U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,873,545 times

Advertisements

Petrol is over $2/liter.

Try some of these for accommodations, you can find zimmer frei's and motels in some places.

Airbnb.com
Wimdu.com
Hotelscombined.com
Bedandbreakfast.com
Easytobook.com
Laterooms.com
Priceline
Hotels.com
Bookings.com
Eurobookings.com

I live in Europe and have a VW camper van, so my estimates would do you no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,372,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
assume peak season

assume the industry standard definition of a budget hotel (but when I said comfortable I mean some basic expectations of cleanliness)

by good food I meant not stopping yourself from experiencing the local flavors just because they happen to be expensive

I did forget to mention that this will be from the west coast (Los Angeles), but if you want to give your input from a different departure point in the US please specify

How about these estimates:

3 week road trip across Europe with car rental covering Netherlands/Germany/Austria/Czech Republic/Hungary - est: $5000 (at 1EUR=1.3), considerations are cost of fuel being $8/gal. for diesel, car parking in cities would be extra, car rental and insurance for 3 weeks may be expensive...

3 weeks in Japan from Tokyo down to Hiroshima - est: $3000
considerations - I know the JR pass itself costs $600! other transportation and accomodation in Tokyo may be expensive

2 weeks in Costa Rica and 1 week in Panama - est: $2000
I would agree with your estimates (at least without airfare), although he could probably budget a little bit more. He also leaves CR and Panama a bit undefined as to how he wants to travel...car rentals are popular in at least Costa Rica.

For travel in between the large cities in Europe (which is where most Americans go when they go to Europe), a car is most surely not the way to go, especially for a solo traveler. However, if you want to go on circuit trips to small towns, or simply explore the countryside, a private car can't be beat for the flexibility (and accessibility to otherwise inaccessible places) that it provides.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM

494 posts, read 1,609,562 times
Guys, car was the only option for the route I wanted to go and the number of stops I had enroute it would be very difficult to align to a train schedule even given the fantastic rail network in Europe. With a car I was able to take off when I wanted and stop at scenic lookouts along the way. In addition a lot of my route was in the Black Forest to small towns like Weil Der Stadt with less frequent rail coverage. Finally, driving in the Black Forest (especially the famous B500 - Schwarzwaldhochstrasse) and on the Autobahn was half the fun

So, yes, it's quite a bit more expensive to do it this way but sometimes you spend extra to do things or a certain experience rather than trying to do it in the cheapest possible way. Agree?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM

424 posts, read 410,636 times
How did you achieve this? Lodging is most expensive part of travel cost, last year we travel to europe for three weeks, two of us spent more than $8000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
On personal trips, I use private hospitality / guest homes, not because they are cheap ($10- $20 / night) ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel