U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,137,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam McCord View Post
Wow, okay... damn... looking at Google Earth, the closest town I can see on the 10 side is Plateau, and the closest one on the 20 side is Toyah. Hmmm. Methinks I'll take the added measure of keeping a spare gas tank in my car, just in case.
Here are the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDot) sites that contain a lot of the travel info you might find useful once you reach Texas, including weather, road conditions, maps & routes, toll roads and wireless info connects/web portal info:

TxDot Travel

TxDot Wireless Internet Access

TxDot TexTreks Web Portal

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM

8,181 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Here are the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDot) sites that contain a lot of the travel info you might find useful once you reach Texas, including weather, road conditions, maps & routes, toll roads and wireless info connects/web portal info:

TxDot Travel

TxDot Wireless Internet Access

TxDot TexTreks Web Portal
Great info - thx. I'm going to be driving through Texas next month and that will be useful.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 110,145 times
^

Thanks! That's a great site, and the mileage calculator is especially helpful!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM

866 posts, read 967,851 times
according to "rand mcnally mileage calculator" it is 1435.4 miles from
los angeles to dallas,or 19 hrs.46 min.

breaking it down further it's 822.9 miles from L.A. to El Paso/11 hrs. 18 min...El Paso to Dallas is 624 miles/9 hrs.14 min.

depending on your driving stamina you could realistically make the trip in
a little more than one and a half days stopping at night to sleep.

Let's say you stop overnight in El Paso and fill up the next morning when you leave, you wouldn't need to gas up again til around the Midland/Odessa area on I-20...even if you just stopped and gassed up
in El Paso you would be able to get to the bigger towns before having to gas up again...
anyways that's my thinking, looking at the road atlas and using the
mileage calculator on the web.
enjoy the trip...sorry I can't figure out how to post links...

Last edited by leftmyheartintennessee; 06-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: apologizing for not posting links.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

77 posts, read 110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
according to "rand mcnally mileage calculator" it is 1435.4 miles from
los angeles to dallas,or 19 hrs.46 min.

breaking it down further it's 822.9 miles from L.A. to El Paso/11 hrs. 18 min...El Paso to Dallas is 624 miles/9 hrs.14 min.

depending on your driving stamina you could realistically make the trip in
a little more than one and a half days stopping at night to sleep.

Let's say you stop overnight in El Paso and fill up the next morning when you leave, you wouldn't need to gas up again til around the Midland/Odessa area on I-20...even if you just stopped and gassed up
in El Paso you would be able to get to the bigger towns before having to gas up again...
anyways that's my thinking, looking at the road atlas and using the
mileage calculator on the web.
enjoy the trip...sorry I can't figure out how to post links...
No problem, and thanks for the info! Yeah, that sounds very doable, as I can drive that much in a day. The bit about making it to the bigger towns from El Paso is very encouraging. I'm thinking maybe make it to Midland, gas up, and then maybe make another stop in Abilene to replenish for the final stretch into Dallas.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,953 times
I have many times but not in a while. When I was in college, car travel was the only option and I spent my summers in California even though I lived in the Dallas area. I finally wised up and decided to spend all my time out of Dallas and the only regret I have is not having done it sooner.
Anyway when I made the trip, and according to what I have seen now, there are a few considerations
As previously mentioned, fill your tank before you leave El Paso. DO NOT attempt that stretch from El Paso to Odessa without a full tank, because not only are there stretches with no gas, there are stretches that USED to have gas that have long been shuttered.
If possible, take the southern route through Tucson the reason being that you can go faster on long stretches of the road and spend less time in New Mexico. When I lived in Texas, the biggest crime one could commit in the state of New Mexico was being a resident of Texas. you were guaranteed to be stopped on the higway and accused of some obscure law, made to pay a fine (bribe) kind of like being in Mexico. (A friend who is a deputy in texas says that they have for years done the same shake down to New Mexican residents in retaliation for this)
Carry a gun, I recommend a 357 Magnum, as you do not need an automatic but you need to be able to get off a high power shot should someone try to accost you while driving or at a rest stop.
Finally, if you stop to spend the night, check out the hotel rates and see if coupons are available. I always tried to stay someplace safe, near the highway but now you can check online and get AAA ratings and see how decent a place is. you can even make a reservation if you are certain of your arrival times.
I used to take food with me and eat in the car but I have found some do not miss places along the way.
If you eat in Midland Tx, the truck stop, I kid you not, has the best chicken fried steak you will find outside of your mom's house. It is right on the highway between Odessa and Midland as you are coming into Midland from the West.
Also if you stop at a town called Thurber, TX the diner (near the old smokestack) had inexpensive very tasty food, fast service and friendly people.
I always ate in town in Tucson as I had people there, but I also liked eating at diners and family run spots as opposed to chains. (still do)
IF for some reason you take the northern route through Flagstaff AZ and all of New Mexico, the drive is DULL and not as safe. However Amarillo has great food, and the steaks in Vega TX (west of Amarillo on old Rt 66) at the saloon are very good. But not fast.
I'd recommend the southern route, Through Tucson El Paso
AND pay close attention, as I found out one night on Christmas eve in the dark, the interstate Forks in west Texas and I 10 goes to Dallas and I20 to San Antonio at the fork inn the road and there is no town there. You have to get on I20 to get to Dallas.
PM me if you need any more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or