U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times

Advertisements

[quote=danielsa1775;24822831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

Ahh but i am entitled to my opinion, im just not interested in holidaying in places where the majority of the population speak english, I forgot to add I dont have any interest in visiting New Zealand either ( though my parents did take me there as a child).

Some people hear have said south korea, and thats why i like the place, its asian, its korean and it has very little western influence in it compared to places like Thailand, I LIKE travelling for days on end withhout seeing a white english speaking person.

Nothing against americans or canadians personally, Ive met lots of wonderfull people from that part of the world, im just not interested in going thats all, and if i did the first place i would go is Quebec.
Really? South Korea actually seems one of the more Westernized nations to me, although it's still very traditional. It's about 1/3 Christian (largely through the efforts of American missionaries), baseball is popular, as are western style pop songs etc, a lot of other American cultural things, and the link with the expat community in the US. Thailand doesn't strike me as very western aside from Western tourists. The average Thai locals are still very Thai/Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM

3,521 posts, read 5,469,154 times
[quote=Trimac20;24823475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Really? South Korea actually seems one of the more Westernized nations to me, although it's still very traditional. It's about 1/3 Christian (largely through the efforts of American missionaries), baseball is popular, as are western style pop songs etc, a lot of other American cultural things, and the link with the expat community in the US. Thailand doesn't strike me as very western aside from Western tourists. The average Thai locals are still very Thai/Asian.
Poor choice of words Trimac, i was talking about all the the tourist you find in thailand

Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 21,941,997 times
the only 1st world country I would not travel to is Belgium, I hate their waffles.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,190,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the only 1st world country I would not travel to is Belgium, I hate their waffles.
LOL! I'm sure there's much more to Belgium than just waffles ...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

328 posts, read 574,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
LOL! I'm sure there's much more to Belgium than just waffles ...
Racism.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM

472 posts, read 794,548 times
I disagree with you, but it's nice to hear someone question the Travel Gospel.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM

7,751 posts, read 9,059,073 times
Scandinavia has not held much interest for me. I'm sure it's a great place, but I just haven't had a strong desire to see it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM

889 posts, read 1,016,896 times
Australia.

I've been to most of the "first world" countries in Europe and I did find them interesting and diverse. And I would like to go to the ones I haven't yet (Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland) Mostly because a lot of them still have a lot of historical connections and their own unique style/traditions. Australia though, doesn't really have those historical connections and it's also very far away and very expensive to get to, so that makes it even less appealing.

I probably would not be very interested in visiting the United States if I didn't already live here either.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,721,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's like Mall shopping, they're all the same
Yup good point if you were dropped off in Lyon it would be pretty much the same as if you were dropped off in Osaka. People look the same, food is the same, local customs are the same, history and things to see and do are the same. No difference at all since both 1st world countries. I'd probably struggle to tell you which of the two I was in if you blindfolded me and pushed out of a van on the street in either place.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM

12,313 posts, read 15,224,755 times
Canada. Too much like the United States. Portugal, too much like Spain. Andorra, famous mostly by the Pete Seeger song, too small to be of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel