U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,356 posts, read 11,942,638 times

Advertisements

I am aware of professional tours(photog pros lead) that help novice photographers on tips to take pictures of landmarks, nature, etc. while traveling around the world. Those tend to be expensive though. Anyone know of good sites where just normal vacationers trying to get together for a common date and vacation location helping each other out to get great pics? It would be nice to get advice on occasion for a certain situation from a person who has more experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 AM

14,345 posts, read 14,213,741 times
How about contacting local camera clubs?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM

2,622 posts, read 5,348,964 times
Some of the photographer-oriented websites are possible sources for this info. I am aware of one where there is a regular gathering for the Maryland eastern shore during the migration season and out at Bosque del Apache for sandhill cranes. There may well be others.

I'm not posting links, as I'm not sure I can.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,803,562 times
As rational1 said, you could try photography-specific sites like POTN where they have a regional meetup section.

Other than that, to find good photography locations, I do three things:

1. Go to Flickr and search for the place you're going. Since many cameras come with geotagging, you'll be able to see the exact spot many of the pictures were taken from.

2. Go to Google Maps (or Google Earth) and turn on the Photos layer -- again, you can see pictures taken from various locations. The only caveat for this is that unlike the geotagged map in Flickr (which is automatic by the camera), the geotagging in Google can often be manually done by the user -- so the location may not be exactly where the picture was taken from.

3. Google for any photography tips on the place I'll be visiting. I found a detailed walking photography tour of Prague before I went, put up by a Prague photography club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel