U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Read Mark Twain's "Tramps Abroad" sometime. It was exactly the same in his time. Nothing new.
Correction: make that "Innocents Abroad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 AM

12,302 posts, read 15,205,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Be a traveler not a tourist. No wonder you're getting hosed.
Couldn't agree more. Travelers are willing to put up with the inconvenience. Tourists want all the conveniences of home and want to be pampered as well. And they miss some of the lesser visited sites.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM

10,666 posts, read 9,047,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Travelers are willing to put up with the inconvenience. Tourists want all the conveniences of home and want to be pampered as well. And they miss some of the lesser visited sites.
I'm with you on this one too. When we travel, we always rent a flat or house. We shop at local markets and really get a better view of the place we're visiting because we actually become a part of the community, if even for a short visit, rather than remain isolated in some tourist central area. In addition, these trips end up gaining us more luxury for less money. I've stayed in some pretty swank homes and paid less than I would for a just so-so hotel.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Some very good points you've made there - that's what I strive to do when I go someplace where I don't get to stay with friends / relatives, rent a place that at least has a kitchen - that's an excellent way to control food costs. And grab the local rags as soon as you reach your destination - oftentimes you'll see great deals in there, like 2 for 1 specials, etc. Packing snacks is another great money-saving tool, as well as health protection (nothing's worse than getting heartburn on a plane after eating that greasy burger and fries...lol.)

Another thing to do is to use public transport when possible, especially in places like Washington, DC and NYC - amazing how much you can save using a Metro pass instead of driving, getting lost and paying murderous parking fees.

Any apt or beach house I've rented the owner always left the coupon card for the local supermarket....take out menus...and here is a great plus....most of these rental places have ensuite washer & dryer..no lugging home dirty clothes.

I don't mind cooking & throwing a load of laundry in every night on vacation & by renting we save $$$ and get to see the places we want to go....

Started this one year when every dam hotel we checked in a certain city had NO FREE PARKING...I'm paying $150.00- $200.00 a night annd have to pay to park my rental car...no thanks and the parking was like 10-15 per night...

Used public transportation in New Orleans, Savannah and Cancun never rented a car

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let's see, taxes are the locality, not the hotel. You always have the option of choosing hotels without resort fees. You can pack your own sandwich, you don't need to buy them at the airport. I don't know of any airports that don't charge to park, you can always get a ride or take a cab. As far as restaurant pricing, stay outside the tourist areas or venture outside of them to local places. And choose a cruise where alcohol is included or you can BYOB.

I skip the obvious tourist traps, research the hotels and cruises to make wise choices, and just accept that travel isn't free.
Oh Lord do tell what cruise line you found that lets you BYOB on board??

Last edited by njkate; 05-25-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,835,555 times
For accommodations, try airbnb.com.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We have cruised Seabourn a few times. Yes, they are expensive but when you take into account the size of the rooms (smallest is a junior suite), that alcohol is included, that the food is outstanding, that there is no tipping and the limited number of passengers, it actually works out to be decent value for money.

When we are on land, we make use of public transport where possible. We were in Sydney, Australia in February and bought one week public transport passes for $41 each. That covered ferries, trains and buses and we used them a lot. We went to the liquor store and bought wine to take back to the room. We went to the supermarket and bought bread, cheese, cookies and bottled water.

There are lots of things you can do to keep the costs down without ruining your vacation.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I learned that term in 1980 when I went to work at Crested butte.
I remember when nobody had *heard* of Crested Butte.

(BTW, they use "touron" here in northeast Florida, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It's simple, I avoid the tourist traps.
That about covers it for me. We don't do cruises, though I would not rule out ever doing one.

There are going to be some places where people gather that we do visit, such as Puerto del Sol in Madrid or Bourbon Street in New Orleans. We simply try to plan around any possible problems.

There are things here and there that you can do, some of them have already been mentioned. Arriving earlier in the day, BYOB, travel in the off-season or having a grocery-store bought picnic etc etc can help.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,921,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I don't know what the Good Lord has to do with it, but Holland America allows you to bring unlimited amounts of wine and champaigne aboard with you. Many regular passengers wheel cases of wine with them. HAL (and many other lines as well) also allows you to order bottles of liquor from their bon voyage department for delivery and set-up in your room. Not quite BYOB, but it still avoids the per drink prices that several of you are whining about on this thread. Royal Caribbean is the only line that I can think of off-hand that neither allows any alcohol whatsoever to be brought on board by passengers nor allows passengers to purchase bottles from them.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,314,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Read Mark Twain's "Tramps Abroad" sometime. It was exactly the same in his time. Nothing new.
I live in a town only a few miles from where Mark Twain lived for a while.
We get a heavy amount of tourists thru town. We just learned to ask for the "local" price lately, usually a 10% to 20% discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or