U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 AM

24 posts, read 37,195 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I just graduated a couple of weeks ago and I am relocating from the west coast (Washington State) to Minneapolis, MN.

I'm used to the snow and etc... what can else can I expect in the city?

I also plan on driving there (1300+ miles) and just shipping my clothing to my future apartment via UPS/Fedex (whichever is cheaper).

Any tips on how to deal with the long drive?

Thanks XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post
Any tips on how to deal with the long drive?
That's not a very long drive. But do enjoy it.
Allow LOT's of extra time for side trips and overnights in a few places along the way.
Where doesn't really matter.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's not a very long drive. But do enjoy it.
Allow LOT's of extra time for side trips and overnights in a few places along the way.
Where doesn't really matter.
Not a long drive? o.O I thought 4 hour drives were long -.-

Even my 1.5 hour drive from my college apartment to my parents house feels long.

But yea, I'll plan my trip and take some detours along the way I guess.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

14,247 posts, read 14,132,862 times
Don't overdo yourself if you're not used to long drives.

Make sure you take breaks along the way, get out stretch, go for a (non alcoholic!) drink and keep hydrated. Snooze if you need to, preferably not whilst driving.

Sleep issues at the wheel are a bigger issue than drink driving.

I could go on for ages as to what to do (paranoid Dad syndrome) but make sure that your vehicle is roadworthy- especially properly inflated tires.

Best of luck and enjoy it!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Don't overdo yourself if you're not used to long drives.

Make sure you take breaks along the way, get out stretch, go for a (non alcoholic!) drink and keep hydrated. Snooze if you need to, preferably not whilst driving.

Sleep issues at the wheel are a bigger issue than drink driving.

I could go on for ages as to what to do (paranoid Dad syndrome) but make sure that your vehicle is roadworthy- especially properly inflated tires.

Best of luck and enjoy it!
Thanks! I'll definitely keep these in mind.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Yes very EZ drive to MSP, I have done it straight through many times. Fortunately I have an econo car that only has to stop ONCE for fuel (usually in Deer Lodge, MT for breakfast)

I would take some detours (depending on your route) such as:
EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota
Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Hot Springs (there are several)

America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

I would definitely NOT miss this. (considered most spectacular Highway in USA)
Beartooth Highway

I like the Tetons better than Yellowstone so would do that too. I do National Parks in VERY early morning (5-10am and from 5-10PM to avoid traffic / crowds. I hike, go to library / museum or take a nap in the early afternoons (I usually drive through the boring parts of road trip at night).

I like to camp in the city parks of small towns, most are free. Powell WY is GREAT place to camp.

Take route 14a if heading from Yellowstone to Sheridan WY, I rarely take interstate Highways if I have the time to spend talking / staying with local folks. (it will take you about 2x as long on back roads, but If you don't have to be to work in 2 days, then take a week and enjoy yourself. You will need some GOOD summer memories to get through MSP winter. I love MN back lawns, as no-one has privacy fences, so you just glean what ever you need from each other's gardens. I miss the plentiful rhubarb...

There are lots of "road-games' you can play to stay awake / have fun traveling. (I had a 863 mile (~14 hrs) nightly trucking route through WY and SD during College (7yrs...) I used many crazy games to stay awake EXCEPT when driving in blizzards (very frequent) They seem to keep me awake!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,055,768 times
If you are at all planning on staying at a hotel in western North Dakota or eastern Montana, then I'd get reservations before hand. The oil boom in North Dakota means that most of the hotels can be completely booked and pricey. I've gone to that area and I had to drive multiple hours to find any open room at all (not a good thing after you are already tired).

A better idea would be to time out the drive so you don't need to stay in that area overnight. Another alternative would be to go through South Dakota instead.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
...A better idea would be to time out the drive so you don't need to stay in that area overnight. Another alternative would be to go through South Dakota instead.
Yes, see the Black Hills and stay at the 'main street manor hostel' in Lead, SD

Great community pool nearby.

DO NOT go through SD if your trip is during (or within 2 weeks +/-) Sturgis !!! Aug 6-12, 2012
http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM

BTW: road games when traveling alone...
Using mile markers to gauge drink / food consumption.

(I eat (1) random peanut m&m, but only eat blue one at a milemarker divisible by 4 (number of letters in Blue).
Since orange and Yellow are both 6... I assign 7 to Yellow, which is a bummer (divisible by seven). BUT... the real stinker is MISSING a mile marker divisible by seven, as you will only do that once... cuz you have to wait a LONG time to find another. (MUST consume ONLY if you see the Milemarker, a real problem when the marker is missing.

You can play math games with milemarkers too. Also license plate numbers (but only when there are other cars on the road (seldom the case while I'm driving)

eating animal cookies in the dark and trying to decide what you are eating with your tongue / mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or