U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times

Advertisements

O'Hare
Midway
Moline Airport
Reno
Las Vegas
Denver
Portland, OR
Dallas: Love Field and the bigger one
Houston: Bush International
Orlando
Newark
Heathrow
Munich: Strauss International?
Buenos Aires: Both Eziera and the other one...
Bariloche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK, I can understand plane spotting, but what do you mean by "transport other people", please?
Bring/Pick up your friends/family to/from the airport

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,785 times
Quote:
I have a question about the thread title.

What else would one use an airport for other than travel?
Departure and return point for a sightseeing flight.

Learning how to fly an airplane.

Going to a restaurant that happens to be at an airport.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM

11,042 posts, read 6,197,307 times
Rochester
Philadelphia
Tampa
Dallas
Dulles (Va)
Naples Airport, also known as Capodichino Airport
Rome International Airport - Fiumicino
Washington Natl (Reagan)
Baltimore Intl Airport (BWI)
O'Hare

Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Bring/Pick up your friends/family to/from the airport
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Departure and return point for a sightseeing flight.

Learning how to fly an airplane.

Going to a restaurant that happens to be at an airport.

I'd consider bringing/picking up friends/family (a.k.a. "travelers"), sightseeing flights, or training flights, to all be using the airport for travel.

Do people actually go to airports to eat at particular restaurants? Maybe if you're Inspector Callahan and you want to get a burger from the ex-cop who has a stand there before thwarting a hijacking attempt. I live close enough to Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall (formerly "Friendship", a much better name) Airport to make doing so practical, but there is no restaurant there that would make me want to.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,502,785 times
Quote:
I'd consider bringing/picking up friends/family (a.k.a. "travelers"), sightseeing flights, or training flights, to all be using the airport for travel.
Why? Where are you traveling to?

Quote:
Do people actually go to airports to eat at particular restaurants? Maybe if you're Inspector Callahan and you want to get a burger from the ex-cop who has a stand there before thwarting a hijacking attempt. I live close enough to Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall (formerly "Friendship", a much better name) Airport to make doing so practical, but there is no restaurant there that would make me want to.
Depends on the airport. There are some GA airports near where I live that have restaurants good enough that I would go. There's one I frequent that has a deck overlooking the airport. It's fun to sit out there and watch all the planes come and go. The food is pretty good, too.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Why? Where are you traveling to?

Depends on the airport. There are some GA airports near where I live that have restaurants good enough that I would go. There's one I frequent that has a deck overlooking the airport. It's fun to sit out there and watch all the planes come and go. The food is pretty good, too.

In the case of dropping off/picking up travelers at the airport, it's for THEIR travel that the airport is being used, not that of the person doing the dropping off/picking up. In the cases of sightseeing and training flights, the travel is being done in the immediate area.

OK, I guess that there are some airports that have a restaurant worth dealing with airport hassles, particularly a smaller airport. BWI is not one of them.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
New York (JFK) - Only Arrival
Atlanta
Miami - Only Departure
Orlando
Amsterdam
Eindhoven
Dusseldorf - Only Arrival
Paris (Charles de Gaulle) - Only Layover
Antalya
Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi)
Phuket
Kuala Lumpur
Singapore
Tokyo (Narita)

I like the airports in Phuket, Eindhoven and Singapore the most and Miami and Paris the least.

Eindhoven has an airport? Why, when AMS is a 1 1/2 hour train trip away .

Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM

OK, I remembered something an airport can be used for besides travel.

They can be used as a place to bother other people with your inconsequential political views, pester them with your particular brand of mythology, or plague them with requests for money.

I like the Robert Stack method of dealing with those annoying saps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qse_wf57tZM

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Eindhoven has an airport? Why, when AMS is a 1 1/2 hour train trip away .
Convenience.
Eindhoven Airport only has flights within Europe + Turkey and Morocco, with around 3.4 million travelers in 2013 its nothing compared to Schiphol- 52 million.
Rotterdam (1.5 mil), Maastricht (0.4 mil) and Groningen (0.2) have airports too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel