U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times

Advertisements

If you are feeling adventerous, perhaps Bulgaria, Croatia or the Czech Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,558,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This also sounds great!!!! I know I couldn't drive on that side of the road but he might be able to. Other wise, the other way. Sounds wonderful!
Because of the Olympics this year, flights & hotels throughout Europe will most likely be higher then usual.

For 5 to 7 days, I would keep it simple, stick with one or two cities, relatively close to each other by train. You don't want to waste the time at waiting at airport, or on the road.

Given your criteria (short trip, budget, for 2(?) people), you might want to check out Go-today.com for their air/hotel packages.

And when booking accommodations, be very clear if you want two beds. Most of the time 2 beds = 2 twin beds when it comes to budget hotels/b&b. Large hotel chains MIGHT have 2 doubles. Always clarify if that is important to you.

For a path less travelled, have you considered Iceland? The recent economic problems there means you can find some great air/hotel deals. And it has beautiful scenery.

Scotland has all the castles/museums, mountains and lakes...it's a beautiful country, and amazing people. It can be pricey though.

Also many cities have visitors card available, that could save you money on public transportation & museum entrance costs.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

18,655 posts, read 23,230,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you are feeling adventerous, perhaps Bulgaria, Croatia or the Czech Republic.
Always adventurous! I was in Romania and Bulgaria for one day each while in Ukraine.

Interesting place, Eastern Europe!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 PM

18,655 posts, read 23,230,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can get used to it after a few wrong (right) turns and the 4 lane 'rotaries' / traffic circles.

MUCH ez'r if you have a UK car. (always Keep the steering wheel side of car towards center of roadway).

It an be embarrassing when you approach your car and climb in the left seat expecting a steering wheel... Often you shut the door and put on the seat belt, THEN realize the steering wheel is off to your right...

I would also consider a WWII trip to Mtn battle fields / treks (which I have never done), BUT that would be QUITE interesting. (probably northern Italy and SE France).
Here is what I picture ...Remember "National Lampoon's European Vacation?" ...yeah that would be me.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
I can agree that Lisbon would be great. Affordable, and the food is inexpensive, good, and portions are huge.

The only big issue is the cost of getting there. Have you done searches on Yapta?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM

128 posts, read 357,294 times
I would suggest Istanbul. It has castles, rich history, big music scene and it is close to another interesting cities. You can fly directly from U.S.A. to it. You could spend 3 days there ,then take a trip by sea ,road or airplane, to Athena. Which is today, capital city of anarchism. Stay there for the rest of the trip, see all the sites, and flew directly back home.
This travel is cheap, interesting ,little exciting and you could brag. Bouth you and your son, that you where in the middle of the commotion.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,925 times
The Baltics are a great place and sound like what you are looking for. They are cheap, safe, and have a very interesting history that is both ancient (the main cities were all mostly built in the Medieval period) and recent (Soviet occupation). I was just in Tallinn recently and it was great!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
So, to the OP, have you made any progress with your decision-making?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM

12,012 posts, read 16,758,787 times
While I was studying abroad in London, I did a bus trip from Prague to Krakow to Budapest and then to Vienna on our own (with time on our own in Prague and Budapest). I LOVED Krakow. I was there over Easter so most things were closed, but even that was kind of cool! We were there for the Jewish quarter anyway.

Budapest was very funky and cheap. I liked it a lot and would recommend going.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,385,558 times
Years ago we toured several times with Cosmos, and loved it. They were very inexpensive and left from London or you could join the tour on the continent. We got to see a lot of Europe, fast. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it's the best way to get a great overview for the least amount of money. Took my 16-year-old niece once, and she had a great time.

I have traveled on independently through Europe, and probably saw just about the same amount in a 6-week trip as I did on a 10-day bus tour. Of course, you don't have options that you would have traveling independently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel