U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,127,129 times

Advertisements

So here's the deal.
Wifie and I are taking a week off by the end of this month. We got a pair of round trip tickets (with Southwest airlines) to go anywhere in the U.S.
so we thought this could be a good opportunity to use them.

We thought of doing Las vegas for 2 days and then rent a car and drive to the Grand Canyon, and stay for a couple of days over there. I checked on Google maps and the drive is almost 5 hours.
That seems a lot of driving, so we're now not very sure if it's a good idea to go to Vegas.

We really like the outdoors, and a nice national park would be perhaps our ideal destination but we're open to other options as well.

We also thought of Yellowstone, but it also seems pretty isolated.

any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM

180 posts, read 426,525 times
Vegas is alright, not really my cup of tea, I'm not much of a gambler though. There are some really great shows, my fave was Sirque du soleil "O" at the Bellagio. I much prefer to be outdoors and hiking in the backcountry.

The Grand Canyon is spectacular. The drive IMHO is worth it (Flew into Phoenix, AZ). I hiked down into the canyon last year but went during fall. Summer temps are going to be easily 100+ down in the canyon. Not sure if you and the wife are into backpacking, just know that backcountry permits are hard to come by. There are lots of day hikes available, but make sure to fill up on water. The GC has the highest rates of evacuation rescues due to dehydration and exhaustion. Going down is easy, coming back up in the heat will sap the strength out of you if not careful.

Yellowstone is awesome, I was there last summer. Flew into Bozeman, MT and backpacked in Yellowstone for 4 days. The geo-thermal wonders and wildlife abundance makes this park very unique. There will be lots of traffic on the roads especially if wildlife is spotted, all cars will stop and everyone will get out to snap photos. Get on the trails and you'll lose the hoards pretty quickly. If you do hike, be safe and carry bear spray.

I think there are 56 National Parks in the US? Don't quote me on that but really just depends on what type of enviroment you like or want to see. Alpine/Mtns: Glacier National Park in MT, Yosemite in CA, Rocky Mtn in CO. Canyons: Grand Canyon in AZ, Zion in UT, ect.

Most of the National Parks will require a bit of a drive, but so woth it in my opinion. I think the easiest ones that I've been to are Smoky Mtn NP, flew into Knoxville, TN and about 1 hr drive and Rocky Mtn NP, flew into Denver and it was also about a 1 1/2hr drive. I backpack in and camp out in the backcountry so I'm not sure where to stay hotel wise. Hopefully you'll get better advice in that department. Have fun and safe travels wherever you decide to go!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post
Vegas is alright, not really my cup of tea, I'm not much of a gambler though. There are some really great shows, my fave was Sirque du soleil "O" at the Bellagio. I much prefer to be outdoors and hiking in the backcountry.

The Grand Canyon is spectacular. The drive IMHO is worth it (Flew into Phoenix, AZ). I hiked down into the canyon last year but went during fall. Summer temps are going to be easily 100+ down in the canyon. Not sure if you and the wife are into backpacking, just know that backcountry permits are hard to come by. There are lots of day hikes available, but make sure to fill up on water. The GC has the highest rates of evacuation rescues due to dehydration and exhaustion. Going down is easy, coming back up in the heat will sap the strength out of you if not careful.

Yellowstone is awesome, I was there last summer. Flew into Bozeman, MT and backpacked in Yellowstone for 4 days. The geo-thermal wonders and wildlife abundance makes this park very unique. There will be lots of traffic on the roads especially if wildlife is spotted, all cars will stop and everyone will get out to snap photos. Get on the trails and you'll lose the hoards pretty quickly. If you do hike, be safe and carry bear spray.

I think there are 56 National Parks in the US? Don't quote me on that but really just depends on what type of enviroment you like or want to see. Alpine/Mtns: Glacier National Park in MT, Yosemite in CA, Rocky Mtn in CO. Canyons: Grand Canyon in AZ, Zion in UT, ect.

Most of the National Parks will require a bit of a drive, but so woth it in my opinion. I think the easiest ones that I've been to are Smoky Mtn NP, flew into Knoxville, TN and about 1 hr drive and Rocky Mtn NP, flew into Denver and it was also about a 1 1/2hr drive. I backpack in and camp out in the backcountry so I'm not sure where to stay hotel wise. Hopefully you'll get better advice in that department. Have fun and safe travels wherever you decide to go!

Thank you for such a thoughtful response.

We love backpacking and hiking also, and actually would like to do that, but considering it's gonna be the middle of summer, and even though it is one of the destinations we've been wanting to go for a loooong time, the Grand Canyon might be a little to hot for us.
My wife is also 3 months pregnant so a streneous hike might no be advisable, but we definitely want our trip to be more nature oriented and wouldn't mind camping.

Since you've seen both, which one did you like more; Yosemite or Yellowstone?

Thanks again for your input, it's very helpful.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,826,012 times
Fly into Denver and visit
1) Rocky Mountain National Park - hike to the Continental Divide
2) Botanic Gardens, Art Museum, Science & Nature Museum, Denver Zoo, any one of the gazillion trails in and around the City (esp. Red Rocks)
3) Drive to the summit of Mt Evans
4) Go whitewater rafting thro Poudre Canyon
5) Visit a genuine ghost town

Colorado Springs:
1) Garden of the Gods
3) Pikes Peak (get the train up and hike down)
4) Seven Falls
5) Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,257,579 times
we just got back from Vegas, GCanyon, Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon and TBH Grand Canyon is not as spectacular as the other two. We didn't drive to the canyon from Vegas we got a helicopter trip and then drove to the other 2. thats another way to see the canyon / vegas and get in a couple of other national parks.....

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,973,194 times
We flew to Vegas for our trip to the Grand Canyon (air fare was much cheaper), but since I'm afraid of driving over bridges, we took the long way for our drive to the Canyon. It was gorgeous. It took us 6 hours (the short way, over the Hoover Dam, is only 2 hours I heard). The drive can seem monotonous, but we kept imagining what it must have been like for the early settlers to think they could see something soon as they got to the top of this mountain - and all that they could see ...........was a higher mountain! We thought we were the bear that went over the mountain. But it was a trip well-worth it for us.

The previous day we had gone to the Dam.

Being from the east and seeing the GC and Dam and surrounding areas, was awesome - true sense of the word. Pictures just cannot do it justice. As far as Vegas - eh.

We also took a trip to Phoenix - went west to a national park and south. We went in October - and I wouldn't advise any of those trips at the end of June.

The more northerly national parks sound like good trips to us - we are planning to make a month long driving trip after we move to the middle of the country next year.

If you want to see New England, this is a perfect time of year - the Maine coast, hills (mini-mountains) of New Hampshire and Vermont, touring Boston - you could even consider a Niagara Falls trip.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 15,658 times
Depending on how much you like to hike, I would totally recommend going to Havasu Falls Waterfalls of Havasupai: Havasu Falls, Mooney Falls, Navajo Falls, Beaver Falls - havasupaitribe.com. My husband and I just came from a week long southwest national park trip and this was one of our stops. SO amazing! The hike to and from there is brutal, but totally worth it. You can jump off waterfalls, do lots of hiking, camp, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 15,658 times
oh sorry, I didn't read that your wife is pregnant. My suggestion is probably not the right one for you then. Unless you have extra money to pay a horse to take you through the canyon

Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM

180 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Thank you for such a thoughtful response.

We love backpacking and hiking also, and actually would like to do that, but considering it's gonna be the middle of summer, and even though it is one of the destinations we've been wanting to go for a loooong time, the Grand Canyon might be a little to hot for us.
My wife is also 3 months pregnant so a streneous hike might no be advisable, but we definitely want our trip to be more nature oriented and wouldn't mind camping.

Since you've seen both, which one did you like more; Yosemite or Yellowstone?

Thanks again for your input, it's very helpful.
Both are beautiful and different in their own right and honestly I can't pick which I liked more.

Since your wife is pregnant, and you said you didn't want to hike in extreme summer heats, so visiting a non desert NP would be in the cards. GC, Zion, Arches, Canyonland, ect won't go anywhere. Hit them up in fall or winter is what I would do to avoid summer crowds and heat.

I also just googled a list of airports for SW Airlines and looks like they don't have any going in to Wyoming or Montana (that I could see). So, that might rule out Yellowstone/Tetons if you don't want to add extra $ for airfare. Hmmm, if I had a week & had free tickets via Southwest Airlines, these would be my 3 choices (all theoretically of course )

1.) Fly in Seattle/Tacoma: Check out city, Olympia NP, North Cascades NP, Mt. Ranier.

2.) Fly in San Fran: Check out city, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon

3.) Fly in Denver: Check city, Rocky Mtn National Park & surrounding mtns.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post
Both are beautiful and different in their own right and honestly I can't pick which I liked more.

Since your wife is pregnant, and you said you didn't want to hike in extreme summer heats, so visiting a non desert NP would be in the cards. GC, Zion, Arches, Canyonland, ect won't go anywhere. Hit them up in fall or winter is what I would do to avoid summer crowds and heat.

I also just googled a list of airports for SW Airlines and looks like they don't have any going in to Wyoming or Montana (that I could see). So, that might rule out Yellowstone/Tetons if you don't want to add extra $ for airfare. Hmmm, if I had a week & had free tickets via Southwest Airlines, these would be my 3 choices (all theoretically of course )

1.) Fly in Seattle/Tacoma: Check out city, Olympia NP, North Cascades NP, Mt. Ranier.

2.) Fly in San Fran: Check out city, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon

3.) Fly in Denver: Check city, Rocky Mtn National Park & surrounding mtns.

Thanks so much.
You've been very helpful.

I'm leaning towards #2 & #3. Will need to ask wifie which one she prefers.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or