U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,393,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Wtf do you care what someone drinks?

Also pending circumstance they may not be free either ..... Especially the tea ..... There have been countless instances where it's been cheaper to grab a drink on special than a tea which wouldn't be discounted

Again, I have no issue with the cost of grabbing a drink on vacation so I will continue to do so ....... Not sure the point our context of your post
I have no problem if people want to drink when they're on a cruise. It's just stupid to be moaning about having to pay the price for it, like it's a necessity of life.

That's WTF. Sheesh. Why the hostility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,583,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Go in the off season.
I regularly do this when I travel. I actually prefer it and you can find good deals then. Of course, that doesn't help in airports or with taxes, but you can get lots of discounts and lower rates on many things, not to mention the avoiding the hassle of large crowds and more traffic.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM

706 posts, read 1,809,167 times
Sometimes, tourist traps can actually be used to gain a fun experience.

I was in downtown Montreal with a friend once on a Sunday afternoon. We decided to go up in the Place Ville Marie, which was then the tallest building in Montreal. We got in the lobby, only to find that they were selling elevator tickets for a couple of bucks to ride up to the observation deck.

So we headed for the stairwell, and climbed the stairs 47 stories (I was much younger then). We then found the door out of the stairwell was locked. So we started back down, trying the doors at each level. A couple of floors down, the door opened, and we walked into the Air Canada office, occupying the entire floor, and completely vacated by any workers. We walked through to the other side of the office, to the elevator banks, and rang for the up elevator. There was a ding, and the doors opened, and there was the same lady who wanted to charge us to ride the elevator, looking very surprised to see us again under these circumstances. I said "47 please" and we stepped into the elevator, and rode two floors up to the observation deck. The ride down was also free.

Last edited by CowanStern; 05-27-2012 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't know what the Good Lord has to do with it, but Holland America allows you to bring unlimited amounts of wine and champaigne aboard with you. Many regular passengers wheel cases of wine with them. HAL (and many other lines as well) also allows you to order bottles of liquor from their bon voyage department for delivery and set-up in your room. Not quite BYOB, but it still avoids the per drink prices that several of you are whining about on this thread. Royal Caribbean is the only line that I can think of off-hand that neither allows any alcohol whatsoever to be brought on board by passengers nor allows passengers to purchase bottles from them.
First of all I wasn't whining...don't really care for cruises and the ones I've been on the bar tab hasn't been unbearable but for those who like to cruise and budget there is no true BYOB...seen several passengers trying to sneak bottles on board an NCL cruise that were consficated and returned at cruise end
Second the "regular" cruise lines..NCL, Carnival etc etc charge a corkage fee for wine & champagne
Thirdly the bon voyage prices to have bottles delivered to your room are robbery
So except for a few select pricey cruise lines there is no real BYOB

Bottom line is the food is plentiful aboard cruises, you can get decent cruising prices...this is how they make money by upcharging so high for drinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or