U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,091,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe in the old days, and certainly not in the US, the land of new money and self-made millionaires...
There is a relatively large cadre of well-educated and/or cultivated Americans who can appreciate Europe on a far more highbrow level than "OOh, the McDonalds here serve beer!!!" A great deal of that "new money" was actually already solidly upper-middle class, but that's another discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Don't recalling maligning them or anything of the sort.
Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes, skiing has, for the most part, become a hobby for the wealthy. Even the "cheap" resorts cost a lot of money these days and a season pass is out of the question in a lot of areas.
I disagree. There are a lot of tertiary slopes where a season pass for a family of four can be had for under $800. Typical season runs mid November through mid March. That's 16 or more weeks of skiing. $50 per week. If they go every weekend for a half day, that's a better value than a movie, baseball game, pretty much anything. If they go for a full day once a week, it works out to $4 per hour. There isn't much you can do for that price.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,985,953 times
In Portland Or, that answer would be Hawaii for about 80% of respondents. Hawaiian flys to Honolulu for as low as $300 bucks r/t $400 most times. The average fare is less than $500/ pp for non stop flights to HNL, Maui, Kona and now Lihue, just 5 h 30 mins and your in Hawaii on Alaska Airlines. Hotels are typically $150-200/night. I'm about to take my whole brood (5) next week and we only paid $4300 for 7 days through Expedia. Last time my Wife and I went we realized 2 things. All restaurants and attractions in Hawaii are overrated and over priced. and...We spent too much time just driving around beach hopping with our oldest son and eating was like a secondary thing "Oh, we forgot to eat." we will just hit up Panda Express in Lahaina.

We didn't do any tours or anything and were perfectly happy. Maui is awesome, we are big nature/state/national park fans, we made it off the island spending about $3500 for all 3 of us.

My uncle and aunt who are certifiably very wealthy. Do the same thing but manage to rack up a $20k bill for the same amount of time for just the two of them. They fly first class (which is pointless, it's a wider seat and free beer for $150 bucks....BFD.) My uncle has to rent Corvette or Stang vert, they buy $30 dollar breakfasts, $40 dollar lunches, and $50-70 per plate dinners. They rent $100 hour jet skis all day. My uncle charters a private boat with champagne and dinner and other ridiculous crap. The "villa" they stay in is 1600 sq foot and has a bar and jacuzzi and all sorts of idiotic stuff you pay $1000 per night. They also go to luaus and entertainment venues and other silly touristy stuff.

So, long story short. I don't believe there is a difference between destinations. I think anyone can go anywhere with the exception of out of the way tropical places like Bora Bora or the Maldives. There are 3 things that separate different classes vacations.

1. Mode of transportation.
2. Level of Accommodations at destination
3. Activities/food/and entertainment.

Honestly, you can have a short vacation in Maui for less than $700pp. My wife's cousin, did it for $500, she got some crazy deal on Hawaiian Airlines for $240 rt last minute. Took a puddle jumper for 50 bucks from HNL to OGG. Then stayed with another family at some cut rate hotel off of the beach and they just drove to the beach every day. Looking at Facebook you'd never know the difference between her cheap vacation, my mid-level, vacation, and my uncle's ridiculous vacation. We were all on a beach in Maui. Who's to say my uncle had a better time than my wife's cousin.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
In the Washington, D.C. area, people travel mainly based on personal interests and family connections.

A lot of people, such as myself, prefer to go to western Europe. Many others prefer the Caribbean, Florida, the south, Canada, the west coast, Latin America, Asia, Africa, ... Basically, all over the map.

But I think going to Paris gets you a little more cred than any other single place. :-)

Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,137 times
Hi Good Evening Every one. If We Know Travel Tips then it leads to save money and save time.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 533 times
Default interesting topic

The concept of a class society in America is interesting - no one wants to believe it. Here is my story:

I am in store management at a retail place - I make 40k. My person makes 65k.

This is not what makes us middle class. I have a BA, she has a MS- one car paid off, own a home, no kids. This is what makes us middle class. Education, income, home ownership, zip code.

We started by traveling to Mexico - all inclusive. Trip to Kauai in 2013 - three weeks. Trip to Yellowstone June 2014 - one week. Trip to Maui 2015 - three weeks.

Travel while we can afford it - go big - do small stuff when we retire.

My staff? 50+ people making 9.00 an hour. They use their vacation time to supplement their income. They go back home - to Iowa, Nebraska (we are CO based).

We definitely plan on a European vacation - this is the once in a lifetime thing. My lower class staff could never do this. But since it is a once in a lifetime deal - this puts me squarely in the middle class.

Yes - you can travel in any class - but I think the inherent question is valid - do you solidify your class status by your vacations? I do. Maybe that makes me an a..hole - but I just want to do the best I can.

My .02

Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Me personally, whenever I travel it's on the cheap. It doesn't matter how much money I have. I am a shopper and I want to experience as much as possible. For example, I would never stay in American hotels because I can stay there whenever I want when I travel in America.

I'm not at all sure you can equate class and vacation destinations. It depends more on priorities. If travel is important to you, you will go.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
upscale Mexican destinations like Cabo San Lucas.
Cabo is considered 'upscale' among Mexican locations? Did not know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or