U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:10 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,704,913 times

Advertisements

Mapquest is showing that I should drive my moving van (pulling a trailer), on I-90, then to I-80 until I turn off towards Denver. Anyone have any tips about this route? I know this is a general question, but since I've never driven out there, anything would be a great help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
I can get you from Des Moines to Denver. I-80 from Des Moines to Omaha is a little hilly but nothing extreme. From Omaha to Big Springs, NE (where you'll hit I-76) is as flat as a board, but you'll gain about 2000 feet in elevation without realizing it.

I-76 from Nebraska to Denver has a few hills here and there. The biggest one you'll go up is just past Wiggins along the Weld/Morgan County line, but it's only a couple hundred feet of vertical gain.

Depending on when you're doing the move, the weather in Nebraska and Eastern Colorado can get dicey. We're late into severe weather season right now so tornadoes aren't as likely, but you may encounter thunderstorms nonetheless.

Distance between exits with fuel stops won't be a huge concern until you get to North Platte, NE. From there west it could be 30-50 miles between towns with services.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I can get you from Des Moines to Denver. I-80 from Des Moines to Omaha is a little hilly but nothing extreme. From Omaha to Big Springs, NE (where you'll hit I-76) is as flat as a board, but you'll gain about 2000 feet in elevation without realizing it.

I-76 from Nebraska to Denver has a few hills here and there. The biggest one you'll go up is just past Wiggins along the Weld/Morgan County line, but it's only a couple hundred feet of vertical gain.

Depending on when you're doing the move, the weather in Nebraska and Eastern Colorado can get dicey. We're late into severe weather season right now so tornadoes aren't as likely, but you may encounter thunderstorms nonetheless.

Distance between exits with fuel stops won't be a huge concern until you get to North Platte, NE. From there west it could be 30-50 miles between towns with services.
On this section, are there rest areas? Is diesel fuel readily available? Since I'm hauling a vehicle, I CAN'T back up lol.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
On this section, are there rest areas? Is diesel fuel readily available? Since I'm hauling a vehicle, I CAN'T back up lol.
Yes. There are a handful of rest areas in on I-80 in Iowa and Nebraska, and there are 3 along I-76 between the Colorado/Nebraska line and Denver (although the ones in Wiggins and Sterling are just off the freeway). Diesel fuel won't be a problem at all. I-80 has a high amount of semi traffic, and I-76 serves as a connector for I-70 & I-80.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
On this section, are there rest areas? Is diesel fuel readily available?
Since I'm hauling a vehicle, I CAN'T back up lol.
Plenty. Calm down.

Once you're past the middle (Chicago)... it's all cake.
The toughest part of your trip (aside from the 80/90 stretch betw Cleveland and Chicago)
is getting past NY into Ohio.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Plenty. Calm down.

Once you're past the middle (Chicago)... it's all cake.
The toughest part of your trip (aside from the 80/90 stretch betw Cleveland and Chicago)
is getting past NY into Ohio.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not really panicked (though it might sound that way lol). I drove a larger truck (pulling a trailer) from D.C. to Maine last year without much of a problem. The difference here is that it is a more than one day drive and a diesel truck. I'm planning to not stray from the route and sleep in the truck if possible.

I'm picking up I-90 off I-495 in Mass and sticking to it, until I-80.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement.
The difference here is that it is a more than one day drive and a diesel truck.
By the time you get to Albany you'll know how many miles you can go before getting to the 1/4 tank mark and then filling up... and you'll NEVER be more than 30 miles from a diesel fuel station the entire trip.

I'll suggest small things like filling up in Erie and planning to ride right past Cleveland...
no stopping until you're far west... maybe even Toledo
and if possible to do that 4 hours or so before 6AM or after 8PM weekdays.

Likewise... filling up in South Bend and rolling through to Davenport IA
and similarly trying to avoid the 6A-8P weekday Chicago traffic.

It'll be hard to manage both.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-13-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,686,086 times
You're going to pay an awful lot of tolls on that route. It'll be a toll road from wherever you get on the Mass Pike in MA all the way across NY and from Cleveland nearly all the way to Chicago. Take lots of cash because you'll need it. Fuel and other services are readily available on the toll roads, but the prices generally are much higher than off the toll roads. It would up to you whether or not you wanted to exit the turnpike to find cheaper fuel.

The terrain won't be bad as it's just rolling hills to flat all the way to Denver. Your biggest challenge is going to be the major urban areas you'll have to navigate through. Albany and Buffalo won't be much of a problem unless you hit them at the wrong time of day because the tollroads have limited access. Cleveland can be confusing and crowded and you'll go right past downtown. In NW Indiana and the Chicago area the highways are always crowded and trucks (including yours) are restricted to the 2 right lanes. Since nobody wants to drive in the right lane where all the ramp traffic is, that means the slowest trucks will be in your passing lane and you'll have to pass them on the right, which means you basically won't be able to because of that ramp traffic. It's a frustrating and irritating drive.

If you're worried about having to back up, here's a couple of suggestions:

Stop only at major truck stops or turnpike service plaza's. There are plenty all along that route. The advantage is that there is plenty of room.

Look for a way out before you pull into any place. Quickly survey where you're wanting to stop and find your exit before you find your entrance. In other words, don't drive into a dead end because you weren't looking. That's particularly important when parking at a motel. If you have to, park in the road and go look or ask before pulling in. Not all motel parking lots go all the way around the building. Some of them dead-end around back! And, be constantly aware of your width and height.

When you do park for the night, take thought of how that parking lot will look in the morning if the motel fills up. You'll have to park across several car parking spaces, so leave your nose just barely into the one in front of you to prevent someone from blocking you in. Whenever possible, stop fairly early in the day so you'll have the whole parking lot to yourself and can pick a spot from which you easily leave the next morning. The LAST thing you want to do is come out in the morning and find someone parked right across both ends of your truck. You'll be there until they get up.

For an alternate, you might consider this route. The terrain and service availability are just as good, but it avoids tolls and the Chicago/NW Indiana area:

I-90 to I-271 on the east side of Cleveland, to I-71 south down to Columbus, OH. Take the I-270 loop west around to I-70 west. That will take you around Dayton, through Indianapolis (just go straight through the middle), St. Louis (I-270 around the north side of town and back to I-70), Kansas City (no problems) and right on into Denver.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
For an alternate, you might consider this route. The terrain and service availability are just as good, but it avoids tolls and the Chicago/NW Indiana area:

I-90 to I-271 on the east side of Cleveland, to I-71 south down to Columbus, OH. Take the I-270 loop west around to I-70 west. That will take you around Dayton, through Indianapolis (just go straight through the middle), St. Louis (I-270 around the north side of town and back to I-70), Kansas City (no problems) and right on into Denver.
Since I'm going to Colorado Springs, how's the road from Oakley (Rt 40) directly to CS? I route 70 a divided highway (similar to I-90 & I-80)? I'm just concerned about it taking much longer due to going through towns.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 AM

540 posts, read 1,936,518 times
Did you mention why the move? Bangor seems like a nice place to be???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel