U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM

721 posts, read 2,662,535 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning a trip to playa del carmen within the next few weeks. I normally go to Negril have a few times a year the past six years or so finally ready to try someplace new picked cozumel just wondering if anyone has any tips for me of things to check out.

as for hotels ive nailed it down between two. first choice is playa palms which is right off fifth on the beach its not an all inclusive second choice is mahekal beach resort which has an all inclusive option or you can do non ai. pretty comarable in price. also still small chance im considering isla mujeres but kinda leaning towards one of these hotels in playa.

just curious if anyone whos been to the area could recommend one hotel over the other? also any day trips you'd recommend? any cheap food options that are maybe a little off the beaten path that i might enjoy? any other tips or advice youd like to offer. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,123,537 times
I would do Playa over Mujeres, but if you'd like a vibe that's a bit more like the non-AI part of Negril I'd strongly recommend heading south to Tulum. Either way, rent a car and check out the area, particularly some cenotes and some of the ruins in Tulum, Coba or Chichen Itza.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

721 posts, read 2,662,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I would do Playa over Mujeres, but if you'd like a vibe that's a bit more like the non-AI part of Negril I'd strongly recommend heading south to Tulum. Either way, rent a car and check out the area, particularly some cenotes and some of the ruins in Tulum, Coba or Chichen Itza.
tulum is where i origionally wanted to go but my gf wants to go to someplace probably more like playa and she's been a trooper and let me drag her around to what she would consider dumpy non ai hotels in negril and local restaurants so gonna let her have her way this time.

id heard alot of people say if you like negril you'd like isla mujeres but i think itd be easier to get around to day trips and just in general on mainland plus probably more to do

i definately plan on checking out tulum for a day trip and hopefully going back and staying there some othr time ive heard nothing but great thing about it lateyl. any hotels in tulum you'd recommen just incase i can talk the gf into tulum instead of playa? was also considering puerto morelos

Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,123,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
tulum is where i origionally wanted to go but my gf wants to go to someplace probably more like playa and she's been a trooper and let me drag her around to what she would consider dumpy non ai hotels in negril and local restaurants so gonna let her have her way this time.

id heard alot of people say if you like negril you'd like isla mujeres but i think itd be easier to get around to day trips and just in general on mainland plus probably more to do

i definately plan on checking out tulum for a day trip and hopefully going back and staying there some othr time ive heard nothing but great thing about it lateyl. any hotels in tulum you'd recommen just incase i can talk the gf into tulum instead of playa? was also considering puerto morelos
It's a little pricey, but we really enjoyed Azulik in Tulum. There are other places that probably offer a better value, but the position and ambiance at Azulik is what tempted us and we weren't disappointed.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM

334 posts, read 956,088 times
Playa is beautiful! Chichen Itza is impressive but is at least a 4 hour bus ride from there, Tulum is much closer.
Xcaret park is just minutes from Playa, our family really enjoyed it because we're fans of Mexican culture but it's not for everyone.
Hidden Worlds cenotes was highly recommended to us but we didn't have time to do it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
If it were me, I would always do the all inclusive assuming you enjoy drinking. The savings on alcohol can be substancual, plus AI generally do offer side trips, some including in the price. It is safer right now, to travel with a tour group than by yourselves anyplace in Mexico. Of course places like the tourist resorts haven't had the violence the metro cities and border towns have experienced. Playa Del Carman is reallly nice. Be sure and take a side trip to Xcaret.

Nita

Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM

3,693 posts, read 8,338,085 times
Check out a forum just for this topic. Lots of trip reports and reviews of different resorts. I prefer AI because I like to RELAX and not have to worry about anything when I am on the beach. Other people like non AI because they llike to go out and be adventuresome when traveling. To each his/her own but sounds like you need a compromise for the gf.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico forum

Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM

114 posts, read 193,149 times
The beach at Mahekal is lovely, near the north end of town. It will be quieter there than near Playa Palms, so they could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. The drinks service we had at Mahekal was good. It's also near one of my favorite places to eat in Playa - La Cueva del Chango.

The rooms at Mahekal are more rustic (my friend stayed there last year while another friend and I stayed at a condo nearby). The rooms at Playa Palms are nice, although that pool is very small.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,585 times
I highly recommend Xel ha (pronounced shell-ha). It offers snorkeling, tubing on a river, food, hammocks, swimming with dolphins (for an extra charge), shopping, lounging around and a general fun atmosphere. Most places offer a tour package-half day at Tulum and half day at Xel ha. I GREATLY suggest you take a taxi and stay all day at Xel ha or you won't have sufficient time for everything. We have been 3 times and would go again in a heartbeat.
Xel-Há All Inclusive | Cancun Tours, Snorkeling in Cancun, Tulum Excursions

Tulum ruins are great to see and I think there is a pretty good size market just before you go in. There is very little shade however, and it gets HOT! So plan your trip in the morning and wear your swimsuit under clothes because there is a trail down to an amazingly beautiful beach that will make you forget the ruins on the cliff. Spoiler alert-we came across some nude sunbathers here, so be aware.

We went to Xcaret once and it is ok, but very spread out and hot to walk around. The evening show is fabulous, but in Spanish so a little difficult to follow. The costumes and pagentry is amazing.

Playa del Carmen is great-clubs on a much smaller scale than Cancun, you can take the ferry to Cozumel for the day, visit Playa Aventuras marina with manatees, sea lions and dolphins, or just hang out at the resort all day.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM

8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
Playa Del Carmen. Can't beat the Riu Hotel chain for good food and clean rooms. Several in whatever your price range in PDC. We've stayed at 3 of them and they were all great. Beach is wonderful out front of the RIU Palace and Yucatan. Short cab ride to downtown and shoping. That would be my recommendation for my first trip to Mayan Riviera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or