U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,421 times

Advertisements

I've used a bunch of guides and LP is the best for me, best maps and best organization. The LP effect is a bit bothersome - everyone tends to descend on a particular hotel/sight etc. go a particular route etc. just because LP told them to do it. Infact I have NEVER followed an LP suggestion exactly, I have always taken bits and pieces from LP and other sources to create my own plan.

The way I use a guide is just that, as a guide not as some absolute word that I should follow - the guide is just a suggestion. I also use Wikitravel and other sources including travel forums to get information and then create my own plan...after that the guide is useful just for maps.

Also note that guides are notorious for outdated information regarding restaurants, hotel costs, timetables etc. for obvious purposes a guide printed yearly just cannot keep up with daily changes.

I have heard so many people say "oh guide XXX told me to go here and there but when I showed up it wasn't there", oh really? c'mon now! it's common sense that things change and no guide can accurately deliver this kind of information on a realtime basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,970,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Rough Guides, etc.
A lot of people complain about Rough Guide being one long tedious wall of text, and it is--but sometimes I am in the mood for that; RGs can be good, immersive preparatory books for reading well before the trip date.

Quote:
If you've done some basic info, you'll get the best responses. As for general Internet Web sites as sources, as with anything else you have to learn which sites are best, most objective, etc.
Amen. For me this is true for any site. I will ignore any question I read that is too broad (read: lazy.) I no longer have the time for people (especially those drive-by types who post and disappear) that want someone else to do all the research. A site I've recommended before: Eurotrip
It's been around since long before the movie. Their Cheap Flights forum can be especially good.
Quote:
Astounding fact: just because it's on the Internet doesn't make it true (this post being the obvious exception).
No, really?!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,380,099 times
The last time I used LP was 1991. It was very much oriented to traveling cheaply. Also, everybody we met under 30 seemed to have one and often ended up at the same places recommended by the book. Now I prefer Moon Guides (when I can get one for a given country). If I can't get a Moon Guide, I'll look for a Rough Guide instead. These two seem to fill a niche in between deluxe and budget travel. Since I have a job to come back to now, I don't mind spending some extra money to do or see something that I might have skipped if I was more budget-conscious. I also don't have the same tolerance for staying in dives. In fairness LP may have changed a lot since I last looked at one.

Last edited by xeric; 06-06-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,278,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
The way I use a guide is just that, as a guide not as some absolute word that I should follow - the guide is just a suggestion. I also use Wikitravel and other sources including travel forums to get information and then create my own plan...after that the guide is useful just for maps.
Exactly. They're guides. The challenge for so many travelers, though, is that they're lazy. They expect others to tell them what to do, where to go, what to pay, etc. So they buy a guidebook expecting it to do all of that for them. We see the same behavior on travel forums. "I'm going to Mexico next week. What is there to do and see?" My response is usually, "Why did you choose xyz country in the first place, what interested you?"

Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,915,831 times
There is no need to buy any guide. Everything you want or need is on the Internet. You do have to decide on what you want to do or see, then go research it. I like virtualtourist.com alot. You can ask and share info with people on forums(some are locals or ex-pats) and look at the suggestions on off the beat, landmarks, etc. to visit for a particular location. Each night in your hotel room, you can also get on the net to do more research for the following day if you need to or just ask other tourists in your hotel about suggestions.

Last edited by JL; 06-09-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM

14,283 posts, read 24,068,890 times
As a person who generally downloads 200 pages for a one week vacation. using the internet as the SOLE SOURCE of information for travel insures that you WILL miss a lot of things, especially the lesser known sites.

Most internet searches yield results that are more geared to generating income for the search engine than in providing factual information.

I use the guide books as a planning tool to determine whether what I read on the internet is actual AND to prioritize what I want to do.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,278,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
There is no need to buy any guide. Everything you want or need is on the Internet.
This has not been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or