U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 PM

328 posts, read 574,515 times

Advertisements

Barcelona is a lot of fun. It's right on the ocean, lots of great nightlife, beautiful women and is relatively inexpensive. Lots of great hostels that are very affordable.

Ibiza is great if you like lots of EDM music and drugs. But it's going to be more expensive than mainland Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 02:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,783,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbus View Post
I realize the mass unrest, not living under a rock. And reports that both need a huge bailout for its banks. With nearly half of Spain's under 25s out of work, and Greek public job cuts it really could get dicey.

I supose Florida is a possibility to travel. Can anyone else recommend some warm climate places to visit outside of the US?

Jaco, Costa Rica - huge beach/surf/party scene for your age group. Its actually not a very big town. Best time to visit is Jan-March, its high season but the best weather. Strongly suggest you avoid any thoughts of visiting the Red Light district in San Jose, it can be a bit dangerous, although violent crime is not the norm in CR. (actually I'd suggest you simply avoid SJ entirely except for the airport & bus station, if necessary). You can travel by bus quite cheaply and I believe that there is a direct airport to Jaco bus service. SJ is NOT a city for first timers to wander around. Watch your gear very closely, people make a living ripping off tourists.

Air from Seattle to SJ currently should run you around $600ish in Jan-Mar timeframe, the balance from $2K/person is more than enough to cover a week's rental/food/booze and miscellaneous expenses. Its best you avoid driving, rentals are expensive and Ticos are some of the worst drivers, with sketchy roads in the world.

Just be aware that more than a few of those lovely ladies you'll meet are professionals - prostitution is legal in CR. Unless you want to spend years in jail, be absolutely sure anybody you play with if you go that route is absolutely over 18. My younger acquaintances familiar with Jaco tell me that there are many non-professional ladies around your age group in season. Its an established international party spot.

I've been a snowbird in CR for a month or two Jan-Mar for numerous years and am very familiar with it. Give a shout if you'd like more information.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-23-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,792,981 times
Weather is good this time of the year because most of those places have a Mediterranean climate. Not much summer rainfall.

I agree with the Hawaii mention though, also not much summer rainfall in Hawaii, if any this time of year.

Depends on your interests.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Hey all-

I'm living in Seattle and looking to take 7 day's vacation off from work to explore the world. My buddy and I are aged 25-28 male with about a 2,000K budget and pretty flexible with lodging ect. I have a few quick question for the travel gurus of this forum:

1) Are Spain and Greece now cheaper to travel to with their economy's in the gutter or more expensive?

2) What web site would you recommend we use to search for cheap tickets... hotel/airfare packages? I'm a bargain hunter and buy most of my clothing online. I'm fine with a slow methodical search.

3) What month is best to visit Spain or Greece? Nice weather and more affordable preferred. Seattle get's really beautiful July and August with the rest of the year drowning us in depressing rain/overcast!

Interests: Soccer, Beach life, Party, Hot Babes, Music festivals and good food.

Thanks!
Both are having serious problems and both will be very pricey unless you travel off season. If it were me I would shoot for mid to late Sept. The weather is still very pleasant but the tourist crowd is gone. If beaches and laid back is your thing you would want Greece, I would take Spain anyday. I am going to add, $2000 isn't a huge budget. I hope you mean per person. You may want to check out the price of cruises? You can see more and probaby be able to do it on your budget.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I realize the mass unrest, not living under a rock. And reports that both need a huge bailout for its banks. With nearly half of Spain's under 25s out of work, and Greek public job cuts it really could get dicey.

I supose Florida is a possibility to travel. Can anyone else recommend some warm climate places to visit outside of the US?
Think Carabbean for cheap but fun. Like I said, you may want to look into cruises, you can see more places for less money, just pick a cruise line that will be have a younger crowd. The best time to travel for budget prices and still good weather would be Oct through mid November. The hurricane season, though officially ends Nov 30, it is rare to have one after mid Oct and cruise prices are at their best in Oct, early Nov, early Dec and Jan.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Barcelona is a lot of fun. It's right on the ocean, lots of great nightlife, beautiful women and is relatively inexpensive. Lots of great hostels that are very affordable.

Ibiza is great if you like lots of EDM music and drugs. But it's going to be more expensive than mainland Spain.
How long has it been since you have been to Barcelona? Yes the hostels are inexpensive but overall it is not an inexpensive place anymore and air fairs this year could eat up their entire budget or almost the entire budget. The rest of what you say is true...

Nita

Old 07-21-2012, 05:07 AM

68 posts, read 105,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Umm, really?

Crisis: Greece, ferry firm cancels routes as cannot buy fuel

13 June, 15:24

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS, JUNE 13 The shipping firm NEL Lines, of the eastern Aegean island of Lesvos, said on Wednesday that it was suspending all routes indefinitely due to a lack of funding to procure fuel, as daily Kathimerini reports. According to a statement by the company, it is owed 8.8 million euros by the state for running routes connecting major ports with remote islands. Sources at the firm indicated that if NEL Lines is not reimbursed, it will sue for damages.

Crisis: Greece, ferry firm cancels routes as cannot buy fuel - Transport - ANSAMed.it

Greece: Ferry companies sound alarm, closing in 3 months

Fewer passengers and rising management costs cause crisis

11 June, 15:43

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS - High fuel and maintenance prices, together with a sharp decline in the number of passengers has brought the Greek ferry companies to their knees (those that manage the connections to and from the islands). The companies have announced that they may have to keep their ferries in port as of September. Their revenues have fallen by an average of 15% compared with the year before, while the outlook for this year is another 10% decline, much too optimistic according to many. The warning was issued again - the first time was in April, when nobody seemed to listen - by the Greek newspaper Kathimerini.

Leaders in the sector have pointed out that fuel prices have risen by 56.8% for normal ferries and by 63% for high-speed ships over the past two years. The price of a tonne of diesel used as fuel by traditional boats is currently 594 euros, against 480 last year and 380 two years ago. High-speed ships pay a much higher price: 783 euros per tonne, against 675 in 2011 and 480 in 2010. ''Due to the sharp increase in fuel prices and their cost, representing 55-60% of a ship's daily expenses, the future of ferry operators is not at all bright,'' said the head of the association of ferry companies (SEEN), who preferred to remain anonymous. ''I am afraid,'' this source added, ''that without the help of the government, who could change regulations allowing us to cut other costs like labour costs, very few ferries will still be in service in the Aegean Sea, not enough to cover the most elementary marine transport requirements of the country."

Greece: Ferry companies sound alarm, closing in 3 months - Transport - ANSAMed.it

Crisis: Greece, tour bus drivers on strike from Monday

04 June, 11:42

(ANSAmed) - ATHENS, JUNE 4 - The Greek union representing drivers of touring buses has announced a four-day strike starting from Monday in demand of a renegotiation of a collective contract for their sector following the expiry of the last agreement between employers and employees. Negotiations between drivers and the owners of the buses that have been ongoing since February have reached a deadlock, according to the union, with owners demanding that drivers take a 70% cut in salaries and benefits, or 50% over the 20% reduction they have already seen. The strike - as daily Kathimerini notes - is expected to have a negative impact on tourism, which is already suffering a downturn due to the
economic crisis.

Crisis: Greece, tour bus drivers on strike from Monday - Tourism - ANSAMed.it
Well I have just come back from a 2 week break in Greece, stayed on Skiathos and visited Skopelos and Thessaloniki (on the mainland).

We had a fabulous time, nothing much has changed, the people are as friendly as ever though there do seem to be a few less tourists around. The Greek people are angry, but they aren't angry at the visitors they are angry at the politicians and bankers.

We were warned by friends to take all of our money in cash as the ATMs would either not dispense the money or keep our cards - this wasn't true by the way, the ATMs worked just fine, dispensed the cash and returned the card. We mentioned this to our Greek hosts and they just laughed and said "how do people think we get our cash?" Life goes on.

Oh, and the tour buses were just fine - we used them for transportation from the airport and back (supplied by our tour operator). No problems. The local buses were just fine too - fares hadn't gone up too much.

The flights were on time, the streets were cleaned, we had no power cuts, the taxis were cheap, the food was delicious and the weather was fantastic.

Perhaps we were lucky - I don't know - all I would say about going to Greece is to be flexible, if you have an itinerary, allow yourself an extra day perhaps in your different venues, carry a couple of days worth of money in cash - just in case (though we never had a problem and nor did anyone else we met). Pretty much what you would do when visiting any foreign country - we even do this when visiting the US. And don't book up too far in advance - we booked 2 weeks before we were due to fly.

We also took some sterling with us too, just in case the currency collapsed. It didn't.

Random strikes are something that in some parts of Europe happen not infrequently (Greek crisis aside) - the number of times we've had vacations delayed because of French air traffic controllers striking or French farmers/truck drivers blocking the channel ports are quite a few. Spanish air traffic has been on strike several times in the past too.

We plan on going back to Greece in September if there hasn't been a significant deterioration in the political system and civil unrest hasn't spread beyond Athens - I mean rioting not strikes - strikes I can cope with - we might get a couple of days extra vacation.....

On the plus side there are some real bargains to Greece at the moment - from the UK but I imagine there are pretty good bargains from the US too. Hotels seem to have brought their prices down significantly. We paid 270 (flights, accommodation (a studio apartment), airport transfers, luggage allowance) each for our trip - normally a trip to Skiathos in early July would be well over 500 each.

Demonstrations take place regularly around Syntagma Square in central Athens; the police have used tear gas to disperse demonstrators in the square - if you go to Athens avoid large gatherings and demonstrations. Keep an eye on the local news.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,373,832 times
Well I can't speak for Greece, but Spain is a blast! I spent a summer there. The economy is tanked there right now but I don't think it will really affect your trip, and furthermore Spain really relies on their tourism industry so I guess in some small way you'd be helping.

Note that in the summer months Spain can get really hot. It's similar to the US in that the coastal cities are far more temperate, but anywhere in Castilla-La Mancha, Andalusia, etc is going to be hot. Seville has an arid climate similar to Phoenix though not quite as hot and perhaps a bit more humid. I traveled to Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo, Segovia, Valencia, and Seville. All are beautiful cities. I had planned to go to Galicia but couldn't fit it in. Next time.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
The Greek people Ive met in Crete, Corfu, Kos and Zante were all lovely.. very friendly with lovely manners, what I liked most though is that I never once got harrassed or asked by anyone to eat in restaurants, clubs etc. no one annoyed me with timeshare on the streets, and why Id go back again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel