U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

634 posts, read 1,501,812 times

Advertisements

I cannot recommend to go to greece now. go to spain, but the good and nice areas are still expensive ( Ibiza or Marbella)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,905,335 times
I went to Spain last year and it was great fun. I had thought about Greece this Fall, but with their economic issues, i decided to hold off on that. Also, i think you would probably get ripped off even more by merchants with their situation over there. Czech Rep. is still at the top of the list for October. I am having a medical procedure done in July, so hopefully i can recuperate in time with no complications to move forward with this vacation.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,764,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post
Brazil comes to mind. As well as Mexico, and it might be a bit cheaper too.
Seriously? Brazil is expensive, even with the recent strengthening of the US dollar. Depending on where OP is, flights are likely to be cheaper to get to Europe than to Brazil (or most places in South America). I would think one could get some good hotel deals in Spain or Greece now (and each is still getting lots of tourists; you might ask a travel agent). Portugal, as well, if you want to play it a little "safer." Brazil is the size of the continental U.S. and domestic flights aren't cheap. One could stick to the area around Rio (including the historic towns in the mountains, and the coast), and for two young guys the scenery would be great, but don't expect low prices. If you go, be sure to avoid the time around New Year's Eve and/or Carnaval, unless you have deep pockets.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,764,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalfant View Post
Yeah, too short a time frame, go to South America instead.
Huh? Flights are as long or longer, and more expensive. And many of the countries are big.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,667,386 times
I don't care for Spain that much. I like beach locations and port cities, and too many of Spain's heavy-hitters are inland: Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, Granada. I sort of like Barcelona. I like Mallorca (Balearics) and Gran Canaria (Canaries) more. However, for the OP's criteria, go with Spain.

I think Greece is more attractive. The endless number of islands, their unique culture/language, and their food wins me over. Then, the archipelagos are different, whether in the Adriatic, the Sporades or the Cyclades. With the exception of Santorini, Mykonos and Corfu, the other Greek islands can be very relaxing.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:15 PM

68 posts, read 105,101 times
I'm from the UK and I like both Greece and Spain and have been looking at a "last minute" week to either of them.

My favourite Greek island is Skiathos - small but perfectly formed! Lots of beautiful beaches, very cheap to get around by local bus, very friendly and reasonably priced food - the last time I was there the small apartment (11 apartments) complex had a small bar and restaurant and the owner used to go to the garden and pick the vegetables and salad stuff you wanted with your meal - superb. I used to get up in the morning and have coffee on the balcony and watch the shepherd taking his sheep to the field.....

Skiathos Greece - Travel guide to Skiathos Island, Sporades Islands

The trouble seems to be only in Athens.

Spain is good too - though I don't like Marbella or Malaga - I prefer Nerja or Frigiliana

Friendly people, good food and wine.

Nerja, Costa del Sol, Andalucia, Spain

Frigiliana, guide to the Andalucian 'white village' of Frigiliana.

For nightlife and clubs, good beaches, plenty to do (not in a cultural sense, though Ibiza has it's own culture) Ibiza is the place to go -

Ibiza Clubbing 2012 - in the World's Party Capital

But cheap it isn't - but if you're young, free and single it's the place to go.....

Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,170,078 times
With only 7 days, might as well head to New Zealand/Australia. As to pricing: Seatguru.com

Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,206,350 times
Barcelona, Barcelona and oh yea Barcelona. Take two days in Madrid too. In Barcelona you will get great food, great nightlife, a beach, water is cold though, it was cold when I went to Greece too in April. Lots of history and soccer there is awesome. Try to plan it to see a game if not you can still visit the Barca museum and stadium which was awesome. I was in Barcelona for 5 months and did travel to Greece for a week. Greece is great but if you never been to either of the two I would 100% advise you Spain/Barcelona.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,368,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieb View Post

The trouble seems to be only in Athens.
Umm, really?

Crisis: Greece, ferry firm cancels routes as cannot buy fuel

13 June, 15:24

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS, JUNE 13 The shipping firm NEL Lines, of the eastern Aegean island of Lesvos, said on Wednesday that it was suspending all routes indefinitely due to a lack of funding to procure fuel, as daily Kathimerini reports. According to a statement by the company, it is owed 8.8 million euros by the state for running routes connecting major ports with remote islands. Sources at the firm indicated that if NEL Lines is not reimbursed, it will sue for damages.

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/n...l_7029220.html

Greece: Ferry companies sound alarm, closing in 3 months

Fewer passengers and rising management costs cause crisis

11 June, 15:43

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS - High fuel and maintenance prices, together with a sharp decline in the number of passengers has brought the Greek ferry companies to their knees (those that manage the connections to and from the islands). The companies have announced that they may have to keep their ferries in port as of September. Their revenues have fallen by an average of 15% compared with the year before, while the outlook for this year is another 10% decline, much too optimistic according to many. The warning was issued again - the first time was in April, when nobody seemed to listen - by the Greek newspaper Kathimerini.

Leaders in the sector have pointed out that fuel prices have risen by 56.8% for normal ferries and by 63% for high-speed ships over the past two years. The price of a tonne of diesel used as fuel by traditional boats is currently 594 euros, against 480 last year and 380 two years ago. High-speed ships pay a much higher price: 783 euros per tonne, against 675 in 2011 and 480 in 2010. ''Due to the sharp increase in fuel prices and their cost, representing 55-60% of a ship's daily expenses, the future of ferry operators is not at all bright,'' said the head of the association of ferry companies (SEEN), who preferred to remain anonymous. ''I am afraid,'' this source added, ''that without the help of the government, who could change regulations allowing us to cut other costs like labour costs, very few ferries will still be in service in the Aegean Sea, not enough to cover the most elementary marine transport requirements of the country."

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/n...s_7017019.html

Crisis: Greece, tour bus drivers on strike from Monday

04 June, 11:42

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS, JUNE 4 - The Greek union representing drivers of touring buses has announced a four-day strike starting from Monday in demand of a renegotiation of a collective contract for their sector following the expiry of the last agreement between employers and employees. Negotiations between drivers and the owners of the buses that have been ongoing since February have reached a deadlock, according to the union, with owners demanding that drivers take a 70% cut in salaries and benefits, or 50% over the 20% reduction they have already seen. The strike - as daily Kathimerini notes - is expected to have a negative impact on tourism, which is already suffering a downturn due to the
economic crisis.

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/n...y_6978773.html

Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,953,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not true at all; at least when it comes to Spain.

I spent two weeks in Spain last month, not to mention three separate trips to Spain last year in May, October and December. All told, we traveled to Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona, Sevilla, Grenada, Malaga, and other cities.

Other than the cost to get there, Spain is a very inexpensive country to visit. Even moreso now that the Euro is under $1.25.
Yes, we were in Spain over Christmas and were amazed at how affordable it was. We were there with our kids and paid for a lot of stuff for them, but never felt like we got less than good value, including the larger cities such as Madrid. Pleasant lodging and delicious food, for a fair price, were the norm, which was very gratifying considering that there were so many of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't care for Spain that much. I like beach locations and port cities, and too many of Spain's heavy-hitters are inland: Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, Granada. I sort of like Barcelona. I like Mallorca (Balearics) and Gran Canaria (Canaries) more. However, for the OP's criteria, go with Spain.
When it comes to Spain's coastal towns, people seem to forget about the north Atlantic of Spain. San Sebastian, Getaria, Ortiguera, LLanes, Comillas, Coruña. June 23-24, many Spanish will converge in Coruña for La Noche de San Juan.
It is breathtakingly gorgeous up there, and less crowded and commercial--more Spanish--than Spain's other beach locations.
Quote:
I think Greece is more attractive. The endless number of islands, their unique culture/language, and their food wins me over. Then, the archipelagos are different, whether in the Adriatic, the Sporades or the Cyclades. With the exception of Santorini, Mykonos and Corfu, the other Greek islands can be very relaxing.
I love Greece and would like to return. We were in the Cyclades in June and the Midsummer Festival seemed to be a big deal with the young people. But if I only had a week to travel, I would not want to get stuck.
(Or maybe I would...)

Obviously both Spain and Greece are going through a tough time now.

I don't know what the OP ended up deciding, but it sounded like he wanted to get out of the US.
If I were in Seattle with 7 days vacation, I'd probably choose Hawaii, getting away from the mainland would have to be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel