U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you travelled across the USA (from the Atlantic to Pacific coast or vice versa)?
Yes 49 66.22%
No 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM

895 posts, read 2,551,884 times

Advertisements

Hummm!
We have done it 3 times, one in the winter and twice in summer and spring..My husband is retired navy and we did the 2nd half of the 1st trip in the winter, from NYC to Travis AFB CA the other two on our own with no sightseeing agenda ..If you were to talk to the military who post you would get a real handle on what its like in a limited time frame..
To drive coast to coast is something I think everyone should do once in their life as really can feel what we are about in different parts of the country..The last time we did it was in a motorhome so met lots of special people.
Enough said..
Happy travels everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,190,933 times
Atlantic to Pacific, no. I have traveled from North to South, though.

My dad did a Greyhound cross country back in the 80s, however.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,349,406 times
One thing I've noticed here in Minnesota is that while road trips of the Western U.S. tend to be popular, there aren't many people who do road trips, around say, New England, unless they have a good reason to (family living out there, job, etc.).

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM

33 posts, read 50,285 times
I did 11,500 miles between June 11 and August 2. Started in Raleigh, spent time in Asheville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, OK City, Amarillo, Santa Fe, Taos, Flagstaff, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Zion National Park, Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, San Francisco, Redwoods National and State Parks, The Oregon Country Fair, Crater Lake, Boise, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Boulder, and then back to Raleigh. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it. My favorite spots were Yellowstone, Sedona, Taos, and Santa Fe. At some point I would love to take US 191 from the Canadian to the Mexican border. I believe it goes through or near Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton, Flaming Gorge, Monument Valley, Canyonlands, and Arches. That's a lot of natural wonder for one road, and I can't think of any one road in the US that would offer as much scenery.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM

5,590 posts, read 3,934,409 times
Nope, but I want to one day. Only problem is I'm nowhere near a coast.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM

39,559 posts, read 47,791,125 times
Disneyland CA to Disneyworld FL, I-10 most of the way.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,853,134 times
Yup, several times here and hope to do it again soon. The first time was in the 1950's. It was from Portland, OR to cental Ohio. It was my mom, me age 6ish my little bro age 3ish, my cousin age 7ish and my aunt in an UN-AIRCONDITIONED station wagon, we drove back too sans the cousin and aunt.

This time I hope to do it in a Casita TT when I sell my place. I love the idea of taking my bathroom, bed and kitchen with me.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
I've got a couple million miles of driving under my belt (seriously). The longest run I made in a weeks time (maybe 10 days) was Pensacola, Florida to San Mateo, California. All of it was on Interstate 10.

Overnight stops were Mobile, Houston, Ft. Stockton Texas, Tucson, Los Angeles, then San Mateo. It was early March so weather wasn't a huge concern except one spot-New Mexico between the El Paso/Las Cruces area to the Arizona state line. A dust storm to beat all dust storms. I got behind this Roadway Express tractor trailor and stayed behind him at 25 to 30 m.p.h. and stayed right behind him. Whew, what a storm!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,411,436 times
Had to answer no, but I've driven from west Texas to Alaska, then back to Iowa. I've driven from Wyoming to both coasts, but that's certainly not coast to coast either. Unless you live on one of the coasts, driving coast to coast isn't going happen often, but long drives aren't uncommon. Our last "long drive" was from Wyoming to the Washington coast, then down the coastline to San Francisco, over to Tucson and back to Wyoming. This summer we're going from Wyoming to the Oregon coast and back, camping for two weeks. We hope to begin fulltime RVing in a few years, but I doubt we'll ever go from coast to coast unless we take a year to do it.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM

306 posts, read 519,061 times
I've done road trips Every year for the past 15 years. Been on both coast but at different times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or