U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,766,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking about Bun Boy?
Yes, it was called The Thing. Never heard of Bun Boy. Someone with a big butt or a hamburger chain with small meat patties????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,708,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Yes, it was called The Thing. Never heard of Bun Boy. Someone with a big butt or a hamburger chain with small meat patties????
Bun Boy was a tourist trap hamburger restaurant in Baker, CA with a giant thermometer outside. I believe it's closed now.

I don't remember seeing The Thing anywhere but west of Willcox, AZ and it's been there since at least the early 60's.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM

72,203 posts, read 83,916,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 in San Francisco are both huge tourist traps with overpriced parking and restaurants, cheesy souvenir shops and a carnival atmosphere.
Boy this is a matter of opinion. I would disagree with you 100%. Yes, it is pricey, most touristy areas are pricey but one of our favority places is the Wharf. The fresh seafood, the view of Alcatraz, the people along the the pier panhandling with their funny signs, and the smell of the air. All this makes it a fun place to spend a few hours. When I think tourist traps I think of places like the fake Dinasour exhibits along I 40 for starters. of course another rip off is the little roadside stands and the stores selling things like fresh pecans, the price is always higher than anywhere else, the same with wineries. I love wine, we nearly always visit wineries when we are traveling but I know we are paying too much for what we get.

Nita

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM

3,696 posts, read 8,366,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Niagara Falls is a HUGE tourist trap on both sides. Hate it. Head North a bit to Niagara on the Lake, a WONDERFUL small town. There's also plenty of vineyards in the area.
Funny you should say that. We went to Niagara a while back. Loved to see the falls, hated staying there. So we packed up and headed to a B&B (really just a room in someone's house) in Niagara on the Lake and loved it! So quaint, on the lake, not too crowded, wonderful.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,575,626 times
Living in the world's largest tourist trap city, it takes a lot for me to call someplace else the same lol.

Gatlinburg, Cherokee and Pigeon Forge came to mind immediately!

Speaking of nagging the parents...every year we would travel from Illinois to Florida at Christmas time to visit my grandparents......Every year we went thru Chattanooga.....twice...once on the way down and the return trip. We begged and begged to stop at Ruby Falls and Rock City. This routine went on for 16 years...I kid you not...they would never give in.
These are the same parents that would take us to Tarpon Springs, Weekee Wachee and Homassa Springs but NEVER Ruby Falls and Rock City.

Years pass and I now live in Orlando and my sister lives in Illinois...We decide to meet in the middle for a long weekend of fun. Guess what's in the middle? That's right....Chatanooga..Ruby Falls and Rock City. When this was discovered, we imediately invited our Mom to join us.....if she knew what was in store she would never have gone.

Yes, we went to Ruby Falls and Rock City...had fun...had even more fun telling the story of how abused we were as children because our parents would never bring us here.....to everyone that would listen. Mom was less than thrilled but a good sport about it.

Today...my husband and I are planning a trip up there to buy land...I ended up falling in love with that area.

Don't know if my Mom will ever return with me tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel