Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM

311 posts, read 467,288 times

Advertisements

Pegion Forge...is a tourist trap, Gatlinburg too, but not as bad, I was disapointed in some parts of Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
The constant highway signs in the original post remind of the Wall Drug in South Dakota-- signs all over I-90.

If you travel to Alaska's interior, you'll see a ton of gold panning tourist traps.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As is the "Redneck Riviera" on the Florida panhandle Gulf Coast. I can't think of a worse place to hang out than Panama City. It's just....tawdry.
There is a lot more to the Panhandle than Panama City.
Grayton Beach (Nice Dogs Strange People) is between Destin and Panama City and is pretty nice, as is much of So. Walton County.
But all you really need to do is head eastward to the Forgotten Coast. St Joe Beach, Port St Joe, Cape San Blas, Apalachicola....It's Old Florida, not too many amenities, but it is a lot more palatable. You get the clear water and sugar sand beaches without the honky-tonk and drunken college kids.

I think one of the most memorable tourist traps we ever visited was the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz, California. It was completely bogus, but very well done.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
What exactly defines a "tourist trap?" To me, there has to be something there of value or benefit, otherwise no one would stop. Wall Drug started with free water and penny donuts, so they say. It was a business venture that has morphed into what it is today, a business venture.

I've been to Gatlinburg, Rock City, John's Pass (near St. Petersburg). They are all just places where tourist congregate for the sights, be it overlooks or the beach, or maybe even just the proximity to something else. It isn't shocking that some of these places will charge, or that small businesses will pop up. To me, even Yellowstone NP is a tourist trap.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
The constant highway signs in the original post remind of the Wall Drug in South Dakota-- signs all over I-90.
Last time I was at Wall Drug, they still had 5-cent cups of coffee. Worth the stop, tourist trap or not.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
What exactly defines a "tourist trap?" To me, there has to be something there of value or benefit, otherwise no one would stop. Wall Drug started with free water and penny donuts, so they say. It was a business venture that has morphed into what it is today, a business venture.

... To me, even Yellowstone NP is a tourist trap.
I guess "tourist trap" means different things to different people. To me, there need NOT be anything of value or benefit to see, but the advertising lures you there to spend money. We generally call all souvenir shops tourist traps but would expand the term to include other man-made spots that entice tourists to stop and spend their money foolishly.

To me Wall Drug is a perfect example of a good tourist trap. They have road signs all over the world. I recall seeing one in the Yukon nearly 50 years ago. Crossing I-90 you're bombarded by them, to the point that you just HAVE to stop. The good thing about Wall Drug is that it needn't cost you a cent, but once you're there you're almost certain to buy something, be it food and drink, clothing or a souvenir. They actually have nice selections of certain items. I've bought Black Hills Gold jewelry there that I couldn't find elsewhere, a couple wallets, Levi's and just junk souvenirs. When my wife and I were married a decade ago, we made it a point to stop there on the way home to get "free breakfast rolls for newlyweds." I call it the grand-daddy of all tourist traps. I think it's a must-see!

The Mystery Spot.
I've been there! They're all over the country. I also went to the similar COSMOS in the Black Hills. No, I wasn't so enamored by the first one that I wanted to go to another. I happened to be with different people who insisted on stopping at both. I wasn't too impressed, but neither of them were particularly expensive and both were fun, short breaks from driving. Just don't take them seriously, as many do.

I would never consider Yellowstone Nat'l Park a tourist trap, although some of the gift shops in the park could be. The park itself is a natural wonder. The cost to enter it doesn't come close to the cost of maintaining its roads and trails and paying for rangers, etc. In fact, if you're over 62 and get your free "senior pass", entry to all national parks is free.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:21 AM

469 posts, read 913,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As is the "Redneck Riviera" on the Florida panhandle Gulf Coast. I can't think of a worse place to hang out than Panama City. It's just....tawdry.

Its getting bad. I travel frequently on business and PCB is one of my least favorite destinations. Used to be it was quiet for 10 months out of the year but now its starting to get crowded. Remember, Panama City and Panama City Beach are two different places. The Beach side isnt bad, but Everything East of the Hathaway bridge is run down and property values are falling. Graffiti is starting to show up and there are alot of boarded up commercial buildings. Population is primarily retirees, min wage workers and they also have a large welfare class. Military population has declined in the last few years and decent jobs are few and far between. A visit to PCB is alot of fun, great place to visit, but east of the bridge is a run down trailer park. Red Neck Riviera fits.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Parking fees are usually a tip-off about tourist traps. I was just reading about the Roaring Camp Railroad in Santa Cruz CA, they charge 12 bucks to park for a few hours. That smells like a tourist trap to me.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
The World's Largest Prairie Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!

In Western Kansas off of I-70. You see the signs for miles and miles.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1099345_f520.jpg

And here it is.....The Largest Prairie Dog:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5qSynaZG9s...0/IMG_6398.jpg

Old 05-27-2012, 01:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The World's Largest Prairie Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!

In Western Kansas off of I-70. You see the signs for miles and miles.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1099345_f520.jpg

And here it is.....The Largest Prairie Dog:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5qSynaZG9s...0/IMG_6398.jpg

Now...that's cheesy. REALLY cheesy.

It's almost as bad as "The World's Largest Peanut" in Durant, OK. Don't bother looking for it. (It's on the grounds of City Hall).
Attached Thumbnails
Tourist traps!!!!!-220px-worlds_largest_peanut_monument.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel