U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times

Advertisements

I suggest going for the full 90 days once you are there. I did 30 days for my honeymoon and it was WAY too short. Now I know of LOTS of less expensive ways to travel, so I would do the 90 days in a heartbeat and for VERY cheap (and spending money when and where important).

Paris and London are not so cheap, but you could rent a furnished flat on the outskirts / train ride away and have a GREAT time. Get to the beach in both France and England. Normandy area was well worth the time. Might as well see Wales and Scotland too (and Belgium and The Netherlands ...). You can do a Horse / Inn tour of Wales Coastline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,366,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Actually because the UK is not a Schengen state UK to Paris would have passport control. There are a few others like Norway and Switzerland too. But none require a visa for short term travel.
Huh, I thought the UK was part of that deal. Either way, they'll have their passport with them, so shouldn't be an issue.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Huh, I thought the UK was part of that deal. Either way, they'll have their passport with them, so shouldn't be an issue.
Nope, you still need a passport to travel to the UK .... from anywhere including the other EU countries (except Eire). However, for US passport holders no visa is required but you do have to fill out a landing card.

For the Schengen area (which is most of the EU), you do need a passport to enter. Again, no visa required for US passport holders. Once you are in the Schengen area, there is no passport control between countries so it is just like traveling inter-state in the USA. However, you will your passport as ID for airlines, etc. just as we use our drivers licenses for ID here in the USA.

For Switzerland, while technically you need your passport to enter, if you are flying in from the Schengen area there is no more passport control. If arriving by road, some of the border posts are manned but, in practice, they never ask for your passport and are more interested in how much booze, meat or butter you have.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM

5,326 posts, read 11,045,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
For Switzerland, while technically you need your passport to enter, if you are flying in from the Schengen area there is no more passport control. If arriving by road, some of the border posts are manned but, in practice, they never ask for your passport and are more interested in how much booze, meat or butter you have.
Dang, you can say that again ...
We always took ALL our kids with us on our semi-monthly shopping trip to Basel (Jaggy must have been crossing into France mainly ???), since the amount of stuff you can bring back depends on the number of people in your car ...
We did find some *unmanned* entries, by going *the scenic route home*.

For those who will be traveling by car to Switzerland, be not surprised to pay for a *Highway pass* (I think this is still going on ??)
If you buy the darn vignette in November, you're *screwed*, since it expires in December, ... Oh well ...

Last edited by irman; 05-30-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 01:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,759,939 times
Country Specific Information (Dept. of State info for Americans traveling abroad). Includes info on visas, contact info on U.S. Embassies and Consulates, etc. Web site also has info on travel advisories and warnings. BTW, if going to a country that requires a visa, don't assume you can get one at the airport. In Brazil, for example, you cannot (you wouldn't even get on the plane leaving the U.S.).

Schengen Fact Sheet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel