U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM

61 posts, read 179,419 times

Advertisements

We live in Florida and will be relocating to Olympia in the summer. I'd like to make the road trip into a bit of a vacation at the same time to break up the drive. Any suggestions for must-see stops along the way? I'm looking into Mount Rushmore and a possible stay at Yellowstone. Any other suggestions? Also for anyone who has made this trek before, are there any routes better than others? I'll be driving with 3 kids ages 4, 9, and 11 and whiile we do tourist traps, we also like the oddball stuff too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
High tail it up North (I-75 to Cinncinati; I-74 past Indanapolis; I-39 at Bloomington IL)
then follow the Lewis and Clark trail the rest of the way.

The Lewis and Clark Trail

Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM

773 posts, read 1,640,262 times
Crazy horse memorial is close to Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands national park is a nice scenic drive that is also close by it has a really cool alien like landscape due to erosion and then there is wall sd with its famous wall drugs where you can see a life sized jackalope. Yellowstone is really great too if you go check out the Grand Tetons just below Yellowstone and the town of Jackson Hole WY is kinda neat. In Colorado if you go that way is pikes peak a 14000 ft mountain you can drive to the top and just outside is a park with kool rock formations called garden of the gods. of course you have crater lake national park with some great mountain scenery and a really deep clear blue lake! Olympic national park was a great visit and once you get to Olympia go see the cape flattery the north western most point in the lower 48 there is a really cool light house on a island about a mile offshore that has boat tours to see the lighthouse. if you get the chance go to the southernmost point in florida before you leave on your move and then you will only have two corners left to visit to complete the 4 corners of the lower 48!! I have personally been to every one of these places i have mentioned if you have any more questions about them just ask. good luck with the long drive with the little ones it ought a be one fun adventure!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,454,215 times
If you're going to be in the Black Hills, a drive through the Custer State Park wildlife loop is usually worth the price of admission. If you go at the right times (I've heard best times are morning and evening when it's cooler), you may find yourself driving through the huge herd of buffalo. There is also a friendly band of donkeys (begging burros) that hangs out along the loop. You can actually get out and pet them. They will force you to stop and stick their big heads in your car window looking for food. Make sure you have carrots or apples or something healthy for them! LOL There's also Needles Highway, which I have yet to see. Your kids might have fun getting out and climbing on the rocks. Jewel Cave is pretty cool, but you have to make reservations in advance. If you show up and expect to get tickets for that day's tours, you will be disappointed. Some other tourist places that kids might like...Reptile Gardens, Bear Country, Cosmos Mystery Area (never been there), 1880 Train in Hill City. If you're actually in Rapid City, there's a park called Storybook Island that is pretty fun for young kids, and I believe it's free.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM

33 posts, read 50,298 times
You should spend a few days in Yellowstone. It might be one of the best things you ever do. You can see the Grand Tetons too while you're there, because they're basically right down the street. My other favorite spot is Sedona, Arizona.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM

647 posts, read 1,038,079 times
Second the Grand Tetons; absolutely stunningly beautiful. Suggest you do a tour as you'll find out more interesting facts that just driving yourself. Yellowstone is awesome; also, consider a ride down the Snake river (Jackson Hole, WY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or