U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you travelled across the USA (from the Atlantic to Pacific coast or vice versa)?
Yes 49 66.22%
No 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,056,756 times

Advertisements

Not me...yet....but i want to do it by Amtrak. This is more comfortable than sitting in a cramped car and I do not have to drive. So why not fly? Because I actually want to see the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,989,228 times
Taking the train is a nice way to see the country, but be prepared for Amtrak-style travel. Which is to say, don't make the mistake of scheduling your train connections too close together; hours-long delays (especially during summer) are common. Onboard food is expensive. And don't plan a cross-country trip without getting a sleeper car, unless your bones are made of rubber, because having to sleep in coach is pretty miserable after a few days.

The scenery can be brilliant, or it can be awful. You will go through beautiful areas, but also through the worst slums of the cities (which is where railroad tracks tend to go).

I did a 10-day trip many years ago, so they may have gotten their act together since then, I don't know. I would do it again, but would do some things differently (would have taken sleeper car, for sure).

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times
The year I graduated college my parents gave me an unlimited 3 month pass to use Greyhound Buses. I started in Fort Lauderdale and traveled by bus westward - making many stops - via Orlando, Tallahassee, Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. My return home was via Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Fort Smith, Birmingham, and Atlanta.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

452 posts, read 756,018 times
I have, but not straight across and all at one time. I went from Washington state to Jackson, MS on a move. The rocky mountains were beautiful from what I remember (I was younger when that took place) Then from MS to upstate NY and back down through the east coast to MS again. I also have travelled from MS to California making it through the south and the south west to San Diego, CA. Then up the west coast back to my home state, Washington. This was within a years period. Ive been to roughly around half of the states. Now my family mostly travels by plane.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 07-02-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 AM

469 posts, read 764,132 times
Actually done it 4 time with the added bonus of Los Angeles to Fairbanks Alaska.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,774,930 times
San Clemente, CA to Manchester, NH - 52 hours, 3000 miles, with two drivers, stopping only for restrooms and occasional food. We tried to sleep in shifts, but I really couldn't sleep, so was a zombie after the first 12 hours. I remember almost nothing of this trip and wouldn't recommend doing something like this.

Traveled from So Cal to Wisconsin and back twice as a kid over a three week period, two weeks of travel, had a great time, saw a lot of great places.

Traveled from So Cal to Wall Drug, South Dakota and back by a different route in 1997, stopping at many national and state parks, camping, over a two week period, fantastic trip.

So much of the country to see and so little time to do it.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,603,434 times
I prefer the convenience of flying.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
We do Arizona to Massachusetts round trip at least once a year ... about 2800 miles by the direct route, more depending on what we want to see. We usually try to vary the route so that we can see different parts of the country. Last year we stopped at Niagra Falls and then visited friends in Cleveland. Another year we took I70 and then came down through Utah stopping at Moab and visiting several national parks. This year we are talking about cutting up through the Dakotas and seeing the sites up there.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,246,787 times
I don't live on the Atlantic coast, so driving all the way to the Atlantic and then to the Pacific would be a bit... unnecessary. I've driven to Florida many times, driven to Colorado both from Michigan and from South Florida. Now that I'm no longer in high school I can afford to fly and 95% of the time I just hop on a flight.

There are certain times that I do like to drive. Personally, I love driving through the midwest states.. I find it peaceful.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times
I've always wanted to do this. But my wife, in her executive slot, can't really stay away from the office for the two weeks it would take to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or