U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,717,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Since I'm going to Colorado Springs, how's the road from Oakley (Rt 40) directly to CS? I route 70 a divided highway (similar to I-90 & I-80)? I'm just concerned about it taking much longer due to going through towns.

No, you don't want to take US-40 from Oakley, KS. It's all two lane and just comes right back to I-70 at Limon, CO anyhow. Your best bet is to stay on I-70 to Limon, then take US-24 down to the Springs. It's two lanes, but wide and a good road. It brings you into Colorado Springs on the east side of town, near the airport. Take exit number 359 off I-70 in Colorado (where the TA truck stop is on your left, just past the Colorado state scales.), go south about half a mile or so and you'll junction with US-24 west to Colorado Springs.

Yes, I-70 is a 4-lane, controlled access freeway. All interstates are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,710,727 times
I'm moving my daughter and husband out there. He's accepted another position there. Maine is nice, but poor with few opportunities for college grads.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM

28,638 posts, read 62,525,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I-90 to I-271 on the east side of Cleveland, to Columbus, OH...
around Dayton, through Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City and right on into Denver.
Good suggestion. Highly doable.

I was tempted to mention it too... but didn't for two reasons:
1) you seemed to have enough on your plate without add'l options.
2) once past the 400 mi Cleveland to Chicago stretch I-80 is a far nicer road.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,710,727 times
Trip is over and I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. I wanted to add some feedback so others can use this thread to their advantage.

I ended up taking the route recommended here: I-90 to Cleveland, I-70 to Limon, I-24 to Colorado Springs. As I said in my OP, I was driving a 24 foot truck, towing a car dolly.

The route had many positive points about it: the road was almost all controlled access and in very good condition most places, very little construction, no urban driving, lots of truck stops and good diesel access, much of it not toll roads. The problem, for me, was that I was driving a truck/trailer setup that could not be backed up, and there are VERY few pull-thru parking locations after Mass. THERE ARE A LOT OF TRUCKS ON THIS ROUTE!!!!! Thousands and thousands of them. They fill every truck stop and almost every rest area (only the truck areas). Many times I pulled into rest areas only to find that I couldn't even drive through them they were so full of trucks (forget about stopping). I went for many hours not being able to stop anywhere to eat or use the rest room because there was no parking available. I spent one night in a Home Depot Parking lot (with four other trucks). Once in Western Missouri and Kansas the rest areas opened up a bit so I could sleep the second night in a rest area, but don't count on it.

So, if I were to do it again (with the same setup), I'd probably ask the knowledgeable people here about the I-80 route and see if it would have fewer of the problems I noted above. If so, I'd probably try that one, keeping in mind that the route brings Chicago into the equation. But, when I drive my car over there this fall, I'm probably going to take the I-70 route again since most of my problems were truck/trailer related.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

16,542 posts, read 21,037,244 times
You did the right thing regarding by getting down to I-70 and then to highway 24. It's been a couple years since I've been on 70 through Kansas and Missouri, but not I-80 as I have friends in Omaha and Council Bluffs and was through there a few months ago. There's been a lot of stretches on 80 with paving. And you're right, I-70 is a major truck route, IMO I-80 is even busier, particularly when you get east of North Platte.

Hope the job with your son-in-law works out. They'll like Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel