Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
My wife and I are squarely middle class and travel fairly regularly. Our travels can be from a two hour drive to Kingston, ON, the family cottage in Muskoka, to jumping on flight to Las Vegas or Manhattan. In May we took a week and got married in NYC, then spent an additional week on our honeymoon in Veradero, Cuba. Last week, we booked on a tour group to see the Packers trounce the Lions in Detroit this November. Before we met, I had travelled to Ireland and she had been to Japan.

I really don't get how destination is keyed to "social class". We choose our destinations based solely on interest level and time constraints
I imagine time constraints are related to how much time you can afford financially to take off. Obviously someone living from pay-check to pay-check won't be able to take time off for a European vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What are common travel destinations for different social classes in your area?

Travel is one of those luxuries that depends on disposable income and number of days off.

Therefore, the lower class and working poor do not seem to travel much beyond visiting family members and occasionally going to an amusement park or nearby state park.

A popular destination for working-class families around here seems to be Wisconsin Dells. Other places that seem to attract much of the working class include state parks, the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota, and family members in distant states. Men go on frequent hunting and fishing trips to the woodlands and lakes within an hour or two. They may go on the once-in-a-rare-while leisure trip to Disneyworld or on a couples' cruise on one of the low-brow lines like Carnival.

Among the middle-class, flying the whole family out for a vacation is more affordable, or used to be. Popular destinations abroad for middle-class families in Minnesota are, or have included, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, and the Playa Riviera of Mexico; within the country, they may go on regular trips to such places as Florida, the western national parks (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc.), as well as more close-in destinations such as the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. They may own a cabin "up north" (referring to Northern Minnesota), where they often keep a motorboat moored. Cruise lines like Carnival are popular with them.

This also applies to many of the more affluent members of the working class.

The upper middle class (and middle class youth) seems to travel the most out of all the social classes (except the upper class), both for business and leisure. Leaving business travel aside, popular destinations for upper middle class families and couples are Hawaii, Italy, Costa Rica, and upscale Mexican destinations like Cabo San Lucas. Closer-in, they seem to have an affection for Door County, Wisconsin. They would seem to cruise on more upscale lines.

I don't know much about the travel habits of the upper class.
Where I live most people travel to places where they have family on religious/national holidays or they pick any destination of interest worldwide if they can afford it.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I thought that the US was a classless society.
Not only is it not classless, it is even color-coded.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not only is it not classless, it is even color-coded.
What is class these days but how much money you have?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What is class these days but how much money you have?
Taste and education play a huge role.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Ski resort and ski habits of people has significantly changed. 30 years ago or so, anyone could afford skiing. A lift ticket and ski rental was within reach of most middle class families. Fast forward 30 years. A lift ticket is ten times the cost for a day pass. 1980 you could go skiing for $12 a day! 2013, even cheap resorts are $85 a day. A normal resort, $120. That is not even factoring in cost of ski equipment, lunch, or ski clothing.

Skiing is now pretty much for the wealthy. Call golfing a white man's sport? How many black skiers can you name? It is rare to see minorities skiing, except for Asians.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I live in the vacation capital of the US--the Orlando area.

Those without means either don't go anywhere or maybe go to a place like Magic Midway or Old Towne in Kissimmee where you can pay by the ride or just walk around and look at stuff, or go to the beach for the day.

Those who are lower middle income to middle income tend to have annual passes to one or more of the theme parks, and typical vacations out of the area are to other parts of Florida, the mountains in GA or SC, or one of the beaches for a few days to a week or a cheap cruise.

Upper middle income travel any number of places including NYC, Las Vegas, Boston, NOLA, the Caribbean, Mexico, and a lot of cruises.

The lower end of upper income tend to go to Europe, Hawaii, cruises, pretty much anywhere.

The jet-setters go wherever is popular for jet-setters that season.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
The popular spots with middle income folks near here include Branson, Mo, Florida Panhandle beaches, Smokey Mtns.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

It has more to do with priorities than money. I am solidly middle-class - but have travelled far and wide around the world, often for weeks or months at a time. I prioritise travel over other things I could spend my money on ...

Again, it's priorities.
I agree.

As a youngster I vowed my life would be full of adventure and I would travel the world. My family was not affluent and we were right in the middle of the middle class.

By the time I was 21 had been to Europe four times, as well as Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

At this point in my life I have visited around 85 - 90 countries on six continents ... not just quick tourist visits but 3 1/2 months on one of my four trips to India and Nepal, three months in Israel, Egypt and Jordan, a month in Thailand, etc.

Travel is very important to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Taste and education play a huge role.
Maybe in the old days, and certainly not in the US, the land of new money and self-made millionaires...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel