U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you travelled across the USA (from the Atlantic to Pacific coast or vice versa)?
Yes 49 66.22%
No 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Anyone hazard a guess? 25%? 10%?

Have you personally done it and how was the experience for you?

I went from LA to Boston, taking just under a month (3 weeks with Trek America), and had a blast, seeing a lot of the major sights along the way. Next time I might do another cross country trip but this time along the north or central part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
I've done it enough to make up for a lot of you slackers, eight or ten times I can remember offhand. I'm driving Arizona to Philly this weekend and went to San Francisco last month so I guess that would be another. I love to drive and so does my wife so our bone of contention is who will drive the next tankful. I'm having a hard time selecting a route I haven't travelled without getting too backroad

Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,606,240 times
I have driven from Ft. Lauderdale Florida to Ocean Shores Washington.
An incredible drive with much beauty seen along the way.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
The summer after I graduated from college, I did a cross country trip with 3 friends from New Hampshire to the West Coast and back. It was a fantastic trip, although it would've been better if our car hadn't experienced vapor lock at high altitudes and high temperatures. That put significant stress on about 4 days of the 21-day, 9,000 mile journey. Otherwise, it was a blast.

Obviously you can't see or do nearly as much as you'd like to with only a 3 week round trip journey given the sheer amount of driving involved, but it did inspire me to return to certain places along the journey for future trips.

Day 1: Bristol, NH to Niagara Falls, NY
Day 2: Niagara Falls, NY to Chicago, IL
Day 3: Chicago, IL to Sioux Falls, SD via Iowa City, IA
Day 4: Sioux Falls, SD to Custer State Park, SD via the Badlands
Day 5: Custer State Park, SD to Yellowstone National Park, WY
Day 6: Yellowstone National Park, WY
Day 7: Yellowstone National Park, WY to Missoula, MT via Grand Teton National Park
Day 8: Missoula, MT to Seattle, WA
Day 9: Seattle, WA to Portland, OR via Mt. Rainier National Park
Day 10: Portland, OR to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, CA via Route 101
Day 11: Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, CA to San Francisco, CA
Day 12: San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA via Pacific Coast Highway
Day 13: Los Angeles, CA to Las Vegas, NV
Day 14: Las Vegas, NV to Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Day 15: Grand Canyon National Park, AZ to Grand Junction, CO
Day 16: Grand Junction, CO to WaKeeney, KS via Denver
Day 17: WaKeeney, KS to St. Louis, MO
Day 18: St. Louis, MO to Fayetteville, WV via Old Frankfort Pike, KY
Day 19: Fayetteville, WV to Washington, DC
Day 20: Washington, DC to New Brunswick, NJ via Amish Country
Day 21: New Brunswick, NJ to Bristol, NH via New York City

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

13,104 posts, read 24,880,333 times
No but it's on my list

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times
I worked just outside Baltimore for a summer, and DH drove our camper van over to pick me up when it got to be October. We drove back west, avoiding the interstates (although Highway 80 does a pretty good imitation of an interstate . We aimed at visiting my far-dispersed family, and driving away from impending winter weather. So we couldn't take as long as we would have liked.

Weather caught up with us in Tucson, and we decided to splurge on a motel. Good call, too, because the gale that night was something ferocious! To stay in the camping spirit, though, we didn't go to Denny's for dinner. We brought in our "emergency food" from the van, and DH managed to put together a pretty darn luxurious beef stew dinner.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM

75 posts, read 126,419 times
My husband and I - before we were married - spent 5 weeks doing it. We did DC to San Fran, down the coast to San Diego, back to DC. We skipped the South but that was it. It was awesome. My favorite moments were camping at the Grand Canyon, a hostel/b&b in Yosemite, and a haunted little place in Flagstaff.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,078,290 times
5 or 6 coast to coast rides on one of my m'cycles. (Some of the trips were occasionally 'fuzzy', but at least 5, lol!)
And, a 13,000 mile Road Trip, this time last summer. I rec'd it for anyone that has the time and interest...
GL, mD

13,000 Mile 2 Month Road Trip...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
I chose yes, but reading on here I wonder if I have done what you think is a road trip. We drive to our timeshare locations.

In 1980 I traveled to Dayton, Ohio with our two children. That was a wild trip. My husband was already there in a computer school so we played in the pool and toured around Miamisburg while he worked.

Few years back, we drove to Tampa and I when over to the Clearwater area while he studied another work process. We had the evenings and week ends together.

In 1990 we drove from our home near Charlotte to San Diego to see our son's graduation from basic training in the Navy. We drove out on I-20 most of the way and took I-40 back home. We did some stops along the way home at the London Bridge and Grand Canyon. We were planning to see other places but our son wanted to go home and see his girlfriend ASAP.

Last year we drove from our home to Ventura, California and stayed at Harbortown Point for a week where we took two boat trips out to the Channel Islands. One trip we landed on one of the islands and the other trip was just animal watching. We really enjoyed that. We passed over the Mississippi River at Memphis during the big flood. There was water lapping at the road in Arkansas both going and coming. One rest stop was closed because of the flood on the way home.

We have traveled to San Antonio on I-10. We stayed at the La Cascada for a few days and did the tourist things there, such as the Alamo. La Cascada had a tour bus that allowed us to park our car and not get back into it until we checked out . My husband had training in the Air Force there and we visited the base before we checked into our condo. On our way home we visited another base where he had been on the Gulf Coast. That was when the sand was being cleaned from the oil spill. It was mostly clean.

We enjoyed seeing the Gulf Coast so we chose Panama City Beach for our vacation last year. We have one Comfort Inn that we have stayed at so much that they are beginning to see us as regulars when we go through. I think it is LaGrange, Georgia. Such a friendly place.

Other places we have driven to: Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Fairfield Bay, Arkansas--we took an extra day and traveled most of the way there on Highway U. S. 64. Highway 64 goes all the way to four corners and I am hoping some day to finish that little adventure.

Nashville, Tennessee--We haven't been back there since the flood. It flooded the timeshare we stayed at there. I had almost booked for the week it flooded. Lucky I didn't or our car would have been under water. I understand it was a flash flood. Many cars were under water.

Fairfield Glade, Tennessee--we went to several state parks in that area. Beautiful and lots of wildlife.

Smoky Mountains Resort near Gatlinburg, Tennessee--we also drove across the Smoky Mountains on the way home.

We have been to Lake Lure and Sapphire Valley to the timeshare locations and toured the area and the waterfalls.

We have been to Fort Lauderdale to two different timeshares at two different times. Fairways of Palm Aire and Santa Barbara Resort. Florida is hot even in December. I don't like hot.

We have been to Edisto Island several different times. This is a favorite place to finish up our points since the places there are not so point expensive. Prefer cooler times there too.

We have stayed at two timeshare locations at Myrtle Beach on several different trips. We live between two and three hours from Myrtle Beach.

New Bern is another favorite for us. I am hoping to get back there soon in one of the Winter months.

Duck, N. C. is a favorite Outer Banks area to stay and enjoy the horses of Corolla and all the lighthouse locations. I forget how many, but there were several.

Then there is Williamsburg, Virginia. We have been to all three of our timeshare locations there.

Hilton Head Island, S. C. we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the ocean.

Right now I am looking at Massanutten, Virginia and Smugglers' Notch, Vermont. We are also looking at Rapid City and Yellowstone. I am in the mood for cool weather since our nothing Winter this year. We spent a week at Woodstone at Massanutten a few years back with our daughter and her child. Her husband dropped them off and spent the week end before going back to work.

Oops! I forgot Flagstaff and Denver. We have driven and spent time at both locations. I was looking at Steamboat Springs before all the fires started this year. Think we will skip Colorado this year. When we were in Denver we drove across Rocky Mountain National Park.

You can see many of the locations I mentioned at this website. This is not where I get my reservations though. www.extraholidays.com

One day I realized it would be possible to use the above website and plan a trip across the country by staying a week at each location about a day apart. I think there is just one stretch where we would have to use a hotel or motel. I just got an e-mail telling me about discounts for me that would cost $199 a week in different size condos from a hotel room to a three bedroom condo. Can't get my husband interested in staying this long on a trip though. I didn't see that discount on this website. I reserve at a place that has a password.

Last edited by NCN; 06-20-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM

25,314 posts, read 41,403,916 times
Miami to San Francisco over a five month period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or