U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Cruises seem to be like Disney vacations, a once in a lifetime event for middle class families. Traveling to Hawaii or the Carribbean might be in this category as well, but anything abroad is a destination for upper middle class to wealthy families. That is unaffordable to most people.
I disagree.
I've been traveling most of my life.
When I was pretty darned poor, I used consolidators, last minute or courier to travel to SE Asia from US east coast.
You can get cheap flights here and there and if you're not a travel snob, can travel inexpensively abroad.
I just traveled for 3 weeks through Scandinavia and the Baltic States including petrol for less than Ä1,000.
I self-catered and did my research.
I live in Europe, so the only difference would be air fare.
I still travel to SE Asia for a month at a time and, including airfare, it's still around $1,500 for the trip; about $850-900 is for the flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 AM

8,034 posts, read 2,817,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with class. It simply has to do with money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Cruises seem to be like Disney vacations, a once in a lifetime event for middle class families. Traveling to Hawaii or the Carribbean might be in this category as well, but anything abroad is a destination for upper middle class to wealthy families. That is unaffordable to most people.
It has more to do with priorities than money. I am solidly middle-class - but have travelled far and wide around the world, often for weeks or months at a time. I prioritise travel over other things I could spend my money on. I don't buy expensive clothes or jewellery, have driven the same car for twenty years, and don't need to be surrounded by tons of fancy furniture or electronic gizmos. If I bought the things my non-travelling friends buy, I'd have very little left for overseas trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I travel all over Europe in a VW camper van or by cheap airlines.
Before I owned my van, I tented all over Europe.
I go to the symphony and art galleries.

I have no idea what social class people are from.
I can travel in pretty much any manner I choose, I make good money.

I like to travel as I do.
I suppose others do as well.
Again, it's priorities. I too travel like chielgirl, though I prefer a 1-star hotel to a tent or a van! If I can travel for six weeks by using cheap hotels, or travel for two weeks staying in 4 star hotels, I'd choose the former for sure. For me it's about seeing and experiencing other countries, not staying in some Blando 3 or 4 star Hotel that looks and feels like every other Blando Hotel.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
It has more to do with priorities than money. I am solidly middle-class - but have travelled far and wide around the world, often for weeks or months at a time. I prioritise travel over other things I could spend my money on. I don't buy expensive clothes or jewellery, have driven the same car for twenty years, and don't need to be surrounded by tons of fancy furniture or electronic gizmos. If I bought the things my non-travelling friends buy, I'd have very little left for overseas trips.

Again, it's priorities. I too travel like chielgirl, though I prefer a 1-star hotel to a tent or a van! If I can travel for six weeks by using cheap hotels, or travel for two weeks staying in 4 star hotels, I'd choose the former for sure. For me it's about seeing and experiencing other countries, not staying in some Blando 3 or 4 star Hotel that looks and feels like every other Blando Hotel.
I like tenting and never realized how much I'd love my van. Campsites have wifi these days, it's too funny!
I have chemical sensitivities and need to control my environment, so high end doesn't work for me.

In winter I do the 1-star and use airbnb.com or wimdu.com for apartments at a little more than a hostel cost.

You're right, kobber.
It's about the city/area and not the room.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM

2,167 posts, read 4,193,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

I can definitely relate to this. Though work and other obligations now don't let me travel for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time (usually in summer), I've been been able to take 1-3 major trips each year for the past several years, as well as many shorter trips-- all on a middle class salary. Like Kobber, I don't buy lots of Stuff, and I also restrict my social/restaurant/bar spending pretty well. It also helps that I don't have (or want) kids, and travel is a budgeting priority for me. I can understand that some people will splurge for a multi-star hotel in order to relax in style and feel pampered, but when I travel I want to spend as little time in the hotel as possible. In a couple of years I'm hoping to do some more extensive traveling (I'll have time off from work), and the last thing I want to do is miss out on all of the people, places, and experiences I can interact with.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I thought that the US was a classless society.
It is. If you don't believe it, look at the Kardashians.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
I think it's a little smug to talk about priorities when dealing with traveling and being middle class or poor. When I was flat broke eating and paying rent were my priorities so needless to say I didn't travel. Now that I'm middle class, I can afford to travel a bit more but some of these far-off destinations are still too high as I still have bills to pay like anyone else.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM

72 posts, read 89,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What are common travel destinations for different social classes in your area?

Travel is one of those luxuries that depends on disposable income and number of days off.

Therefore, the lower class and working poor do not seem to travel much beyond visiting family members and occasionally going to an amusement park or nearby state park.

A popular destination for working-class families around here seems to be Wisconsin Dells. Other places that seem to attract much of the working class include state parks, the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota, and family members in distant states. Men go on frequent hunting and fishing trips to the woodlands and lakes within an hour or two. They may go on the once-in-a-rare-while leisure trip to Disneyworld or on a couples' cruise on one of the low-brow lines like Carnival.

Among the middle-class, flying the whole family out for a vacation is more affordable, or used to be. Popular destinations abroad for middle-class families in Minnesota are, or have included, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, and the Playa Riviera of Mexico; within the country, they may go on regular trips to such places as Florida, the western national parks (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc.), as well as more close-in destinations such as the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. They may own a cabin "up north" (referring to Northern Minnesota), where they often keep a motorboat moored. Cruise lines like Carnival are popular with them.

This also applies to many of the more affluent members of the working class.

The upper middle class (and middle class youth) seems to travel the most out of all the social classes (except the upper class), both for business and leisure. Leaving business travel aside, popular destinations for upper middle class families and couples are Hawaii, Italy, Costa Rica, and upscale Mexican destinations like Cabo San Lucas. Closer-in, they seem to have an affection for Door County, Wisconsin. They would seem to cruise on more upscale lines.

I don't know much about the travel habits of the upper class.
WOW...What an observation...people with money travel more and further...poor people stay closer to home....where ever that is ! I live in Italy and it's the same. The poor stay with relatives and the rich and middle class go to......America...and Australia.. Mexico and Costa Rica.....now isn't that strange ????

Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM

72 posts, read 89,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Excuse you? We live in the greatest country in the world. ANYBODY who was born and raised here can become the president or whatever they want to be through hard work, education, and perseverance. PERIOD. There are opportunities at every crack and corner of this country for every person of any race, religion, & sex. If you don't take advantage of it, that's no ones problem but yourself. You go to any third world country and compare it to the U.S. Come back and tell me what opportunity doesn't the U.S. have? Do not demean this country like that.
Now do you really believe that...come on face facts. The USA is not the only show on earth.....It did give oppurtunities to the poor humble European masses last century...but now we are declining. I have to live overseas becaouse I couldn't find a decent job in Florida !!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Well these days isn't class just how rich you are? Especially in the states, there's less of that aristocratic thing you have in Europe. Most of the wealthy are self-made, not heirs to the Vanderbilts or something...

Anyway here in Australia, although travel is more affordable than ever, there's a fair segment who has never really travelled anywhere. They do tend to not be able to afford it or have no interest in it. At most they will go somewhere locally on a road trip, or a flight to Bali.

The majority middle class: well it varies...a lot will have gone to the eastern states, Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast, and to places in SEA like Bali and maybe Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong. On the east coast Fiji. Also a lot go to New Zealand.

If you save up it's not hard to go to the US or Europe, which quite a few (but fewer than go to Asia) do. It's a lot to do with distance and the cost of things over there. The more adventurous might go to Africa or S.America, or say somewhere like India or Nepal. Increasingly China is also a destination.

Of course people of all classes enjoy domestic trips. In Perth everything is so isolated that people don't usually drive to the eastern states...I've heard someone say caravans were a 'working class' thing which isn't true at all, I mean working class people do enjoy it, but plenty of well-heeled folk like to do it, not only in their 'golden years' either.

The wealthy probably just travel more or spend more while travelling, and traditionally it's been Europe. There's been a long-standing tradition for Australians of means to take the 'pilgrimage' to Britain, and also seeing Europe at the same time, sometimes working there for a stint. Nowadays the US, Canada and Asia are also common destinations for working holidays.

There's quite a strong backpacking/budget traveller culture in Australia (like Europe) which is less common in the States. So there are folk who aren't particularly rich who save up who can take big 6 month adventures around the world going to places as far afield as Macchu Picchu or the Canary Islands who aren't necessarily 'rich' per se, at least by our standards. It's a matter of priorities, I think. If you're a single professional and aren't paying off a mortgage it's easy to save up for big trips once a year. I think in Australia world travel is definitely available to the masses, most of the population, if they want it.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
I live at a tourist destination and the people who come to vacation are all over both the social scale and the economic scale.

You can find meth heads, middle class, new money, old money, movie stars, and even some aristocracy, all of them vacationing here.

There are hotel rooms all the way from very cheap to outrageously expensive. There are wonderful places to camp. There are lots of good inexpensive restaurants and some world class gourmet very pricey places to eat.

The tourists come from literally all over the world, so I assume that they have some money. Many of the world travelers are here to camp or participate in sporting events, so they are not visibly rolling in dough, but they have enough to pay for what they are doing (which is often expensive).

I don't see much of a visible hint about how wealthy the tourists are. They all tend to look an awful lot alike. Dressed similarly, driving the same rental cars, doing the same activities.

So, I am not seeing much of a class (either social or monetary) divide in where tourists go. Although there are certainly plenty of cities in the world that are much more fun and interesting if you have money to spend. That doesn't generally stop lower income people from going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or