airlines or British Airways

Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,059,578 times
All major US domestic carriers are the same; i choose whatever is the cheapest and most direct. For the discounters, Southwest i guess, i just hate their corny flight attendants.

Favorite international is Singapore airlines. Topnotch service and planes.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM

6,089 posts, read 8,389,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
A lot of sweeping generalizations, of course. Obviously varies by route and date and time of day. Southwest can be cheaper but in some cases isn't, even taking into account two (not unlimited) free bags up to 50 lbs. each. And one shouldn't expect $75 coast to coast or almost anywhere during peak times. And lack of interline agreements means that when you connect with another airline you have to transfer your bags, get a new boarding pass, etc. I do think Southwest is usually worth checking, but it is definitely not always the best option.

People complain about airline service but most buy based on price, even as fuel costs have risen. Air travel in the U.S. is less expensive than in many places. We spend time in Brazil, where one used to always get a meal evenon a short flight. Then it went to hot, foil-wrapped sandwiches. Now you may be lucky to get crackers and chps. And not beer on all flights. If you have a big budget and/or a company paying your way, your options are greater.

Bottom line for most people is that the best airline is the one that will get you from Point A to Point B for the lowest cost, with safety and, ideally, shortest amount of time.
Just to clarify - 75 dollars each way is the pet fare to bring my dog onto the airplane with me. I think United is 125 each way, Delta around the same.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,566,223 times
I haven't flown internationally from many years so can't really comment on them.

I'm not that high maintainence....I pay them to take me from point A to point B. If they get me there alive, I'm good to go.
I do drift towards Southwest and Airtran mainly because for where I fly the most they have the most reasonable fare.

Most of the problems that I've encountered while flying are not caused by TSA or the Airline but by "entitled" travelers.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,492,610 times
Until now, I have only flown on Lufthansa when flying to Europe. Earlier this month, I flew Lufthansa on the way and on the return I flew United. Wow. Not even comparable. United was horrible. And I fly business class. Way to represent the USA, United!

My spouse has flown Asiana several times to Europe, but prefers Lufthansa because he can get a direct flight from ATL.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,637,891 times
Domestic: Delta when they still had those old DC-9-30/50 Today I would pick Jetblue or Southwest.

International: BA, Etihad, Lufthansa, Porter Airlines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or